Born Free on E-Bay

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

George Boley

Born Free on E-Bay

Post by George Boley »

Exceptionally clean 1996 Rear kitchen, built for two listed on e-bay. Less than 50,000 miles, have not seen a cleaner coach-- check it out
George Boley
Knowledge will never be lost, provided it is shared
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

Beautiful coach for 1996. Just goes to show that the Born Free's have great "bones" and it doesn't take too much to make on oldie look like new. Looks like this dealer replaced quite a few things on it to bring it up to a top notch condition. Although I'm not sure if it's worth $29,000. It's condition is almost as good as your original "Miss Daisy" when you sold it.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
whemme

Post by whemme »

A link to this Born Free coach listed on eBay is as follows: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Born-Fre ... 3a807e4964
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
stevek

Post by stevek »

Interesting on prices.
They are having a dealer from Junction City, Oregon here in Klamath Falls.
I asked to see the shortest class A they had.
The had a Itasca 28 foot... brand new 2013 for 72K.
Pretty loaded.
Even had levelers! Standard equipment the salesman said.
Had the Ford V10.
Also had a fiberglass roof like our Born Free. I climbed up on top, real sturdy as I jumped up and down :D ..

But not nearly the quality of the Born Free.
Fun to look tho.. :wink:

Plus it had a slide... The couch plus dinette slide out.
Last edited by stevek on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
William Higbie

Post by William Higbie »

I am not excited by the price. 3 years ago I purchased a 1996 Born Free 26 rsb with 76K miles for considerably less than 20 K. My rig was in like new condition. I was told by the ford dealer that a 460 V8 in 1996 had considerably less problems than the early V10's. I get 8.5 to 10 mpg when not pulling a toad. So tell me how much more mpg I would get with a V10.. Only thing I can see with later v10 Born Free's are more efficient transmissions.

No way I would pay 29k for a bft 96' model.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

We've been through this before, recently I believe. To many a buyer this BF is not worth the asking price. However, to the right person that longs to have this model and cannot afford more than the asking price the cost may be worth the pleasure they will get out of owning this motorhome. Yes, I would seriously negotiate for a better deal, but if you have searched for a long time for just this type of unit, it may be worth a little extra to get just what you are looking for. A selling price is what a willing buyer will pay to a willing seller. It is not up to you or me to approve or disapprove of the transaction. We are not a party to the process.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
whemme

Post by whemme »

I agree with Dallas,

It is not our duty to advise a potential buyer on whether the price of a RV for sale is either too high or too low. That is up to the interested buyer to decide for him(her)self.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I'm with you & Dallas also.....
Dude

Post by Dude »

I disagree. I think it is our duty to let someone know if they are buying something that is overpriced.

People often join websites prior to purchasing an item (anything) to find out information on it (good and bad), and pricing (high and low). I joined this website prior to taking ownership of my BF to do research. I also checked NADA and Craigslist for other RV's of my vintage and found I got a fair deal at $4k. I have seen similar condition and age RV's for sale as high as $10k.

If I asked someone on here if $10k was a good deal for my BF with the issues that mine has/had I would hope someone would have the courtsey to advise me against spending that much money.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
whemme

Post by whemme »

Matt,

I think the issue here is offering unsolicited advice. If someone asks for advice, by all means someone with knowledge should respond to the question. What I don't think is proper on our forum is for someone to offer advice without being asked for it.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Sam,

NONE of us have anything to worry about. Unless we like to interject ourselves into someone else's business and give unsolicited advice. From my experience that can often result in a comeback of @!#$*&+.

I guess I can be accused of the above in interjecting myself into your business of interjecting yourself into other people's business.

Lighten up -- there I go again.

I should mind my own business. :lol:
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Why Dallas....you must have been reading my mind.... :wink:
TomP

Post by TomP »

I'm confused here. Isn't this an open forum where people can solicit information/knowledge/opinions from Born Free owners regarding anything from what kind of tires to buy to winterizing to the value of a coach?

I have gotten all kinds of useful information from the members on this board, which, had I not asked, would have cost me more time and money had I resolved it on my own. This includes winterizing, fuses, ammeters, etc. I am grateful for that.

Why wouldn't we want to give our honest opinion, as Born Free owners, regarding the value of a 1996 unit that lists for 29K? The buyer is under no obligation to adhere to or even acknowledge our opinions but they did solicit our advice by asking us to 'check out' a unit they were considering.

If that is somehow wrong, then why does this forum exist?
1995 Born Free 24' Rear Side Bed
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Tom P,

You are absolutely right in your observation that when a poster ask for advice or information we are being encouraged to respond.

I think, but am not certain, that George Boley posted for information, not that he was considering buying. "Check it out" meant have a look. It follows that he was not asking for our opinion.

Once posters weighed in and began to say how overpriced the subject BF was I made my post. We all reacted inappropriately since Boley was not buying. In the South we have a saying "I don't have a dog in this fight." The "fight" will be between the e-bay seller and buyer.

An innocent and innocuous post has brought to the surface underlying sentiment.

There is an undercurrent in this thread with some posters who often give unsolicited advice and adopt an adamant attitude they are right. I've lived long enough to know that when I am sure I am right I may be wrong.

It is all George Boley's fault. He should have made his post under the heading "Born Free Coaches and Accessories for Sale or Wanted" :wink:

Bill Hemme may close off this thread. All of us need a bit of reflection and self-examination that comes with a cooling off period.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
TomP

Post by TomP »

This forum is for Born Free Owners and those interested in owning a Born Free.

When I first googled and found this board about 4 years ago, I was grateful to see the phrase: ...and those interested in owning a Born Free because at that time I was in the market for a unit.

Some of the most germane factors involved in making my decision to purchase a Born Free unit was the quality, mileage, condition and yes, price of a given unit.

I am forever indebted to this forum (and other forums) and its members by providing me with unabashed yet experienced and sound opinions pertinent to the said purchase.

Now I am a proud and happy member of this forum and owner of the Born Free of my dreams.

Any link posted on this board that references a Born Free for sale is an open invitation for anyone to potentially purchase it. They deserve our honest opinions on the matter. We may disagree with each other on the quality or value of the unit but ultimately the potential buyer can ignore or use our input to their benefit as they see fit, just as I did.

It isn't an attempt to insert ourselves in a private negotiation any more than when we give an opinion on what kind of tires or batteries to buy.

This is purely about helping anyone who might be interested in owning a particular Born Free, that was explicitly posted for sale on this forum, be better informed when they purchase what might very well be the RV of their dreams.

Respectfully

TomP
1995 Born Free 24' Rear Side Bed

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”