Holding tank mentioning

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

wjhgolf

Holding tank mentioning

Post by wjhgolf »

Sometimes I wish my holding tank sensors were more reliable, even though I use Dawn dishwasing liquid and sometimes ice cubes to keep them clean. Has anyone tried the Horst sensors? Are they better? Do you need to change any of the wiring to use them? Can you switch to them yourself or should you have a service center do the installation?
Bill and Sharyn Hill
Clarkston, MI
2002 24ft RB
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

We've owned several travel trailers thru the years, I never used dawn in them. I've always heard the sensor's aren't reliable even if replaced, but it's worth a try.
Cathy
Our Puggle Pudge
Brussels Griffon Sally
Cairn Terrier Ellie
Max our Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
2005 Gulfstream BT Cruiser (former BF owner)
whemme

Post by whemme »

The fresh water, gray water and black water tank level sensors continue to work well in my 2002 Born Free. What I do in an attempt to keep them working properly is that I add 4 oz of Calgon water softener to my gray and black water tanks every time they are being used. Then as soon as I get home after an outing, drain all 3 tanks. Then I fill the gray and black tanks full of clean water and drain them again. Then I fill the gray and black water tanks a 2nd time with clean water and also fill the fresh water tank with clean water. I also add 8 oz of Clorox bleach to each of these 3 tanks as they on being filled. Then I drain all three tanks and put the coach into storage until the next trip.

Doing all of this to keep the tank walls and tank sensors clean and free of deposits including lime which is conductive seems to have kept my tanks sensors working properly.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

That's a lot of water down the drain....
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
hrgermany

Horst sensors

Post by hrgermany »

I installed the Horst sensors in both tanks gray and black.the wires are color coded.Just make a note what color goes to what sensor

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26FT RSB
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

I tried to put the Horst sensors into the black tank a few years back..but could only get the middle sensors out to replace. The top sensor just refused to come out, and I didn't want to drill new holes, so gave up on the project.

You don't need to keep track of wires if you replace them one at a time as I was doing.

I just went back to my old method of keeping track on a calendar when last dumped the tanks..a time pattern will emerge and then just do a visual check down the toilet a day before you get close again. Not as fun as working sensors but works out OK. (I don't worry about the grey tank as the black is always the first to fill up for us.)
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I referenced this before.

It is an alternative measuring system.

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/skylar ... gauges.htm
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
bookie71

Post by bookie71 »

Nice to know.
Since the fresh water tank is visible inside the coach, I simply open the door and look at it. (I never thought of that until someone mentioned it)
whemme

Post by whemme »

Sam,

I said the following: I add 4 oz of Calgon water softener to my gray and black water tanks every time they are being used.

I do not add Calgon to the fresh water tank and therefore it never gets into the hot water heater either. The bleach gets added to all three tanks just before the final fill and rinse out drain. Therefore the bleach never gets into the hot water heater either.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”