I would like to start a positive, informative, discussion

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Trisha

I would like to start a positive, informative, discussion

Post by Trisha »

It upset a few fine people that I mentioned it is a little differetn to be a woman.

I can see his point, that in the wrong place or way, it can be both irrelevant to the conversation; and /or controversial or worse. This is not going to be a post or thread to air any complaints. and I most assurely have nothing against men. So it won't be that kind of thing.

It would also be good for people who are part of a 'couple' to understand what it is like for an rver' who isn't part of a couple (male or female single) and for men to understand what we women go through at some places notorious for not treating us "the same" (ie. the places that work on and service our vehciles.)

What I would like to do is just to have an uplifting, educational, informational, positive discussion and what it's like to be a female rver. (or what it's like to be a single male or female vs. being a couple)

#1. My experience as a single female along is going to be different than yours, wither you're a couple or a single male.

That's not controversial, it is simply a fact. Nothing more. And I don't resent it, most times.

2, As a single rather than as part of a couple, I have to pick up the inside and the outside. I have to clean the kitchen and check the air in the tires and change the oil in the generator. I have to make sure everything, inside and outside, is tied down and put aaway, and most importantly (keep this in mind when you're at rallies with any singles) I don't have anyone to back me into a spot. I get to do it. Jump in and out of the vehicle to level it. Only one sets of eyes, can only be in one place at one time.

It's different. A little more work. But we do choose* to do it. this is just an educational thing.

3. When I need to get serviced, this is where I run into most of the differences. f. ex. When I was buying motorhomes, I was blown off by one sales guy (where's your husband?) and then shown a pop-up tent trailer (that my old car couldn't tow). Then just left alone so the sales person can get some other prospect (with a male in the couple).

I have no idea how often something like this happens. Well, his loss, and Born Free's gain because I promplty went to Iowa and bought the 26' Born Free.

I want to say, though, that this MIGHT be an isolated incident. I did hear of it once with someone else, but I doubt it's universal. Conversely, I am postivie there are good dealers out there that know how to make a fair deal with singles and women.

When I need work done though, I don't always have the option of shopping around until I'm taken seriously. Thankfully it hasn't happened often, but it does happen. I say, it's a wheelbearing or a ball joint. Well, Ihave had wheel bearings and ball joints go bad (in my poor days whehn I had to drive like that for months) and I know what it's like. I'm sure I know. But they ignore me. They check others. After 2 or 3 repairs I did NOT request, they find out it was the ball joing. I'm fuming because I would have saved so much money and time if 1) They looked at the part I told them or 2) I had a husband I could send over to set them straight.

(I actually wish I did have a husband to smooth the way many of these times instead of having to butt heads just to prove Iknew what I was talking aobut. It's never pretty by the time that happens.)

There are differences. You say, tell me what is going on with this, and they ask you if your husband is coming down...so they can tell him.

It happens way too often.

Or you pull into a park, (and here's how it's different....)...how many of you guys have a camper come up to you and aks you "you do this ALL ALONE???". Or do they only ask us women that question? What's really odd here, is that the people who ask me this the most are OTHER WOMEN! I'm not sure what to make of that.

I'm not complaining about being a women (I certainly rather enjoy it mostly). This is meant to be educational. You're not with me when this happens so you don't know it happens or how often.

There are fundamental differences in being a female lone rver and that of being a male lone rver or an RV'ing couple. And when we are cognizant of the differences, we understand one another on the road more and have empathy for one another. Which all starts getting soft and fuzzy :)

What will make it all a richer and more fun experience for all of us is for us to know these differences, and to appreciate them. Then we can all go along being enlightened.

Say we're all in a caravan. The rigs with 2 or more people doing all the work together will the first ones out the door. Naturaly. Same work/2 people. Those of us who travel alone, we have same work, one body to do it. So we will be not right out in front, unless we don't spend any time just resting and enjoying , prepearing in advance to be as far ready in our preparations as the couples are by leaving time.

Just so you know....it's more to do and fewer to do it. So we will end up pulling up the rear in setting up camp, packing up and pulling out and driving. After all, we did all the driving and now we have to do all the rest.

So in a way, this is multifaceted. Let's just all try to realize that each of us has a unique experience, and let's all try to appreciate and celebrate all those differences. Our differences don't make any of us any better or any less than others, only different.

But maybe those who have more time for one thing can lend a hand to someone who has less...or maybe just be patient is enough. As for the ability to handle the technical or whatever, I think those things are split pretty evenly...those who LIKE technical do technical and thos who don't, do other things. And travelling style has precious little to do with it.

