What kind of Electric Heater do you use?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

What kind of Electric Heater do you use?

Post by stevek »

This time of year, when we use the BF, we usually stay at a RV park.
Rather than using the Propane Furnace in the BF, I just plug in a Portable Heater.
Was just curious what you use?
My present heater has a hard time keeping up.
We are using the BF, with Temps as low as Zero.

Regarding the Propane Furnace in the BF, what would you say the Efficiency is?
50% ..60%.. 70% ...?
Thanks
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I sometimes use a ceramic heater [or a catalytic heater when dry camping] but if I need serious heating I use the furnace.
hrgermany

Post by hrgermany »

I use a Broan *Model 6201 electric heater.That has 1500 watts.Works real well

Hans Rueckert
1995 BF 26 FT RSB
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

usually can get away with the heat strip...and 2 dogs :shock:
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

We use a small ceramic heater..its about 1 cubic foot in size..we set it on the kitchen counter (when not using the counter) as this seems the safest place for it to blast the heat from and not over heat anything near by.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
shezonit

heaters

Post by shezonit »

I have two. One is a little ceramic cube that blows heat at 2 speeds. This one I place on floor at base of sink cabinet and blow the heat forward to lounge. Keeps my feet warm if I am sitting at the table.
The other is my favorite-- a half size version of those oil filled radiator types. I found it in a hardware store and bought two. I cant find them anymore. It is great because no 'hot" parts to burn anything, and it is small enough to store at side of closet. This one sits at base of stovetop cabinet, takes up almost no room and keeps the bed area warm.

I haven't been in real cold yet. (maybe 25 degrees one night in New Mexico) The furnace works well, but I don't like the noise so I turn it way down while I am sleeping. With the foil over all the windows and windshield, cab drapes pulled, I cant feel any real air leaks. I wonder about the outside access doors under the bed, but they are hard enough to close, I gotta believe there is some sort of seal there. [/img]
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

I'm guessing the efficiency of the forced air furnace is more like 30%. The majority of the heat gets blown out the exhaust vent along with the exhaust gasses.

Most all of the electric heaters are rated at 1500 watts. It matters very little in heat whether or not you spend $25 or $100 for the heater, they put out the same amount of heat.

Keep in mind that the 1500 watts is about 13 amps at 120 volts. If you try to operate two of them at the same time that is 26 amps. If your BF is like mine, all the convenience outlets are on one 20amp circuit breaker and two heaters will overload the CB. The microwave, fridge and water heater are on CB's separate from the convenience outlets.
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

My little heaters are 750 watts each. i haven't tripped a breaker using them.
Heaters. Living in Montana, we need heat. Long ago, when I first moved here, I was considering different types of electric heat and the electrician said "watts are watts, no matter the source". I leave incandescent lights on all day. Brightens the apartment from winter gloom and adds watts to my heating. Just hold your hand over even a 40 watt bulb. Luckily, I live on a reservation, and electricity is only 6 cents a KW. I did invest in good windows and insulation and ceiling fans stay on 24/ 7 for even heat. In the BF, the reading lights get hot, so I turn the shades to aim up and let the heat escape.

So, Al, why are propane furnaces STILL so inefficient? How could we recycle all the heat that goes out the vent?

Has anyone tried a ceiling fan in a BF. ?? Many 5 th wheels have them in the lounge.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

I guess I haven't paid enough attention to small elect heaters. The ones I have purchased in the past have always been 1500 watts.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Gas furnaces in homes are more efficient than furnaces in RV's. I think that is because people in homes are more aware of and are willing to pay a few more dollars for an efficient furnace.

I am not aware of a large number of people demanding a more efficient furnace from RV manufactures. Some of that probably comes from the fact that most RV's are only used for a few weeks of the year, and then much of that time is in warm weather.

There may be a space problem as well. To capture more of the heat from the burning gasses probably requires a larger heat transfer assembly.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”