Engine Battery Doesn't Stay Charged

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

sonomaellen

Engine Battery Doesn't Stay Charged

Post by sonomaellen »

We finally figured out our house battery problems (understanding the Battery Disconnect switch position in the coach, making sure the GFI hadn't tripped, etc.) and they no longer lose charge. However, our engine battery continues to do so. It's getting a little frustrating. Rather than being able to leave on the spur of the moment (more or less), we now start the motorhome a couple of days before leaving and discover the battery is dead. I have a 1992 Ford Explorer that often sits for over a month and haven't had this happen. What are we doing wrong?
Ellen and Ron
2007 24RB
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

E&R. For no apparent reason, the vehicle battery in our 2004 BFT went dead. Up to the dealer who put it on the "machine", but was unable to locate a problem. They charged it and I now drive the BFT at least once every two weeks for at no less that 25 minutes. No further problems. The inference from the Ford Dealer was that I just was not using the vehicle enough in the off-season to keep the battery charged. I don't know if this info is any help, but at least you know you are not the only ones with battery blips.

Steve W
2004 BFT
bill crommett

battery

Post by bill crommett »

If you battery is still under a warrantee, take it to a dealer who sells the brand and tel him that you need a replacement. The general concensus is that an automotive battery should last about four to five years, but some have proclaimed on this forjum of having boat batteries last much longer if not used to the extent auto batteries are used or under the severe conditions of being next to a hot engine for days on end. Hold the phone -- some others are bound to chip in here.
Bill

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”