RV insurance

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jobrien

RV insurance

Post by jobrien »

I currently have insurance through American Modern Home Ins Co. Got a letter last week they will no longer be writing RV policies.

Searched the forum here and see Progressive, National and Nationwide mentioned in some older posts from 2009 and 2011.

What are people currently using? Also will look through FMCA and Good Sam to see what they offer.

Thanks

John
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Safeco bundled with house, cars, etc. The options and costs vary rather dramatically by state, I have heard.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Roger

Post by Roger »

I have mine through GMAC (now National General). They allow you to suspend the collision coverage when the MH is in storage. This makes for a substantial saving up here in the frozen north.

Regards, Roger
1999 24RB
bookie71

Post by bookie71 »

Ours is through State Farm and part of house, office and cars
whemme

Post by whemme »

Since I purchased my 1st Born Free coach new in 1999, I have always insured them with Progressive. For the 1st 5 years of ownership of a new coach, their policy stated total replacement of the coach if it was totaled in an accident. After 5 years, then the policy reverted to depreciated valve in case of an accident.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Went with Progressive, saving about $300 over American.

National General apparently doesn't write policies in NJ. When I entered my zip code, it said "sorry".

I'm happy.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

GEICO insures our 2005 BF for about $350 every 6 months full coverage. It is not insured for replacement value, just the blue book value just like automobiles are. This is about $200 less than what Progressive quoted me 2 years ago.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Progressive's current rate for yearly full coverage on my 2002 Born Free 26' RSB coach is $533.00 This rate includes a deduction for multi-vehicle coverage with them.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
The Libals

Post by The Libals »

This is similar to what we pay for our BF with Progressive. So much more affordable than American Family. They wanted over 1500 a year for the same coverage!
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

My price is $486 including collision with a $500 deductible. No other vehicles insured with them.

For NJ that is CHEAP!!
jjhepkin

RV Insurance

Post by jjhepkin »

We switched to GMAC about a year ago. They have since changed names to National General.
Found out about them through FMCA.
They offer full replacement coverage if insurance is purchased within first 5 years of original mfg.
Our premium is 361.00 per 6 months, with a credit for every month in storage.
Storage must be in 30 day increments and begin on 1st day through end of month.
It is responsibility of owner (insured) to contact them when putting into and out of storage.
No claims filed as yet, but best cost plan I have found.
john hepkin
John & Janet Hepkin

2009 28' RSB Kodiak Chassis 8.1L
Previously owned 2004 Chinook Destiny
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

Progressive. I have 2 motorcycles insured with them, so I get multi vehicle discount. I think the Born Free only added $125 to the policy ( for 6 months).

I have not made a claim, but their customer service seems good.
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

We also have GMAC (National General), but because we are in lower NY state, our premium is more like $640 for 6 months. Also, since shezonit's RV is old, the full replacement coverage would be irrelevant. We have had one claim with GMAC, when a tree fell on the left rear corner of our RV during Hurricane Sandy, causing about $1800 worth of damage. They were very easy to deal with.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

My RV is OLD?
Shhh.... Don't tell her!
:-)

By the way, I have 2 Papillons. Wonderful companions, aren't they? Keeping them in raw food is why I can only buy an old RV.... That and my motorcycle habit.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

We have State Farm for cars, house and motorhome. The motorhome is $450/year with a $500 deductible.
Cathy
Our Puggle Pudge
Brussels Griffon Sally
Cairn Terrier Ellie
Max our Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
2005 Gulfstream BT Cruiser (former BF owner)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”