K&N oil filters

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

iacubbieman

K&N oil filters

Post by iacubbieman »

Anyone out there using K&N oil filters when changing oil? Good or bad. I see that they have a nut welded on the end of the filter for easy takeoff. Kind of pricey too but maybe worth it. Heading for Oregon from Iowa in a couple of weeks and need to get fresh oil and filter. Thanks for any recommendations.
Chuck and Verla Tanner
2005 26RSB E450 6.8L V10
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

They are not a bad choice, to be sure. You actually can't go wrong with a Ford Motorcraft filter either #FL-820S. But if you want an extra quart capacity, there are a couple options:

Motorcraft, #EFL-252
NAPA Gold, #1087
Fram, #PH-2975

These are for 98-up 6.8L V10's

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with extra capacity. I run a K&N Powerstroke oil filter on my 7.3L IDI precisely because of that. It allows me to run a full 11 quarts of oil instead of 10 and filters down in the 10 micron range instead of the old 50 micron range of the original smaller filter. I will say though that on a gas engine it is not as important. If you really want extra life out of the engine, install a pre-luber for those cold startups.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Everyone has their reasons for oil and filters so I will give mine. I use AMSOIL 5W-30 in both the V-10 and Onan generator and Motorcraft FL802S filter. Looking back, Ford did recommend 5W-30 but later changed to 5W-20 after they were able to gain .02 of a mile in their overall mileage ratings. It appears to me that the mileage gain was more important to Ford than what was the best for the life of the engine. As for the filter, the S in the number indicates the anti-drain back valve is silicone vs nitrile rubber making it more heat resistant with little, if any, chance of becoming brittle. This combination is working fine for me but I am sure others are also working well.
Mel & Connie

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”