Front stablizer bar install

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tomzleapin

Front stablizer bar install

Post by tomzleapin »

Just finished installing a Hellwig 7008 Front Sway Bar. The install took about an hour and was quite easy.

I went for a 30 mile test ride and there is a definite improvement. Much less wandering and less movement when semis passed me.

Here's a link to a YouTube video showing installation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBAJyGmKsdo.

Some photos of my install:
Old bar

Closer look at bushing.

Stock bar is 1" dia. Hellwig is 1 3/8" dia.

Hellwig bar in place.

Bracket that is added to axle.

I purchased the bar from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G9 ... UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by tomzleapin on Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks... enjoyed your write up.
I assume this new larger sway bar will work with my newly enstalled front reciever hitch?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

The brackets for the new bar attach using the same bolt holes as the stock bar. My coach is a 2005 so I don't know if the same is true for a 2011. You should be able to go to the Hellwig web site and find what model fits. You can also download the installation manual. If the bar uses the same mounting location as the stock bar I would think you would be okay with the front hitch.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

I did the work myself in my driveway where I normally park. My driveway is sloped so I run the front wheels up on blocks raising it about 6". No special tools are required. Hand tools will work fine but I do have an air impact wrench that speeded things up.

The coach has 42,000 miles on it and I have no clue why the bushing failed. I spend winters in south Florida and I purchased the coach in Georgia 3 years ago so it hasn't been in any extreme cold or salt. When in Florida I stay mainly inland but things seem to rust quite a bit down there.
Tom
2005 24' RB
New Hope, MN

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”