Campground suggestions for June/July

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Don Pederson

Post by Don Pederson »

We are headed north from Juno Beach, FL going up I-95, staying at Patrick AFB, then north to I-26; then to Columbia, SC, and I -77 to I-81 to York, PA (immediately south of Harrisburg)
Any good state parks, or Passport America campgrounds?
Traveling in a 2004 26 foot RSB, towing a 2004 Saturn 4-door wagon.
Don and Ann Pederson
Bill Ruh

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi Don and Ann,

If you have a little extra time, you could get on the blue ridge parkway, perhaps at roanoke or earlier, and continue to skyline drive, then get back on I81 at I66. It's 35mph rather than 65mph, but quite pretty. Great views along the road and good hiking if you're into that. We overnighted at otter creek along the blue ridge, which is a delightful small spartan campground, and big meadows along skyline drive. which is a large but fairly nice campground. IIRC, they have dump stations but no hookups, which is typical of the parkway/drive public campgrounds. You can find private campgrounds not too far off the road if you want more amenities, but be aware that a few of the parkway access roads have length limitations. I don't remember any difficult driving on the parkway itself.

In Savannah, we overnighted and hiked in Skidaway Island. It's not close to I95 so may be more appropriate if you're visiting the city, but we enjoyed it.
bill crommett

parks

Post by bill crommett »

I know this does not fit the thread as started, but I would like to plump for
one of our favorites just outside Charleston SC.

James Island County Park is run be the Charleston County park and recreation department and is a first class operation.. Our favorite time of year there is during the Christmas Season when the park is lit up with the most spectacular display of sponsored llight displays from Santa hitting a hole in one, to Jack and Jill on the teeter totter. Somewhere some one said there were 2 million lites, but I never counted them. The charge for touring thenlight display was $10.00 ,but it is free to campground patrons. The first time we went there we went through the light display four times: twice on purpose, and twice because we got lost at the turn-out to the camping area.
Bill
bill crommett

parks

Post by bill crommett »

This duplicate post deleted by bfadmin on 5/16/06.
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

So I stutter ! Sorry .
Bill

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”