Rodents

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Roger

Rodents

Post by Roger »

I just took my BF out of Winter storage and discovered a nest in the cab-over area. There were a couple of acorn shells so I believe it was a squirrel. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and discovered how the little beasties were getting in.

Regards, Roger
1999 24RB
bill crommett

Rodents

Post by bill crommett »

Have I had this problem ?? Several hundred dollars worth. fortunately not with the Born Free, but with the Toad and with my pickup. I had a mouse problem with the Tracker while parked in a closed garage building. I solved this problem by starting the engine, closing the door and going for lunch. The smell was a little more of a problem but a couple of stinkum, smell sweet canisters eventually did the trick once I found and destroyed the nest.
The pickup was done in by squirrels whole chewed the wires over the engine twice. The first time I just used rodent garden spray, but I got negligent and this spring they built another nest and chewed more wires. This time i researched on Google and found a couple of sites with good advise that I have used some of. For starters I mixed up some Red Pepper powder with a little vinegar and painted all the ignition wires, then I made a mothball sachet and hung it over the engine on the underside of the hood.. Then I sprayed rodent deterrent on all the wheels and the sides of the wheel wells.
and then parked the truck back in the woods under the trees again.
bill crommett

rodents

Post by bill crommett »

Living in the woods is a beauty and a problem. The flying squirrels chewed their way into our attic and I caught one of them with a cockroach glue trap, but they chewed more holes to get into the attic, so this week I paid $1800.00 to have the fascia covered with aluminum. We will see !
Janet

Rodents

Post by Janet »

In our neck of the woods it is mice that bring in the acorns and nut shells. Never could figure out how. But we put down lots of Downy dryer sheets all over the camper and have not had a problem since in several years.
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Squirrels love Born Frees! Last fall, a few moved into my engine compartment and ate through wire harnesses, vacuum hoses, fuel lines and assorted other wires. The coach was parked outside for less than 10 days, so it didn't take long to do a lot of damage. Fortunately, the squirrels found enough to chew on in the engine compartment that they never entered the living area. Thanks for all the suggestions on keeping the furry critters away. When the weather starts to cool again, I will be trying a few.
Laurie
2001 Born Free 23' RK

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”