New to us Born Free 24 RSB

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Cathy

New to us Born Free 24 RSB

Post by Cathy »

Finally sold our trailer & found a 1999 BF with 59,000 miles on it. It's in good condition now, it needed ball joints & had a rear axle seal leak. We put 6 new Michelin LTX MS tires on it. It has an interesting bathroom with a glass shower door the original owner put on..he apparently added onto the bottom of the shower stall about 6" with plastic to keep water from splashing out I guess, it's pretty small. Then he put in a very short toilet to allow shower door to open.
It has a Hott Rod water heater, not sure if that has an anode rod I change?? Everything works, cold air, no leaks that ive found. It does need a good cleaning. It did sit for a couple years but mechanic said belts & hoses were ok.
It has a few fogged windows we need to replace (no one in the St. Louis area defogs them).
I'm sure ill have questions down the road.
Cathy
Our Puggle Pudge
Brussels Griffon Sally
Cairn Terrier Ellie
Max our Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
2005 Gulfstream BT Cruiser (former BF owner)
Trix

Post by Trix »

Congrats Cathy! I love my 24' RB.

If it's been sitting a couple years, I would recommend you get the brakes (calipers, pads, rotors, brake fluid) etc extensively checked. I spent way too much time stuck in parking lots waiting for tows when brake caliper hung up.

Sitting around is not good for brakes!
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
learning RV'g in my 2007 24' RB
2011 Subaru Forester toad
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

When my brakes did that last month I limped it to Schwab's and had them put on all new calipers, rotors, and pads and had them repack the bearings and regrease all the joints in the front end. She drives like new now. For a paltry 550 bucks anyway... :lol:
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

Hey Trix, We're looking at putting together a little BF meetup sometime late this summer or early fall. Kind of an impromptu, non-official meet. Would you be interested in joining?
Dude

Post by Dude »

Congrats! Enjoy the RV.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Thanks everybody! We love it, we had Scamp trailers & a Casita that reminds us of the Born Free....the fiberglass exterior & the walls. It did need the new ball joints in front and they checked the brakes during the inspection and they are ok. It's got 59,000 on it so hoping we get a lot more out of it. It's good to know there's a forum I can ask questions, I've got the spare behind the passengers seat since the previous owners put in a bar (wood/metal) to hold the seat belts they had to install so now the spare won't fit under the sofa. I'm working on that problem, perhaps a hitch with an extension welded on to hold it on the back, with the weight on the bumper or held on by the bracket. Have to find a good welder.
:?
Cathy
Our Puggle Pudge
Brussels Griffon Sally
Cairn Terrier Ellie
Max our Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
2005 Gulfstream BT Cruiser (former BF owner)
Trix

Post by Trix »

Hi Libals, I love Les Schwab and I wish they were nationwide, unfortunately just us folks from the west coast get to use their services.

I would love to attend your GTG but I'll need to take a raincheck this summer, maybe next year? I'm in the midwest now and on my way to NY, VT, ME and NH, then south to FL and TX for the winter. I'm not too sure when I'll make it 'home'!
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
learning RV'g in my 2007 24' RB
2011 Subaru Forester toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”