So, although I know someone found it rather distressing that I suggested that we were different (men and women in this case)...there are differences and if we refuse to bury them but rather acknowledge them and learn to work around them, we're going to go alot further...and everyone will benefit.

I'd love to hear from single men what their particular challenges are (one o fthem for all of us is nobody to go get us something when we're driving...we gotta pull off and get it ourselves. :(

And I'd love to hear from couples what it's like RVing as a couple that would be very different from what I've posted.

Do I make sense here?

Viva La Difference
Trish
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

As another solo...single...female choosing to continue RVing after spouse is gone....I can only say...Amen Trish...thanks for posting ... and yes, I've faced similar circumstances which can be extremely frustrating...but ya know what? Sometimes it can work in your favor..... most 'men' dealing in a service I need for my BF, have been patient, helpful & tried to give me factual infor. that I could understand....my good experiences have out-weighed the bad....Besides...I really like the male species...not to take home mind you...just to have as friends & talk to....
Now the women I've run into at some of the parks I've been at....that's another story.... :roll:
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

We have not been confronted with the "where's your husband" thing RE: our Born Free. Ken does take care of the maintenance and "outside" as you described of most couples. However, I do all the research RE: what needs to be done . . . then tell Ken to get it done.

Maybe it's because of our 20 years of military experience that forced me to learn to be, uh, assertive to make sure someone didn't take advantage of me, and ultimately, our family. After all, Ken was trusting me to "keep the home fires burning" when he was 3,000 miles away for months at a time. And he never expected me to become less assertive when he was home, and he always respected my learned wisdom.

We have had problems with a couple of auto "servicemen" though. A very expensive car that we once owned was such a lemon that it should have had Sunkist painted on its side. I was the main driver and spent almost as much time at the service dept. as at home. One of those service dept. times, Ken was with me. The "serviceman" kept asking questions of Ken, and I would answer him. He never looked at me, even though I had all the answers. Finally, Ken spoke up and said, "If you want to know what's wrong with the car, then you better talk with my wife and listen to what she's saying." The "serviceman" was almost crushed, but Ken hoped that he learned a lesson. I doubted it, myself. (By the way, we finally got rid of that lemon car, which now is a collector's item).

As for other women who ask you the question RE: RVing alone, there could be a few reasons. Maybe they've been told by their husbands that some things are too complicated for women . . . and they believe it. Maybe you are a threat, because they've told their husbands that it's too complicated for a woman. Or maybe they're just jealous that you're a stronger woman than they are . . . not understanding that you have to be stronger.

Me personally? I'm jealous and very impressed!! :)

So Trisha, the dummies are out there, but don't let them get you down. You cannot control their behavior, but you can control your behavior. Stand tall and walk tall. You can be assertive and still be a lady, and most will respect you for it.

Barbara
Barbara & Ken
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Thanks Barbara, and lol Charlotte.

Ya know, sometimes I think I just need a little cheese with my whine. I get *tired* of having to do everything. Not so tired that I have gone out and found another husband, though....

But ya know, sometimes being strong isn't all it's cracked up to be, no matter your gender. All you folks who are looked up to as strong know exactly what I'm talking about.

the rest of the time, I'll just stay the way I am.

I did remember one time watching, while two women sat at a picnic table doing absolutely nothing, while the man ran around, hooking things up and unhitching, and all this and I was stunned that they just sat and watched like there wasn't a thing they could do (like maybe unhook the cable tv or unplug and roll up the cord?)

but maybe he doesn't like it or maybe she's got a heart condition, who knows? It just looked really weird to me. But it couldda been something I knew nothing about. I like team playing a little better than that, though.

I'll take a break and shut up now so I can eat my cheese and drink that whine. :)

Trish
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Hey Trish....Try the 'wine' and forget the 'whine'...It's a good 'new' topic & Barb had a really neat reply....You have to remember that the major portion of the members of this club are married and only a small majority of us are single RVers...so I'm sure that a lot of gals appreciate that their spouses/significant others do the majority of the work....I'm sure there are a good number that probably do a lot of setting up etc. also. Those of us that solo RV (especially gals like us) have chosen to do so, as the alternative is simply not to RV at all...I've been 'camping' most of my life since my kids were born & love it...so I didn't want to give it up just because I was alone...Soooo...when I have those occasional 'pity me parties'....I remind myself that I chose to travel, I chose to buy an RV & I chose to take on the problems that come along with that package, but I also choose to remind myself to be thankful that I'm healthy enough to do it all...
Finally...I've not met a gal that is as 'sharp' as you are & I respect & envy you that...You've posted more technical stuff than I could ever dream of & often don't know a thing about...
You're an inspiration to many of us... so like I said...Have a glass of 'wine' and I'll see ya in Iowa...(By the way...just got 'Baby' back all shiny and new looking...buffed and waxed...So of course it's gonna rain here.....
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Trisha wrote: But ya know, sometimes being strong isn't all it's cracked up to be, no matter your gender. All you folks who are looked up to as strong know exactly what I'm talking about. Trish

