New 2004 24RB owner with questions

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

gabriels

New 2004 24RB owner with questions

Post by gabriels »

I appreciate all the contributions to this forum, some of which ultimately helped me select the unit I brought home from Lazydays yesterday. After 1100 miles in a single long day, I am very happy with my choice.

However....could someone please help me with a couple of questions.

1. I cannot get power in my two 110v outlets for the TV's (one next to the fridge and the other in the cabover storage space). What am I missing?

2. Can I add seat belts for the incline couches? I saw some forum entries that the factory has done this, but is it simple to do by myself?

I look forward to contributing to the forum, and thank you in advance for your help.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Do you have power in the other AC outlets? In the converter panel there
are AC circuit breakers...make sure they're all on.
1999 24RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Jim,

You don't indicate if your other 120 vac outlets are missing power or not but if they are I would then suspect a blown ac circuit breaker in your Parallax power panel. Drop done the upper lid to your power panel and check both the 30-amp incoming power breaker and also the single breaker powering all 120 vac outlets in your coach in parallel.

Concerning seat belts for your incline couches, look under the beds as your coach may have been equipped with the belts but the previous owner may have decided not to use them and tucked them under each couch. Otherwise adding the belts should not be too hard but it would help to be able to look at another BF coach to see exactly how to do it.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
gabriels

thanks for your replies, and an update

Post by gabriels »

Regarding the two TV outlets, yes, I have power at all the other outlets in the coach. I did find a Cobra inverter under the sink, which is apparently inoperative. I am now assuming that the two TV ouitlets were powered from the inverter. I cannot find where it gets its power, but I am working on it. (Yes, it is turned on!)

Regarding the seatbelts, there are none at this time. Could someone who has done this please let me know how it is done. Do you drill through the floor and then bolt/nut? Or do you lag to the floor, and if so, with what length lag bolt?

Thanks again.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Jim,

Your inoperative inverter is the problem. I would assume that the inverter would get its power from direct wiring to your house batteries. There should be a circuit breaker somewhere in that +12 vdc connection that you should check.

The seat belts for both right side captain's chairs and the left side Flexsteel sofa in my coach are bolted down thru the floor.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dean Gradwell

Post by Dean Gradwell »

On my 24RB the Cobra inverter had a small rocker switch on the top side. Very hard to see. I turned it on when watching TV otherwise left it off.
Dean
2013 Triumph
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

You probably need a new inverter. We are on our third inverter in our 2004 RSB. Try running extension cords to bypass the inverter outlets and you will know for sure. Good luck!
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
stevek

Post by stevek »

You consider minimizing your need for an inverter, if and when you replace it.
I have a small pure sine inverter, but seldom use it.
Most of the things I use are 12 VDC.
Like TV, DVD, Laptop Computer, LED reading lights, Fan, etc.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
gabriels

inverter issues

Post by gabriels »

I do have a bad inverter. The old one shorted out the fuse even when it was turned off.

Thanks for all the help.
cmeadows

inverter issues

Post by cmeadows »

Jim,

Being only a county away, we are neighbors in the Born Free community. I hope you are enjoying your Born Free coach.

When I wired our 1000w inverter, I searched for some ideas on circuit switching. The primary issue is with AC induction motors. Basically, if there is anything rotating on AC current, it is best to incorporate a time delay between switching AC power sources to prevent the blue smoke from leaking out. Blue smoke is valuable and should not be released. I can’t claim ownership of the blue smoke humor. Below is a link to the original.

http://yarchive.net/car/rv/inverter_switching.html

I left our inverter isolated from the coach’s electrical system. We use the inverter primarily to power electronic devices.

Chuck
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

I wonder how the 120 VAC TV outlets were separated from the rest and how they were wired to the non operative inverter. In my previously owned BF as well as the current one all outlets are powered from ONE single circuit breaker?

When traveling or dry camping I use this for powering all outlets with 120 VAC.

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... php?t=2140
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
gabriels

Inverter update

Post by gabriels »

The Cobra 400w inverter appeared to be faulty, because it blew fuses when turned on. So I got a new one, which did exactly the same thing.

Now I discover that the orignal inverter is good....something must be faulty in the wiring, all of which appears to be done by the factory. None of this is shown on the schematics in the manual. The AC side of the inverter is romex wiring with a standard grounded 3 prong plug, which goes to the two outlets referenced at the start of this thread. When I plugged that into an extension cord from the house, the outlets worked fine.

This seems so simple, but I am puzzled enough, so that I am planning on getting some professional help to fix it.
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

Now I discover that the orignal inverter is good....something must be faulty in the wiring, all of which appears to be done by the factory.
gabriels

I doubt very much that the romex wiring is from the factory. Most likely, it was done by the previous owner. The fuse blowing (which fuse exactly - inverter (AC or DC side), DC panel or else), in my opinion, is due to the collision of two power sources (shore power and the inverter). Try shore power with UNPLUGGED inverter - check all receptacles and then try inverter power ONLY with disconnected shore power. I believe it will all be OK.

Let us know the results.
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Oliver, the only problem with that solution is that in our 2004 RSB the inverter has to be on when connected to shore power for the receptacles to work. That was wired by the factory. To use the tv without the inverter while connected to shore power requires extension cords to other receptacles. I think there may well be a wiring issue as we are on our third inverter and it is starting to have static.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

I think there may well be a wiring issue as we are on our third inverter and it is starting to have static.
Now we have another problem - static and wiring issue.

I think it is about time, somebody from the factory to publish the actual wiring diagram for 2004 RSB and to help troubleshooting the mysteries.
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”