"brake" & "ABS" errors on 1999 E450

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

joslef10

"brake" & "ABS" errors on 1999 E450

Post by joslef10 »

My Born Free has the above errors. The owners manuel ses to get it serviced right away. I dont have the service manuel (as yet!!) I checked the resevoir, the brakes work well, etc. Can anyone on the board give me a clue ? ? Joe Lefebvre Baton Rouge
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

If you are getting a ABS failure, one of the most causes on the Ford chassis are the senders in one of the wheels. They are not expensive and if you don't get the information how to check them, Ford will know the problem. It doesn't take very long to fix if they have the parts in stock

It could be something else but most of the time it is one of the sendersl.

Don USN ret
Past owner of a Born Free
Kerry and Kim Martin

ABS codes

Post by Kerry and Kim Martin »

Our 1999 BF started showing the "brake/abs" light after a rough road on I-5 out of Seattle. It goes off after you turn the ignition off. Comes on again sporadically, usually after a sharp jolt in the road. Had it checked at Ford - computer code C1229 - the rear ABS sensor. Had it replaced. 5000 miles later had it replaced again - warranty on the part. Occasionally the light comes on but now I just ignore it. I am coming to the conclusion that there may be a wire abrasion or loose connection somewhere that when jolted just right, causes the lights to come on. Met another BF owner with a 1996 unit. Same problem. He gave up and ignores the light. We still have brakes, just that we might or might not have ABS. Good luck.
ronpurdum

possible fix

Post by ronpurdum »

I had this problem while in Texas. Ford wanted $60 just to put the vehicle on the computer and another $120 to $150 to repair it. In speaking to another mechanic; he told me to check the sensor on the rear differential. Bought a new one for $27 at another Ford dealer. One 3/8 cap screw (7/16 head) and a wire connector and the sensor pops out and installed the new one and problem solved. Sensor sits on the upper drivers side of the differtial and is the only thing that has wires to it. Takes about 10 minutes to remove and install. Hope this helps.
joslef10

brake lite failure

Post by joslef10 »

Thanx to ronpurdun, kerry & tim, w5vthdonb for your responses. Esp thanx to ronpurdun cause I couldn't figure where they were located...
I may look at them myself!
Joe Lefebvre Baton Rouge
BFrees

Post by BFrees »

Concerning the problem with the ABS light and Brake light coming “onâ€
Ed & Ann Marie
2002 24' RSB
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

Excellent post, Ed.
I used similar tape on the rigging of my sailboat, never thought of using this type of tape in this way. Much better than the typical electrical tape that unwinds after a while unless you smear some type of goop on it. Amazon has single rolls of it for @ $10, in clear or colors. I think I will get some, then crawl under my BF and tape these connections, and any other vulnerable ones I see. If this tape is like the boat rigging tape, it can be removed without too much trouble.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
joslef10

BF Connectors

Post by joslef10 »

HI ED & ANN, My prob was fixed in 2006. This is the 2'nd time . My previous rig was a 1999 Discovery which was fixed in 2000. Both rigs were
bad connections in the same plug over the diff. THANKS for ur reply
L.L.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”