Looking at 1996 Born Free Rear Bath

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Cathy

Looking at 1996 Born Free Rear Bath

Post by Cathy »

I just found a 96 for sale at a local dealer, claims owners flew in once a year for 3 months & drove around the US then would store it. The mileage is good, 76,000 & inside is clean. The outside is good on the fiberglass but decals are fading. New tires & batteries, plus solar system & satellite on it. He's asking 25,000 & came down to 20,000. I've checked NADA & 13,500 comes up. Do you think it's even worth considering? I really want a good used BF but they are hard to find.
Cathy
Our Puggle Pudge
Brussels Griffon Sally
Cairn Terrier Ellie
Max our Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
2005 Gulfstream BT Cruiser (former BF owner)
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Can't comment specifically on the coach you are looking at, but keep in mind that used Born Frees in good condition generally sell for (a little) more than what they are listed for in the NADA Guides.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

Cathy, I can only give you my experience. 3 yrs ago I bought a 1996 26 rsb, in superb condition with 76k miles. I paid 19k for it. I would think I would ask 15k to 16k for it if I was going to sell it which I am not. It seems to me that the one you are looking at is somewhat over priced but not by much. I must also tell you that my 1996 is registered as a 1997 since it was built in late 1996. It has a 460V8 and the 1997 models were mostly made with the V10. It has no airbags and the 1997 has them. When I refer to it I usually refer to it as a 1996.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Yours is newer than mine. I can tell you I bought a 26 foot 1989 RSB with 50k miles for $4k in October. There are some issues, genny doesn't work, I put in a new house battery ($100), the tranny and rear diff were leaking at the seals ($400 repair) and my Hot Water Heater is rusty ($4-500 not yet done).

$20k sounds just a little overpriced to me. If I remember correctly, my NADA was just about the $4k that I paid.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Get the VIN # and go to CarFax and check the title history.
www.carfax.com/

It will cost you around $30 but would help confirm (or disprove) what the dealer told you about the previous owner(s).
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Thanks for all the replies. I may wait a few weeks & see if he doesn't sell it he might come down on the price. It sure looks like new inside, no wear or stains on the sofa or chairs. But seems high. I'll try to get the VIN, too.
Cathy
Our Puggle Pudge
Brussels Griffon Sally
Cairn Terrier Ellie
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

Sounds like that coach might be worth in the 17k range given the extra's and the prime condition. Also ask for all the maintenance records both of the ford chassis, and the born free config like fridge, air cond, tires, gen, etc etc.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Thanks, William..I think so ...I also imagine he'll have to lower that price a lot to sell it.
Cathy
Our Puggle Pudge
Brussels Griffon Sally
Cairn Terrier Ellie
stevek

Post by stevek »

Good luck Cathy. Hope it all works out.
Also you can comparison shop nationwide on craigslist,
and see what else is for sale in the same price range to give you an idea on this BF.
Go to www.adhuntr.com
Just search Born Free Motorhome.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
TomP

Post by TomP »

In 2010, I bought a 1995 with 77k on it all systems working. The dealer asked 15k, I got them to 13k which was blue book (at the time) but i would have paid 15k for it.

It was in great condition and I had a detailed inspection performed by a mechanic and former RV dealer friend of mine.

Still, he reminded me that any vehicle that old is going to have issues in the near to intermediate future no matter how well maintained. Fortunately, the only major, high dollar repair I have performed on it was a new front end (ball joints, tie rods, etc).

Born Free's are high quality, of course, but I think the original 25k ask is very high for a 17 year old vehicle.

I hope this helped.

Best of luck.
1995 Born Free 24' Rear Side Bed
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Just an update, I haven't been able to talk to the dealer due to my hours so I sent an email with a few questions on engine, transmission, brakes and if the service records are available & no reply from him. It's still on their website & still listed for $25,000. I'm going back in a week when I can to go over it again & see if he's still not budging on his price.
Cathy
Our Puggle Pudge
Brussels Griffon Sally
Cairn Terrier Ellie
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

It is possible that the dealer paid to much for the coach. Be tough with your bargaining. Remember he has only 1 born free to sell, and you will get the choice of more than one or perhaps even another brand name. If the coach was priced right it would no longer be available since bornfree coaches sell pretty fast.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I paid $25K for my 2000 24RB in 2009. It probably wouldn't fetch even $20K today even though it looks almost new. Keep looking.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Now for the devil's advocate point of view.

If you want this particular Born Free, and if you arrive at a compromise price that you believe is fair enough then buy what you want and what you like. The cost of owning a motorhome is not so much in the initial price you pay, particularly for a used unit when someone else has taken the big hit of initial depreciation, as it is in the ongoing day-to-day. Registration and taxation, insurance, maintenance and preservation will be there even if you don't drive a mile. If you do drive it then gasoline, camping fees, eating out, tolls, propane, etc., etc. come into play. It is all well and good to look for the best buy, but exactly what you want may not come along again for quite some time. Tomorrow may bring good news or bad, but for today you are not enjoying the life you want if you do not act.

Only you know what you want. All the advice you receive from me or others is just opinion. Go with your gut feelings. Logic and reasoning have their place, but they may not lead you to a decision that will make YOU happy.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”