Can I use a Drop Cord in Winter for BF?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

Can I use a Drop Cord in Winter for BF?

Post by stevek »

Rather than using the Power Cord that came with my BF, can I just use a drop cord?

I will need to adapt to the BF power plug.
I think it is NEMA L5-30P.
My existing BF power cord is 30 feet and I assume 10 Ga.

I can to get by with a 75 foot cord.
What gauge would you recommend? 16, 14, 12, ?

This would be just to power the Converter to keep my AGM batteries charged.
The BF Battery Disconnect Switch would be in the OFF position.

Plus anybody know of adapters from 110V to the BF 3 prong twist and lock?

Thanks... and Happy holidays everybody.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

To just use the converter to keep the battery charged, 16 gauge will work fine.

If you want to use the microwave a 10 or at least 12 gauge is needed.

You can take your30amp power cord to a place like Home Depot or Lowes and find a connector which matches. The 30amp plugs & connectors I have bought cost about $25-$30 at the hardware store.

If you have a 30amp to 20amp dog bone you can just plug your extension cord into your 30amp power cord and not need to worry about going to the hardware store.
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Steve,
There are a few land mines in your question.

How much current do you intend drawing? Some high end converters can really crank up the current when charging a low battery. Heaters and heating elements in the WH and refer or the microwave would probably cause a dangerous voltage drop over 75'.

With the battery disconnect OFF your batteries are disconnected from the converter. Is it your intention to just turn on the switch occasionally for a short time to charge the batteries?

You can make an adapter to bridge between the twist lock connector on the side of the BF to a std male 3 prong plug. The only adapters I've seen for sale would be from the 30 amp plug at the end of your BF cord to a std male plug. They're available @ home depot (and I would recommend you always carry one with you.)

I would recommend a 1-2 amp 3 stage battery charger to connect directly to your batteries and the extension cord. You could then leave it attached for long periods with no worry and switch it to your chassis battery occasionally.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
stevek

Post by stevek »

I just want enough amperage to keep my batteries charged.
I do not plan on powering anything else.
So... I should keep my Battery Disconnect Switch turn ON all the time?

My Owners Manual says to keep this switch turned OFF when stored for winter.

So bottom line, I should keep my BF plugged in during winter and the battery disconnect switch ON all the time?

Or would it be better to buy a Trickle Charger and hook directly up to the batteries and leave no power to the BF and the switch off?

My Owner Manual says the Converter puts out 3 amps per hour charging the battery.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
whemme

Post by whemme »

Steve,

If you want the charger/converter powered from a 110 VAC connection to your shore line power input to be able to charge your house batteries, then yes, your battery master switch must be ON. However, if your charger/converter installed in your Born Free is still the original single stage Parallax 7345 system then you don't want that left on continuously to charge your batteries as that system will will result in over-charging your batteries and boiling out the acid - eventually destroying the batteries.

Two recommended choices. Either change out the Parallax 7345 Charger/Converter and replace it with a 3-stage Progressive Dynamics PD4655 Charger/Converter per the directions containing in the topic titled Converting Parallax 7345 Charger/Converter to PD4655 system in the Coach Modifications section of this forum or use a small 1-amp 3-stage charger connected directly to you house batteries to keep them charged during coach storage. For this choice please read the following topic titled Charging coach batteries while your Born Free is in storage which is in the Technical Library section of this forum. Using that low current charger you can use a long drop cord made of 18 AWG wire no problem.

Both of these type 3-stage chargers can be left connected to your house batteries indefinitely without any concern for over-charging problems.

Now since your Born Free is a newer 2011 model, it may not be equipped with the single stage Parallax 7345 Charger/Converter and instead may already be equipped with a modern 3-stage charger/converter. If so, then a long drop cord made of 12 AWG wire would work OK for you. You will need to determine how your coach is equipped.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

To keep the chassis battery charged the Trik-L-Start unit from LSL Products worked well for me. I like the fact that it is an install it and forget it application. http://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html
Mel & Connie

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”