My Solar Install

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Trix

My Solar Install

Post by Trix »

Mary and Stevek have both requested details, so here goes. Apolgies for the long post(s). Hopefully I won't confuse anyone.

Greg Holder of AMSolar did an educational talk at a rally I attended last September. After the rally, I went to his facility in Springfield for a consultation. In December I returned for the install. They prefer you be onsite the day before and the day after they work on your rig to ensure all is working properly. I opted for a complete system, because they are acknowledged experts, and there is a federal tax credit of 30% on 'solar systems'.
Attachments
They upgraded my old Magnatek charger to the newer PD4655.
They upgraded my old Magnatek charger to the newer PD4655.
PD4655 ConverterCharger.jpg (72.93 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
They removed my old battery tray, installed a plywood mount and two AGM 300 AH 6 volt batteries. In the foreground you can see the shunt, the switch for the controller and the switch for the inverter.
They removed my old battery tray, installed a plywood mount and two AGM 300 AH 6 volt batteries. In the foreground you can see the shunt, the switch for the controller and the switch for the inverter.
2 AGM batteries.jpg (112.36 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
Four 100 watt panels on the roof of my 24' Rear Bath. Underneath the third panel from the left, you can just see a small black blob, that is Greg's patented combiner box. Yes, I allowed him to drill a hole thru my fiberglass roof into the cupboard over th
Four 100 watt panels on the roof of my 24' Rear Bath. Underneath the third panel from the left, you can just see a small black blob, that is Greg's patented combiner box. Yes, I allowed him to drill a hole thru my fiberglass roof into the cupboard over th
4 100w panels and combiner box.jpg (128.08 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
learning RV'g in my 2007 24' RB
2011 Subaru Forester toad
Trix

Post by Trix »

Continued:
Attachments
They pulled wire from the inverter in the upper cabinet thru the rollbar chase over to the opposite side of the coach. The white box above is my tv antenna control. Underneath you can see the inside switch for the inverter, and a two socket outlet.
They pulled wire from the inverter in the upper cabinet thru the rollbar chase over to the opposite side of the coach. The white box above is my tv antenna control. Underneath you can see the inside switch for the inverter, and a two socket outlet.
Inside inverter switch & outlet.jpg (121.07 KiB) Viewed 5296 times
Into the cabinet over the sink, next to the rollbar went a 300 watt pure sine inverter and fusebox.
Into the cabinet over the sink, next to the rollbar went a 300 watt pure sine inverter and fusebox.
Inverter and fusebox 2.jpg (125.83 KiB) Viewed 5296 times
And the brains of the business: A Blue Sky ProRemote. I love it, love it. They opened the cabinet door that is behind my lounge chair next to the sink. They found more room than expected inside. They didn't enjoy working in the tight quarters, but they ma
And the brains of the business: A Blue Sky ProRemote. I love it, love it. They opened the cabinet door that is behind my lounge chair next to the sink. They found more room than expected inside. They didn't enjoy working in the tight quarters, but they ma
Blue Sky Pro Remote 2 LL.jpg (134.19 KiB) Viewed 5296 times
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
Trix

Post by Trix »

One more thing which I haven't take any photos of: a line to trickle charge my chassis battery.

I am currently drycamping and testing the parameters of my new system. How many amps can I use at night, against how many hours of southern sun it will take to recharge the batteries the next day.
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Is your inverter 300 watts or 3000 watts. 300 watts seems very small for all the solar panels and a fairly large battery bank.

It looks like a really nice system.
Trix

Post by Trix »

It's a small 300 watt inverter. I only intend to use it for the tv the router and possibly the dvd player.
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks Trix. Really appreciate the photos and were very informative.
I would like to do the same.
One of my plans this summer is to visit AM Solar.
I have heard lots of good words about them
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
CraigNW

Post by CraigNW »

I am currently drycamping and testing the parameters of my new system. How many amps can I use at night, against how many hours of southern sun it will take to recharge the batteries the next day.[/quote]

Hi Trix - Nice post! Great lookin' system. Looking forward to your findings on amp usage and battery recharge. Have heard nothing but praise regarding AM Solar installs but it is nice actually see their work.

Should you care to field test the limits of your new solar package..I might be willing to camp along side with an extention cord or two connected for some boondock-moochdocking!? :wink:

Thanks for posting on the forum vs Private Mail.

Craig
Currently enjoying the Arizona sunshine, 30amp hookup, concrete slab and clubhouse showers.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”