How do I get these Speakers to Work?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

How do I get these Speakers to Work?

Post by stevek »

They are for the Radio in the Cab.
I can not get them to work.
I have tried the "fade" from front to rear. No luck, no sound.

They are the 2 little speakers on this side of the roll bar.
One on the left and one on the right.
Thanks..
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
whemme

Post by whemme »

The aft speakers in my 2002 BF 26' RSB coach are located under and to the rear of the front oak cabinets. Do you have speakers located there in your coach? If not and they have been replaced in later model coaches with speakers as shown in your photo, then I guess you will have to do some troubleshooting.

You will need to start tracing the wires from both speakers down to where they connect into the back side of the dash mounted radio. Maybe you will find the wires cut somewhere. This may involve some major work to accomplish. A call to Kim Olson at the factory my get you some help in determining exactly how the wires between the speakers and the radio are routed.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

I recently replaced the original Ford Radio and made an extensive Internet research to identify the wires. I had partial results. I had to cut all wires from the original Ford connector and splice them to the connector that came with the new radio.

Possible solution:

- Circuit City or any other car radio shops or your self can take out the original radio (require special tools - important) and make sure that the wires are connected to the radio connector. I suspect that they are not.

- The wires coming from the external speakers are of a heavier gauge than the rest and they are twisted. They are colored brown and black.

- Chasing the wire routing is quite cumbersome and unnecessary.
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

We also have 2011 and one speaker failed and was replaced (by me) under warranty. It seems unlikely that both would have failed. Anyway it is easy to remove them to get to wiring. If you can come up with an 8 ohm speaker, it could be used to see if signal is getting back there. Treat the wires as if they were "hot". You don't want to trash the radio.
Good Luck,
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks everyone.
mystery solved... Poor installation from Factory. Is my guess..
Wires were not making contact with speaker.
I have only removed the speaker on the left, but suspect right one is the same.
Wires very short. Plus stripping very short.
Plus speaker wire is attached to speaker enclosure with "spring thingies" like this..and probably pulled out.
http://www.parts-express.com/round-spea ... e--260-294

Add all that together, and probably came apart during installation and was never tested. I bet they never did work. Just guessing.

Anyway hooked up the speaker, turned on the radio and worked like a champ.

These speakers are only dedicated to the radio in the cab, and NOT the CD/ DVD player and TV.
When you play a CD, it plays thru the TV speakers only. An not these speakers.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I purchased the tool (package of two) mentioned above at a local autoparts store. Don't remember the price but were not expensive and makes releasing and removing the radio very easy.
Attachments
Ford radio removal tool.jpg
Ford radio removal tool.jpg (20.3 KiB) Viewed 5514 times
Mel & Connie
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

When one of the original coach speakers failed it took out the final in the radio. I replaced the transistor in the radio and repaired the speaker - a big pain in the wazoo :!: When the second speaker went and took out the other final :shock: I got a new amp and speakers and don't use them with the Ford radio anymore. If/when the dash speakers go out I'll replace the Ford radio too. YMMV.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”