I'm Finally IN IT!

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

shezonit

I'm Finally IN IT!

Post by shezonit »

Left Montana Oct. 11th, driving south in caravan with my camping buddy.
Both of us pulling trailers. We stopped at Lava Hot Springs. There's an RV park right across the street from the pools. I had called ahead to make sure there was room to park trailers and extra truck and there was plenty. What a great way to start my vacation, soaking and snoozing in the Born Free.

I am just so at home in it. I made some changes, can think of a few more...
The first thing was I couldn't believe this rig is 20+ years old, a lot of miles, and not one coat hook in the place. So that was a priority. I found a coatrack with low profile double hooks on a wood bar that nearly matches the walls. That went on the wall above the handrail. Added a pocket next to the one at steps. Holds the dogs do bags, gloves, etc.

I counted something like 20 cabinets and 8 large drawers.... I have several of these still empty ( hooray!) and I am already wishing I'd made a list of where I put things...
Anyone else get lost in the Born free? :-)
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Sounds good! I feel the same way about my BF. It's kind of like being in love, isn't it? :D
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

Mockturtle, you cracked me up with that one. Yes it is like being in love. Or how I feel about my old abused shelter dog. No matter what he does, I still love him, he cant help being special. So even the little quirks in here ( from age, etc.) are just part of the charm.
Do you spend a lot of time traveling in yours? Do you carry a vacuum?
I'd really like to change out the carpet for hard flooring. Between 2 long haired dogs and me... I am picking up hairballs already. :-p
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I spend as much time camping as I am able right now---not as much as I'd like. Right now there are circumstances beyond my control that keep me fairly close to home but I'm planning to eventually sell the S&B and move into the BF. Might even tackle Alaska! Not as part of a caravan but just me and my dog. And it would be so nice to enjoy the desert in winter like my husband and I used to do.

Since I usually dry camp for just a few days, I bring my portable vacuum [rechargeable] but it has limited effectiveness on dog hair. When I go full time I'll bring my lightweight Hoover upright. It will fit nicely in the back of the closet.

I find that one of these does the quickest and best dog hair pickup from carpets and upholstery: http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Brush-Remov ... 24207011_2
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

Thanks for reply re dog hair remedies. I have one of those, lint rollers, and probably 3 other kinds of hair control devices. Nothing replaces a good vacuuming, though. I am leaning toward my Ergopedia cordless stick vac. (Costco $99.) it is quite effective and deploys as a handheld, too. Holds a charge long enough to vacuum my apt twice, so it should do the BF a few times on one charge. But of course I left it in Montana...

I rode my motorcycle to Alaska a few yrs go. Totally safe and easy, except for looonnnng distances. The further north you go, the higher cost it gets. Fuel, food, every service.

Driving south is the opposite. Everything gets cheaper. And I love palm trees.....
I may do some Baja this winter. Did it in a van in 2004. Petting whales was worth the entire trip!
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

shezonit,

C'mon. Who cares about papillon hair??!! It's considered a condiment in our house and motorhome! For those who don't know what a papillon is, look at my avatar. We both own papillons, I believe. Good traveling companions.

Joe and Lucinda, who keep finding hair in strange corners of the motorhome
Morpho, Shiloh (the avatar) and Tonto
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

A condiment! That's too funny. Yes, the only way it doesn't drive me crazy is that I know it's "clean" ....
As far as "owning" a Papillon, I paid for him, but I think he owns me!! Wish I could figure out how to post pictures of Emmett and Odie on here.
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

We hung a hook rack in the same place over the step hand rail, but we also hung a shoe bag there at the same time and cut off the couple of bags that interfered with the rail. The screws that hold up the hook rack also hold up the shoe bag. The "shoe" bag holds gloves, hats, flashlight, ponchos, oh, and shoes.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
Trix

Post by Trix »

I am FT in my 24RB, with two long haired cats. I would dearly love to loose the carpet on the floor and replace with hardwood. I just need to save up the money! My hand vac has a hard time keeping up with all the cat hair.
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
learning RV'g in my 2007 24' RB
2011 Subaru Forester toad
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Just a thought about hardwood: It requires a LOT of maintenance. I would have all vinyl, myself. My husband and I had a Foretravel Class A that had partial hardwood floors and they scratched really easily just tracking in normal debris. I was constantly waxing and buffing it. Pretty, though....
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

Clever. I used a document pocket. A shoe bag would hold more. I'll watch for a clear or mesh one so I can see what's there.
Meanwhile, I had a narrow divided bamboo tray that came with my silverware tray. I screwed that into the header above the side door and it holds flashlights, binocs and extra keys. There are also extra keys to the cab and door hidden on the exterior of the rig.
***This is a good practice, and has saved me more than once, usually a long way from home.

Today got 4 more low profile coathooks up. Two at foot of bed above the will-never-be-used tv shelf to hang pjs. One high inside of street side closet door to hang belts,etc. one on extreme high rt corner of tub enclosure for a robe.

Right now have my salt lamp on solar power! It works!
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

mockturtle wrote:Just a thought about hardwood: It requires a LOT of maintenance. I would have all vinyl, myself. My husband and I had a Foretravel Class A that had partial hardwood floors and they scratched really easily just tracking in normal debris. I was constantly waxing and buffing it. Pretty, though....
My friend has a new Leisure Travel Van. (High end Class b) It has "wood look" resilient vinyl which looks great and takes her about 5 minutes to SWEEP clean.

I wouldn't do real wood, just more weight. I'm thinking the same vinyl or laminate. The new BFs have what looks like tile. Not sure I love it, will have to see in person at Tucson show.

Right now I have mats and a runner to keep traffic off the "real" carpet.
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

Trix wrote:I am FT in my 24RB, with two long haired cats. I would dearly love to loose the carpet on the floor and replace with hardwood. I just need to save up the money! My hand vac has a hard time keeping up with all the cat hair.
FULL TIME! Good for you!
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I have the laminate wood flooring....love it...no more carpet. A quick wipe down when needed & it always looks great.... 8)
Trix

Post by Trix »

Did you install it yourself Charlotte, or have it done? If so, when, where, cost?

Thanks,
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
learning RV'g in my 2007 24' RB
2011 Subaru Forester toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”