generator, knock out 120V outlets?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Laker

generator, knock out 120V outlets?

Post by Laker »

Ran the generator for monthly exercise. Plugged in 1500w space heater to provide a "load" All is good, then genny stopped - still have 1/2 tank of fuel and it will restart.

120v outlets and heater no longer work. Checked panel an 20 amp circuit breaker to "Refrigerator and convertor" had tripped. Reset circuit braker. NO IMPROVEMENT, PROBLEM CONTINUES.

Attach shore power and all outlets work.

Right now, refrigerator will NOT operate on LP, it is on a level site in my driveway where it has worked on LP before , but will not ignite.

Generator will restart.

Any and all suggestions for solution are appreciated.

Thanks
Looking for 2011 or newer RSB

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with Ready Brake
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

The fridge only requires 12V power to work on LP, so the generator problem shouldn't affect it.

Assuming you have a Norcold, does the front panel light up when you try to turn it on?

If the panel doesn't light, use a meter to verify that you have 12V to the fridge. Also check the 12V fuse in the fuse panel.

If you have 12V to the fridge, do you hear a clicking/sparking sound when you turn on the fridge? You may need to have someone turn the fridge on while you are outside at the rear of the fridge to hear the sound. If so then at least the fridge is trying to light the propane. After the fridge has tried to light the propane and fails, the fridge needs to be turned off and back on for it to try to light again. If no sparking/clicking sound and you have 12V to the fridge then your control board may be bad.

You do have the propane tank valve turned on, don't you? Had to ask, just in case.

Perhaps the transfer relay is not working or the generator is not putting out a/c power. If you are experienced with taking care of a/c power problems and wiring in a house you could take a meter and check for voltage from the generator to the transfer relay, or at the a/c CB panel. If you have no experience with a/c power then it is best to leave it alone and get expert help.
Laker

Post by Laker »

Dometic refer. After testing for 12v to refer and then manually lighting the LP, it now seems to be working properly.

I appreciate your suggestions and I had tried most of them to try and figure out the problem.

I still have not determined why the generator quit running. As I remember, the interior light, florescent, was blinking and not at full brightness just as the generator stopped running.

I have gotten the generator to restart, but have not tested it with a "load"

Why would the outlets fail to work under generator power, but work fine with shore power?

Thanks

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Laker wrote:
Why would the outlets fail to work under generator power, but work fine with shore power?

Thanks
If the transfer switch/relay isn't working then you will not have a/c power from the generator. The transfer switch should energize when it sees power from the generator. If the gen is not putting out power the switch will not energize. There should be info in your owners manual describing where the transfer switch is located. Mine is on the back of the converter, by the a/c power C/B panel.
Laker

Post by Laker »

Thanks. I will give it a check in the morning.

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

Laker wrote:

Thanks
The transfer switch is "looking" for right voltage and frequency. When the generator's engine can not develop the nominal speed the frequency is well below 60 HZ (governor malfunction).

On the other hand, it appears that the generator has problems working with the shore power ON (breaker on the shore side was tripping in my case). I suspect that the transfer switch makes contact before breaking the shore power (it is equal to a short circuit). So, use/exercise the generator w/o second power (shore or from DC/AC converter).
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

My generator has a breaker on the output with a reset button. Believe the generator will run but no electricity to RV if this breaker has been thrown.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
Tom and Jennifer Pierpan

generator knock out

Post by Tom and Jennifer Pierpan »

We had this problem with our generator as well. It ended up being the voltage regulator inside the generator. If you look at my previous post on our Generac generator, there is more detailed information. The generator had to be pulled from the BF to repair. The transfer switch is another possible issue, but the voltage regulator should be considered as well.
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

Mike Astley wrote:My generator has a breaker on the output with a reset button. Believe the generator will run but no electricity to RV if this breaker has been thrown.
Very likely
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”