Improve the sofa-bed

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

hrgermany

Improve the sofa-bed

Post by hrgermany »

I have a 1995 26 ft BF RSB.MY sofa -bed is not the greates thing to sleep on.Has any body made an improvement on the sofa or replaced it ?
Hans Rueckert
robert

Post by robert »

That is the understatement of the year or several years. The sofa bed as a sleeper leaves a lot to be desired.

This is the way I solved the problem.

I opened the sofa bed, and measured the back side of the sofa. I purchased a piece of 2 inch foam to fit over the back of the sofa. That solved the problem of the height difference between the back and the front of the sofa when it was open.

I then purchased a mattress topper (form) to cover the entire sofa when it is open. That was about two inches thick, and it eliminated the crack created by the installation of the foam piece on the back part.

That has worked extremely well. Fortunately for me I have the complete cab over as storage area, so I have no problem storing the foam pieces during the day. I understand from previous posts on the same subject that some people put the foam pieces behind the sofa during the day.

I have a twin bed opposite the sofa and if I had the opportunity or the reason to change out the sofa, I would replace it with another twin bed.
healeyt

sofa bed

Post by healeyt »

We thought the same about the sofa bed. It was not comfortable enough for us and certainly hard to get out of at night when the bathroom calls.

We had my brother-in -law build daybeds. They are great. Now we can both get in and out easily and we have wonderful storage underneath. The storage holds the 2 inch foam toppers that we role up like bed rolls and assorted pillow/blankets during the day as well as some clothes and at night the bolsters and assorted daytime pillows fit in it as well. Now we have two flexsteel captains swivel chairs and a flexsteel magic bed to sell.
We live on the Central Coast of California if anyone is looking for Flexsteel furniture.
Theresa
hrgermany

improve the sofa bed

Post by hrgermany »

I was thinking to replace my sofa bed in my 1995 26ft RSB and went to a
Flexsteel dealer that has alot of sofa beds on display.The one that might
have worked is@ 6 inches wider and than you can't walk passe the swivel chairs.So I decided to change the foam padding.Flexsteel has them available.The call them poly foam and fit the sofa bed.I also mounted 1 inch spacer where the backrest mounts to the jackknife frame.That raised
that part by 1 inch.I also added a 1 inch plywood strip where the backrest
lays down on the bed frame.That made the sofa bed fairly level and much more comfortable
Hans Rueckert

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”