Boy, ain't that the truth!!! I'm reminded of that saying, "God sends us only what we can handle." I'm a very devout person, but I always respond with, "Lord, I really wish you didn't have such a high regard for my ability to cope!"

For instance: A week ago I had an "argument with a concrete walkway," breaking my right collar bone and "mashing" the right side of my face. (And we were just minutes from leaving on a weekend BF trip, which was cancelled after the travel time was spent at the emergency room.) Right now, my right arm is in a sling and I have the biggest, ugliest black eye ever. But I am coping, doing everything with my left hand/arm . . . so please forgive my typos.

So, we ladies have to stay strong. But it can be difficult. And there's nothing wrong with a little whine and cheese sometimes. :)

Barbara
Barbara & Ken
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

I have no doubt that sexism is alive and well in the RVing world just like it is everywhere, but I think there is a bigger factor behind much of the frustration you mentioned in your post. It relates to the individual choices you and I make and not directly to our *radio edit*. For example, although I am married, my wife is disabled by cancer and the side effects of two years of chemotherapy and unable to help with most of the physical tasks relating to RVing. I do virtually all of the inside and outside work myself, including cleaning toilets. It is a choice I make....and I thank the Lord every day that I can do it and share this time with her.

Last Friday we left the clinic where she had her weekly chemotherapy IV and traveled to a rally with our FMCA group for the weekend where we incidentally are the smallest coach in the group by far. We had dinner with a lady who had been RVing for years with her husband in a big 38' Class A. When he died suddenly two years ago, she decided to continue RVing and learned the things she didn't know. Last weekend she was on her way home from 7 months on the road driving her Class A and towing a toad. It was a choice she made and she loves it and is just glad she has the financial and physical ability to continue doing it.

As far as being technical, much of that is a choice too. I served 30 years in the military with many fine officers and petty officers who happened to be female or who happened to be black or who happened to be Filipino or caucasian or.... I don't believe for a moment that mechanical aptitude is related to ones *radio edit* any more than cooking is. In my opinion the people you cite that seem to believe that are dinosaurs and will soon become extinct. Life is too short to worry about dinosaurs.

One last point. I didn't get to understand mechanical things because of my *radio edit*. I made a choice to learn so I sat down on the ground and slid under my car and greased the ball joints and changed the oil and fixed the brakes and somehow figured out how things work. It was a choice I made. The mechanic eventually listens to me....in my humble opinion if you can find a mechanic that listens to anyone that is a good thing.....because I know what I'm talking about and persist. If he doesn't listen then I make a choice to spend my money elsewhere. My wife is a quilter and I recently took her fancy sewing machine in for service. I didn't have a clue what they were talking about technically as I had made a choice to leave that to the "extended warranty" serviceperson. It wasn't related to *radio edit*, just interest.

Please don't get me wrong. My point in all this isn't to put anyone down but rather to point out that we make a choice to go RVing under whatever circumstances we live within. Everybodys circumstances aren't the same and everybody isn't going to be the same just because we own similar RVs. That's life and a choice we make. I for one don't resent that my circumstances are different and more difficult than others. Instead I consider myself supremely blessed to be able to share this hobby with someone I love, under our own set of circumstances.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

What it all amounts to is that there are SO MANY differnt kinds of people out here enjoying this lifestyle and each of us finds our own way to meet the requirements, or change the requirements, as the case may be :)

It will be really great to meet more of you on the road. I am sorry about the sidewalk fight there, Barbara, but your description of it made me chuckle (forgive me). And I'm really sorry about your Jan's struggle and I hope she wins hands down.

I have MS myself and some days, I pull in somewhere and I don't want to do a thing. Put out the what? Right. Pull out the couch and crash. <g> Take something to make the muscles stop spazzing.

All that said, i gotta say, if I had to go back now, and choose this route, inconveniences and delights combined, against living a 'normal life' and working 60 hours a week and maybe being healthy enough in 25 years to see what I missed...I will take this route. Can't say I'm unhappy with the way things have worked out.

