Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Rich Flaugh

Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier

Post by Rich Flaugh »

I'm considering the purchase of an aluminum cargo carrier for the 2" receiver on my 24'RB. The 24' RB doesn't have as much rear "overhang" as some BF models but I'm still concerned about the carrier "bottoming out" on driveways, dips, etc. I can minimize the exposure to damage by approaching these types situations at an angle and driving slow. I anticipate putting about 100-125 pounds of cargo on the carrier.

Anybody have any experience (good or bad)?

Heading for Southern Utah on May3.
Dude

Post by Dude »

I have a steel hitch carrier on the back of my 26foot. I have dragged it a few times but nothing major, just a scrap or two. It is a Harbor Freight $60 special ($50 if on sale) so if I destroy the carrier at some point I'm not that worried. I would think a 24 foot would have no problem. I know with the HF cargo carriers it isn't worth it to get the aluminum -vs- steel one. You only save a couple of pounds.

My bro just sold his pickup but kept his truck box.....I am going to see how it works on my cargo carrier when I get my hands on it.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
hayesj29020

hitch mount cargo carrier

Post by hayesj29020 »

I bought a Pro Series 63153 60" x 24". It's a little pricey, but large and well made. It also offsets upward coming out of the hitch so it's not as likely to drag.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”