Anybody "scrape bottom" of BF going in & out o

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

Anybody "scrape bottom" of BF going in & out o

Post by stevek »

In and out of DRIVEWAY.
If so, what did you do?
Any theories or ideas? Thanks..
:D
Last edited by stevek on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
whemme

Post by whemme »

Whenever there is a sizable dip involved with entering or departing any driveway, it is best to cross the dip at as close to a 45 degree angle as possible and always drive thru the dip very slowly. The roller wheels mounted under your rear bumper will prevent damage to the rear of the coach and especially to the black and gray tanks if you do this.

If the dips are too severe, then don't entry such a driveway.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

This is not unique to Born Free motor coaches. As Bill says, apppoach at a 45 degree angle and proceed s-l-o-w-l-y. :D

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Yep, my drag wheels get used at times. :)
stevek

Post by stevek »

Has anybody made some sort of a removable ramp, that you can lay it in the gutter for example and remove it after you pulled into your driveway?
Would something like that work?

Also what about moving the skid wheels? or smaller Dia.?
Like closer to the rear axle for example.
Has anybody done that?
Steve
CA/OR border
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

Depending on the size and shape of the gutter, maybe just laying some boards parallel to the curb would fill it in enough to make it less of a dip.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
Rob

Post by Rob »

At our home in Arizona I place (2) 2X4's next to each other across the driveway entrance. Works well.

Rob and Joan
2003 24RB
bfadmin
Site Admin

Post by bfadmin »

stevek wrote:Has anybody made some sort of a removable ramp, that you can lay it in the gutter for example and remove it after you pulled into your driveway?
Would something like that work?

Also what about moving the skid wheels? or smaller Dia.?
Like closer to the rear axle for example.
Has anybody done that?
Steve,

You want the skid wheels where there are and if you reduce the diameter then the whole purpose of the skid wheels would be compromised. Also, if moving them closer to the rear axle was a good idea then moving them right next to the axle should be even a better idea. I don't think so. Then they would never contact the ground at all preventing the rear end or tanks from contacting the ground.

Anything like 2 x 12 boards that you could put in the bottom of the dip to make the crossing more flat would help your problem of getting into your driveway with out damage. If the drag wheels are hitting way before you even get to the bottom of the dip your are risking damage to your coach. Your coach was built with frame extensions welded onto the Ford cutaway frame to extend the frame so that the 24', 26' or 27' body could be supported by that extended frame. If you go thru a severe dip such that the drag wheels contact the ground several feet before the rear wheels get to the bottom of the dip, then a great amount of force is exerted upward on the frame extensions possibly causing them to bend and cause damage to your fiberglass body shell in the rear of your coach.

Virgil may have his own opinion on this issue.
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Website Forum Administrators
(bfadmin-1) Dave Moffat - Primary Administrator
(bfadmin-3) Sandy Perley - Assistant Administrator
(bfadmin-2) Bill Hemme - Backup Administrator
(bfadmin) Email: bfadmin@bornfreervclub.org
Virgil and Anne Dutton

I agree with the above post. Those drag wheels are placed pretty much at the optimum position. They are there to protect the rear bumper and the tanks which are below the level of the bumper. Moving them forward would probably lessen their function. If it is primarily at your driveway where you are having the problem, it seems that placing wooden boards or planks there would be the simplest solution. You don't have to make it level with the street; just use enough to lessen, or eliminate, your drag.
Incidentally; I have worked with Ford Engineering in the past to lengthen both E and F Series frames , as mentioned above, for shuttle busses.
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
stevek

Post by stevek »

thanks everybody..
So, sounds like some sort of "wood" in the gutter: to lessen the slope, is the best option.
Steve
CA/OR border
lafons

Post by lafons »

Concert works well also!
Steve,2001 26rsb
East tennessee
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Concrete would probably be the best permanent solution except cities and other government agencies frown and get pretty upset at changing the drainage etc. of "their" curbs and gutters. I know this from first hand experience.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
John S.

Post by John S. »

Usually I hit on some fuel stations driveways. Not a huge amount but know there is an overhang back there. I used to hit with the built for two as well but not as often.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

Draggin' is scary. My previous RV was a Class B with a motorcycle mounted on the back. Even with air bags, that rail would scrape in almost every gas station I used. Very scary, and I used to scrape the heads off bolts, too. So I was pleased to see the drag rollers on the BF.

However, I am now adding to the frame in order to carry said motorcycle. I hope I don't have the dragging problem even worse- a lot more overhang on this RSB than on my Class B. :-0

Anyone carrying a motorcycle/ scooter on their E350 chassis? I'm going to start a thread if not.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Be careful about carrying a motorcycle on an extended frame mount on the rear of your Born Free. You probably would exceed both the weight carrying rating of both your rear dual tires and the rear axle.

A 600 lb motorcycle mounted there could add 900 lb weight to the rear axle and remove 300 lbs from the front axle.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”