Locking Gas Cap?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Mike Jean Bandfield

Locking Gas Cap?

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

With a full tank now at $200 has anyone found a locking gas cap that fits the BF filling tube? Or where can you get a lock for the fuel compartment door? (I'd llike to get one for the battery box too.)

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Mike:

We found a locking cap at Kragen Auto Parts, and one or two small padlocks on the battery slide tray offer some amount of theft deterrent.
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Mel Wilbur

locking gas cap

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Mike,

I switched the one on the gas door with one of the locking type on a compartment door. It also makes it simple keeping the compartment door closed tightly any time I do not need it locked. Getting a locking type from Kim Olson should not be a problem.
Mel & Connie
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Good ideas :!:

Mel, I assume the keyed latches and the non keyed latches are the same hole size and latching mechanism.

I think I'll get some locks from Kim rather than buy another set of keys.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Jon Pollei

Locking Gas Cap

Post by Jon Pollei »

Mike, I purchased 2 compartment locks from BF-Kim Olson a few years back. They are easy to install if you just watch how they come off. I put one on the gas door and one on the battery compartment. :D
Sab & Ann

Born Free Compartment Locks by Southco

Post by Sab & Ann »

The Born Free compartment locks can be replaced with key locks by finding your local dealer for Southco at www.southco.com. Each lock will cost you about $25 and you can have all your locks keyed for the same key. All your compartments can be key lockable except your propane compartment. That the legal requirement. As someone else mentioned, do not over tighten the new installation. Good Luck!
2000 RB, E450
lassen

Post by lassen »

Locks at $25. apiece? YIKES!!!!! Check your present lock inventory and which compartments absolutly need locks. Our 24RB has a double locked water valve compartment on the left rear. The rear center compartment which is behind the spare tire has two locks. Just figure out which ones you want to swap and you have an extra $50. to spend on gas.

Jack
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”