Finished Shake-Down Trip

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Jean & Leroy

Finished Shake-Down Trip

Post by Jean & Leroy »

We have finished our initial 3500 mile shakedown trip in our Born Free. Had a great time and very few issues with the coach. Couldn't get hot water one day but a quick call to Kim solved that. Fixed one minor plumbing leak near the water pump. Have only one remaining issue and haven't called Kim yet. But we had trouble with the drawers sliding out on bumpy roads. It's a problem because my husband and I are going to be driving in separate vehicles in a move that's coming up, and no one will be available to run shut the doors if they come open. Has anybody had this problem? Does anyone have a solution? Otherwise, coach performed great!
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

We also had that problem a couple of times last summer. It happend when something heavy shifted against a closet door or when we loaded up a drawer heavily. After thinking about it a while over the winter, I finally decided to install chain type door restraints on five doors/drawers to keep them from opening too far. I found some at an Ace Hardware store that came in bronze (plated) and instead of a long slotted receiver that this type of restraint usually had, this type had a hook arrangement so that you didn't need as long of a chain and the door/drawer wouldn't open too far. I also shortened the chain to the minimum needed before installing them by cutting off two links out of six with a dremel tool. The installation was relatively simple and they worked fine the first and only time out this year.
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

We keep pots and pans in the large drawer under the refer. Its a heavy load that caused the drawer to open when it shifted. Adjusting the ball and detent latches in the center under the drawer seems to have fixed the drawer problem. A child proofing hidden latch fixed the vanity closet door although I suspect careful adjustment of the 2 roller/pincher type latches would have been sufficient.

Mike

PS. Taking the mountain curves slower also worked well. :wink:
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Jean & Leroy

Post by Jean & Leroy »

Thanks everyone. We adjusted the latches and everything's working fine now.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”