Gas mileage

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Hdmiller

Gas mileage

Post by Hdmiller »

I've got another one for you experienced owners out there...During my first trip in my recently acquired 2001 RSB (from Fla. to Pa. up the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive in November), I averaged about 8-11 mpg along this hilly and windy route that was basically traffic-free. Does that seem like normal or terrible mileage? Would some serious engine repairs (total overhaul?) or modification improve this significantly?
2001 26' RSB (Ford 350)

Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
HM.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

That is typical mileage for the V-10 gas engine. If you have the diesel I would expect better mileage.

To really be sure what your mileage is, you need to track the amount of fuel put in the tank for 4-5 fillings, or better yet for several thousand miles. The 11mph reading you got was probably when the tank was really filled up the last time and then didn't get filled very full the next time.

Realistic mileage is 8-9.5 MPG. The higher end is for the 22' BF and the lower end is for the 26'-27' coaches. Also you get better mileage if you keep your speed below 60mph on highways.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I get between 9 and 10mpg.
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

I get 8-9.5 mpg with my 97 26 rsb. I get the lower end pulling my 2000 honda accord. I have recorded 7.5 to 10.5 on various fillups, however this would usually be a variance on how much fuel is put in the tank on each refill and that is why fuel mileage needs to be taken as a average for many fuel fillups. My bornfree has a 460 V8 as the next year was the year ford switched to the V10. I almost never go over 60 mph on straight and level driving, and on some interstates I just get in the right lane and cruise along at 55.
hrgermany

Post by hrgermany »

Last year I made a 3500 mile trip from California to South Dakota and back
via Yellow Stone National Park.Maximum speed 60 MPH.My engine has a Banks Power Pack.I have a 1995 Ford 460 V8.My mpg was 9.2 per gallon.
I think this very good.Every time I fill up I record mileage,gallon of gas and price paid
Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26FT RSB
Hdmiller

Post by Hdmiller »

Thanks for all of your replies. While I did fill 'Eric up each time, there were certainly some flat runs besides all of the mountains along most of my route. And the speed limit is around 45 for most of it although with no traffic I did push it occasionally. Anyways, it sounds like I can avoid any repairs and plan on such results on future trips. Thanks to all!
2001 26' RSB (Ford 350)

Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
HM.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Hong Kong???? :?:
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Hdmiller

Post by Hdmiller »

Yes, why?
2001 26' RSB (Ford 350)

HM.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Hdmiller wrote:Yes, why?
I didn't notice the Location as "Hong Kong" until just now. I does seem to be unusual to fly from the other side of the world and tour the Blue Ridge Parkway in a BF. Not that people don't fly from Aisa and tour the USA. It unusual to also have them post on an RV forum.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Thanks al1florida for putting in words what I meant with my post. In making my post I hoped it would be understood that an explanation might be helpful to us "statesiders." I meant no offense. It was curiosity.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Hdmiller

Post by Hdmiller »

I'm American, having lived/worked in HK for the past 16 years, but take some of my holidays in the US. I hope to have more time to travel around the States soon and getting an RV seemed like a good idea. The BRP was actually a rather straight route from Fla, where I purchased it, to Pa. where I grew up and have a friend storing it for me. This is what I meant by a "bit of a story" in my post on the transfer switch.
I thought maybe you had some connection to HK Dallas.
HM.
2001 26' RSB (Ford 350)

HM.
Dude

Post by Dude »

8mpg for me in only a few trips.

I have a 1989 26 foot with the 460 and a 3 speed trans w/out overdrive. I can't go over 55 without the engine screaming and sucking up the gas. By going light on the gas and keeping it at or below 55 I have gotten about 8mpg. My worst was 7.2 mpg and the best was 8.3.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

my 1996 26 rsb has a 460 V8 and it will cruise nicely at 65 without reving and lots of noise. I believe the RV has a 4 speed with overdrive.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Yeah, the lack of OD really kills me. But I figure when I'm driving it I'm on vacation, just take it easy and cruise in the right lane.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

I have a 93 24' rear bunk/rear bath with a factory 7.3 turbo-diesel and I have been averaging 12-13 MPG on flat runs with the cruise set at about 57. I got nearly 12 driving over the coast range and back and was impressed with that. One thing I am going to be doing shortly is installing an aftermarket 10K trans cooler and a Banks TransCommand module. I understand E4OD's well enough to know that while mine is nice and healthy currently, it shifts way too soft for the amount of weight it is hauling around and that is not such a good thing. Otherwise, I have been extremely impressed with the power and mileage I have been getting and I've only had a couple small problems so far. I do need a charger/converter because I am having the infamous AC ripple that already fried my Dinosaur board on the Dometic. I fixed that by rewiring the fridge to run after the batteries so the ripple is absorbed in them and I replaced the Dinosaur board.

BTW, for anyone with refer problems, I would HIGHLY recommend Dinosaur as a replacement. Their customer service is absolutely amazing and their prices are certainly reasonable.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”