To Blow or not to Blow.... winterize waterlines?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

To Blow or not to Blow.... winterize waterlines?

Post by stevek »

Well... its that time of year to winterize my waterlines.
Only the 2nd Winter for me with any type of RV.
Last year I use the Walmart Antifreeze.

This year I am just thinking of using my Air Compressor and Blowing the lines out.

Can you all please refresh my memory of the Pros and Cons.
Thanks...
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I just use the pink stuff. Seems to me that the only 'con' to the air-compressor method is that the water pump may not get cleared.
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

We also use the pink stuff. However, make sure you get unflavored/unfragranced pink stuff. One year, with our previous motorhome, we bought some pink stuff at our local hardware store, and it advertised a pleasant taste. Not! The next spring, after 4 fresh water flushings, we could still taste it. We then did vinegar, followed by another flush - almost there. We then did baking soda followed by another flush. Finally that awful taste was gone. Luckily we were staying at a campground where the owner realized we were only dumping fresh water!
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Laker

Post by Laker »

mockturtle wrote:I just use the pink stuff. Seems to me that the only 'con' to the air-compressor method is that the water pump may not get cleared.
Can that potential problem not be solved by hooking up to the antifreeze jug as normal and then running the pump for a short boost? Seems like it would put enough antifreeze into the pump to displace any possible water.

Just a thought
Looking for 2011 or newer RSB

2008 27' RB. SOLD,
2007 Chevy HHR "toad"
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with Ready Brake
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

If blowing out the air lines is your desired way, I recommend reading Mike & Jean Bandfield's reply to a similar post:

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... php?t=3404

It gives very precise instructions on how to perform this process properly. I have never done this, but the post is quite detailed.
Joe and Lucinda
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Dude

Post by Dude »

I was briefly thinking about blowing out my water lines this year instead of using the antifreeze. Honestly, it is so easy to put the antifreeze in that the thought of blowing out the lines blew right out of my head.

When I thought about it I would have to buy the adapter, get my compressor out, I think I would need a different air chuck.....The antifreeze is only $3 per gallon at Wal Mart (I just bought mine). I didn't notice a taste, but then again I did a thorough rinse at home with bleach before I went camping in the spring.

I can winterize in less than 10 minutes. Hook up the hose to the water pump, put it in and run it till it's pink.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Dude, I failed to mention that we had ALREADY done the sanitization with bleach and flushed. That was flush #1. That taste was the dickens to get out of the lines!
Joe and Lucinda
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
randallrae

winterize

Post by randallrae »

You should only use a compressor that uses no oil.Oil lubricated compressors can contaminate your water system.
2012 25' rb
mquade

Blowing out water lines

Post by mquade »

I've blown out the lines on our BFT for 6 yrs. now with no problems, and we live in Wi where temps get down there. Just have to make sure you hear air coming out of all faucets, and put a little antifreeze into water traps. Regards the water pump, after blowing out the water, I run the pump a little, then take off the small sieve and dump any remaining water. FWIT, I find this easier, less costly, and quicker to fill in the spring.
bill crommett

winterzing

Post by bill crommett »

I have used the compressed air route for years. Yes, I worry about the water pump, but have found that waiting until tomorrow to re-blow the system will allow any drip to get to a low point that will be blown out. We live in the foot hills of Northern South Carolina where it seldom gets very cold at night. When the prediction is for way sub-freezing weather I just put a shielded 60 watt bulb near the water pump over night, which is probably unnecessary.
The concern about rupturing a water line with air pressure is unfounded because an open faucet will not let the pressure rise to dangerous levels no mater what the input air pressure is.
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

Small amount of water in the piping system is harmless. It freezes but does not do any damage (for example the water heater tank contains always some water left). As far as the pump is concern, blowing air and running the pump evacuates enough water, so no damage could occur.

Very recently I built a trap (1.5" PVC pipe), filled it with water and put it in the freezer. The ice expanded alongside the pipe and did not rupture anything.

So it is more than enough to drain the system driving with all spigots open (it safes time). And to be on the safe side, blow with with 45 psi air and put some of the Wal Mart stuff in the traps. With spigots and drain valves open the BF can go safely for storage.
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
whemme

Post by whemme »

I personally like to use RV antifreeze to winterize my Born Free and have done it that way for the 8 years since I have owned it. My coach came equipped with a winterization hose made up of a 3' length of 1/2" surgical tubing with a right angle connector on one end to hook up to the input port on the water pump.

See the two attached photos below.

a) Drain the hot water heater and then place the associated 3 valves in the bypass position.
b) Then turn on the water pump and open each hot and cold faucet and each floor drain one at a time until the pink antifreeze flows out. Make sure that the water traps in all sinks get antifreeze in them. Run both hot & cold faucets in the shower and also the outside shower hose if you coach is so equipped.
c) Don't forget the toilet rinse hose valve also.
d) I can winterize my Born Free with 1-1/2 gallons of RV antifreeze
Attachments
View of Fresh Water Tank Hose Disconnected from Water Pump Input and Winterization Hose Connected.jpg
View of Fresh Water Tank Hose Disconnected from Water Pump Input and Winterization Hose Connected.jpg (208.55 KiB) Viewed 13076 times
RV Antifreeze & Winterization Hose Surgical Tubing.jpg
RV Antifreeze & Winterization Hose Surgical Tubing.jpg (468.85 KiB) Viewed 13078 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks everybody.
I will probably just go with the PINK stuff again, although the AIR is intriguing. I could still taste the PINK in the spring.

The thing I don't understand, why winterizing can't be more simple?

Why aren't the MH water system designed to Drain just by GRAVITY?
And could work like this:
Close WH valves, and Bypass WH. Unscrew drain plug and drain WH.
Open up all the facets to allow air in system.
Open up all floor drain valves.
Run the Pump briefly, to run dry. Maybe undo 1 line to Pump?
Pour Pink in all the traps.
Why can't it be this simple? What am I missing? Thanks Again...
whemme

Post by whemme »

Steve,

If you look at all the water lines in your Born Free, they lie flat on the level floor under the cabinets, etc. In order for gravity to do what you want, both the cold and hot water lines would have to be elevated in a curved fashion with the low points being two master drains - one hot water and one cold water. Well, I doubt that it would be reasonable to have a curved rather than a flat floor or to elevate the lines and water pump in a curved manner.

Actually, in addition to the simple steps you list in your post, only the extra step of connecting the 3' adapter hose to the water pump's inlet port and to a gallon of pink antifreeze would be necessary to complete the process. Simple enough in my opinion.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I filter all of my drinking water in a Brita filter pitcher and it removes any residual smells and tastes, like chlorine [which I can't stand] and have never had a problem with drinking water taste after dewinterizing. I always sanitize after dewinterizing.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”