running generator often?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

richnwendy

running generator often?

Post by richnwendy »

Manual suggests running generator once weekly for 30 minutes. Seems excessive; what are your practices?
2014 23' Freedom (2nd BF)
Re-starting retirement
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Once a month is all I do, under load.
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

If RV is in prolonged storage, putting fuel stabilizer in tank can also help generator go longer between exercises.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Ray

Post by Ray »

Dont use ethanol, and when you exercise it under load make sure you allow a cool down period before shut down.
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

A good engineering practice is to run at least once a week generators considered "emergency". It is a test of the SYSTEM readiness to function properly. The system includes batteries, transfer equipment, generator-engine assembly etc.

Our generators are way out of this critical usage. They are not different than any gas engine driven equipment spread all over in our garages or garden sheds. Most troubles in the engines are due to gasoline deterioration in the carburetors. So as mentioned above gas stabilizer, preventing deterioration, OR draining the gas would be sufficient to keep the engine for very long time witout so called exercise.

In accordance of German big engine builders every cold engine start is equal of 6 hours normal wear and tear.

My practice is - check the generator/transfer before trip and drain the carburetor (run it with disconnected gas line) after the trip. And since my generator is so "difficult to start" Guardian unit I use spray to help it out.
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
Ray

Post by Ray »

Spray? Like ether? ........ degrades top cylinder lubrication during start up, that adds some time to normal wear and tear calculation also.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”