Going for a glass of lemonde....bbbl
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Trisha wrote: It will be really great to meet more of you on the road. I am sorry about the sidewalk fight there, Barbara, but your description of it made me chuckle (forgive me). l
Nothing to forgive, Trish. I'm glad it made you chuckle. I actually feel pity for my friends when they see me, because it seems to be more painful for them. They gasp and ask "What happened?" So, I try to help them feel better by making a joke. Can't change it, so we might as well laugh about it.

Wow!! YOU ARE A REALLY STRONG PERSON!! Hang in there and enjoy your choices.

Dave, both you and Jan are blessed to be with each other. True love is beautiful.
Barbara & Ken
marcia

Post by marcia »

Hey Trish, I too am a single Born Free Lady. I have traveled from Florida to British Columbia and back FLY FISHING for the past four years. I am on the road for about 6 months each year. I am 69 years old.
Yep every one asks me the same questions i just reply nicely that I do it myself ,but if I need help with any of the heavy stuff or a jar lid to unscrew I would love to borrow your husband.Help..damsel in distress...
There are actually some advantages to being alone:
I can go where I want and leave when I want. I get all the good fishing spots myself.
I think I meet a lot more people when I am single. Many married folks and fly fishers are great . I am often included in their dinners and their activities. When I do things on the coach I know it is done the correct way ,the buck stops with me, no blaming someone else. It gives me a sense of freedom and responsibility for myself ,hey I can do this...Yes I'd love to have a partner, but until I do I try to look at the positives. Besides all those other women look so helpless to me .They are missing the satisfaction of accomplishment and new challenges.
Hey..until I find someone,the toilet seat does stay down.
I don't think the guys know much more about stuff than we do. Often I think that they just can't admit it. I am just lucky that I can be out there and do what I can to enjoy. Maybe we girls could get together . Send me an e-mail . I fish all over and boon dock most of the time. I have met so many great peoople and always have room for more . Marcia
email thefishinglady@bellsouth.net
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Wow, I forgot I even started this thread! But glad you added to it. I will send you an email.

Can't do much rv'ing right now until the experts at the factory figure out how the liquid gets into the rig under the cabinets... they're tearing their hair out and I haven't seen my coach in a couple of months.

I'll hve to tap you to teach me to fly-fish. :)
Brent

Post by Brent »

Marcia,
I saw your post, I enjoy fly fishing - but I don't get to go too much as I still work. I'm in Florida too, Tampa. I would like to discuss some of your fishing trips with you, if you don't mind. If you have time sometime please drop me an e mail. Thanks - Brent

My email is - aspivens@aol.com
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Randy Wilson

Post by Randy Wilson »

Trisha,

I don't know if this will help you find your leak, but we had a lot of water accumulate in our carpet on the driver side from under the sink. I found the source to be a small hole in the water filler hose (from filler outside into top of fresh water tank) caused by rubbing on a corner on the back side of a cabinet during our first long trip. It only leaked while filling the tank or when underway with a full or nearly full tank. Fortunately, no real damage since I found it pretty soon and the Born Free floors are encapsulated with fiberglass.
robin

Post by robin »

I so admire all of you women who venture out on your own. I'm hoping to drive cross country next summer to visit my Mother in central New York. I can't stay with her, but she has a huge driveway for me to park the BF! I'm mechanically challenged but have been trying to do things on the rig while my husband looks on, so I can get the hang of it. The driving is the easy part as we have a Built for two and I can park it and drive it pretty much anywhere. It's also encouraging to hear that some of you have physical challenges and you're still out there exploring!
You're all my heroes!
Robin
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Randy, your post might help. I'll have to check into that. I rarely travel with a full tank, usually about 2/3...seems I use that top 1/3 very quickly. But I did at one time think it might be that.

They are having such a heck of a time trying to figure it out, especially since Arizona, New Mxico and Texas are getting all our snow so we can't drive it in wet conditions. It just hasn't rained or snowed! So....

I will suggest this to the factory tomorrow. I'm sure they are just as frustrated (maybe more) than I am. They don't want to put new wood in until they can be sure it will be the last time. Don't blame them. I'd do the same. So we all wait patiently for the California-like weather here in Iowa and MN to provide us a troubleshooting op. Never thought I'd see the day.

I hope it's something more simple and we can get a move on...I can't make any plans like this. I'm in limbo with it. And it's not their fault, I know they're doing all they can. They even exercise the genset for me! LOL

So........the saga continues as a mystery. And I haven't committed to anything becasue I don't know if I'll have a rig.

Trish

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”