Interior water leak

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tmresearch

Interior water leak

Post by tmresearch »

I just purchased a 2004 BF RSB with26K miles. It had been in storage for 2 years and prior owner left sliding window behind passenger seat cracked. Water damaged the wood on both sides of the table holder so that the wood is almost black. If I didn't point out, it would not be noticed and only some minor rot where meets the carpet.

Dryed out carpet and put in kitty litter to absorb moisture in carpet right behind front Captains chair (behind the passenger seat) against the curve in the interior wall and carpet. Then I noticed that same area was damp about 2 weeks later from moisture (I locked window permanently as the catch was not holding sliding windows together and had to use screw driver to force the lock to work)

So suggestions about source of leak? Roof area seals? Window seals?

Would using food coloring dye in water and pouring over roof areas and/or window track leak source?

My previous RV was a Pleasure Way Excel and they always mentioned to park with front slightly UPHILL as leak may occur if parked opposite. Never had leak for 10 years in PW RV so I am concerned about mildew/rot/smell/etc.

Help and ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

Interesting about the "parking uphill". My '96 Bigfoot Class B had a mystery leak that only happened if I was on a slight downhill. It somehow leaked on the roof to body seal and would drip out in the oddest places. If I was level or uphill, no leak....
We tried removing and resealing the back windows, new seal around the AC, and around the entire roof seal. It still leaked in a very hard long rain, but it had to be a 2 day rain to show up inside. Luckily no rot or odors.
tmresearch

Interior water leak

Post by tmresearch »

Sam, thanks for your response. I did not catch it until today as I am still learning to negotiate the forum as a "newbie" to this site. Got much needed help and did help others when I was on the Pleasure Way forum for 10 years.

Questions:
The water leaks are likely coming from the vertical seam above the curved area of the living room, just aft the cabover window (if your unit has cabover side windows) or, possibly the horizontal seaming directly above the area in the living room, or the horizontal seam in the cabover.

Remove screws from seams, buy new longer, (but not too much longer) stainless steel screws that match the sizing in all other ways except stainless and a tad longer than ones you remove. Buy thes from an independent hardware store that has a vast selection of screws to pick from near you. Then, upon re-installing of crews, shoot caulk in the vacant screw holes in generous amounts before screwing in new screws. That should stop the water leaks in that area.

Please give me procedure for pulling seam away from areas you suggest to get to the screws. Yes, I do have the cab over windows. Would you suggest that I replace ALL seam screws or just start at 1 particular seam, replace screws and put in clear silicone caulk? If so which seam/screws would you suggest to start?
Thanks so much for your advice.

I know you live in Dallas but this is from

Dallas in South Carolina
stevek

Post by stevek »

I don't know if this will help.
I went to the BF factory, and they test all new BF's for leaks by pressurizing the interior and running water on outside.
Maybe it was soapy water?
The factory has an attachment that attaches where the fantastic fan opening on the roof is.
Before the fan is installed.

If you had a squirrel cage fan and could improvise a way to hook it up, you could do the same?
Maybe thru an open window?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
whemme

Post by whemme »

Take you Born Free either to the factory or an RV shop that has the capability of pressuring the interior and then spraying soapy water on the outside looking for bubbles to appear on the surface where your leak is located. This method of locating sources of leaks it the only reliable why to do it in my opinion.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

stevek wrote: The factory has an attachment that attaches where the fantastic fan opening on the roof is.
Before the fan is installed.
I'll bet this is why they didn't find the leak around my fantastic fan :idea: :!: :?:
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”