Intercooling a 93 Turbo Diesel

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

The Libals

Intercooling a 93 Turbo Diesel

Post by The Libals »

I have such an awesome motorhome. Have loved every minute of driving and camping in it. Her only flaw is how hot the EGT's climb going over passes. I can run 55, but after a couple miles she climbs up close to 1000 degrees, so I'll back out and run about 45 mph and it will stabilize around 900 or so. Have any of you members ever intercooled this chassis? I can see huge potential benefits from doing this, but as you guys know there is such a limited amount of space under the hood of a van, especially a turbo diesel. Also, does anyone else here have a 24' rear bunk bed model?
Roger

Post by Roger »

Where is the EGT being measured? Most often it's at the turbo inlet. Temps at the outlet can be considerably cooler and near the exhaust valve can be higher! High EGT can also be caused by too much fuel or too little air getting in the engine. My research indicates that EGT measured at turbo inlet can safely go up to 1200 deg sustained and even higher for short periods.

Disclaimer: I'm not a diesel mechanic. This is what I found by sniffing around on the wen.

Regards, Roger
1999 24RB
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

Hi Roger,
Yes, the probe is on one of the inlets within about a foot of the manifold, so temps are relatively accurate to what is coming out of the engine. I know I can run hotter safely, but I don't like to get quite so close to the danger zone like that. For me 1000 is hot enough. :) The engine itself is extremely healthy and has lots of power and that's bone stock. If I put in a set of matched BB code injectors and put in an upgraded Moose pump, she would run easily at stock Powerstroke levels and then some, especially down low since IDI's have almost zero turbo lag compared to the PS's. I've been doing some research and have only found one instance of an intercooled Van chassis, and it involved an air/water intercooler with a custom intake pipe run under the cab and drilled up into a box in behind the driver. This was on an early powerstroke, but the turbo setups are very similar. More than likely I'll have to run like I've got it and perhaps upgrade the IP and Injectors someday when the stockers give out. It always puts a smile on my face though running down the highway at 11,000+ lbs and still getting over 13 MPG on an old International diesel. :D
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

Why did you disconnect the gauges? I hope you at least have the EGT, anyhow. On my old 91 7.3 IDI with a Banks Sidewinder, I had 5 separate gauges to watch everything: Water temp, Trans Temp, EGT, Oil Pressure, and Boost. Even the boost gauge was useful because I could squeeze extra MPG out of the truck if I kept the boost at 5psi or less (Banks kits only run about 12psi max because of the massive compression of a stock IDI at 22.5:1)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”