Where to mount CB Antenna

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Trisha

Where to mount CB Antenna

Post by Trisha »

Are the ones that mount on the glass as effective as the tall 'whips?"
I see there are antennas made specifically for fiberglass bodies (non grounded). But my radio needs a dual band antenna (weather radio too) and was wondering if there is a specific kind that others have had good luck with.

Where doyou mount one?

Trish
whemme

Born Free CB Antenna Mounting

Post by whemme »

Trish,

I don't know if this antenna will work well on the weather band frequencies or not but just thought I would show you what has worked for me since 1999 for a CB unit in the cab.

Below is a photo of where I mounted a CB antenna on the left side front metal fender on both my prior 1999 BF 24' RB and current 2002 BF 26' RSB coaches.

This is a ball mount type antenna using a 4' long fiber glass whip. It requires cutting approximately a 1" round hole and 3 smaller 3/16" hardware mounting holes in the left front metal fender in the area shown in the photo. Both the mount and the antenna are available from Radio Shack.

If you temporarily move your plastic radiator overflow reservoir, you can access the inside area of this fender to mount the antenna and to hookup your RG-58A/U coax cable between the antenna base and the RF connector on the back of your CB radio. I drilled a 1/4" hole thru the firewall down near the steering shaft area to pass the coax thru the firewall.
Attachments
Photo of location to mount CB antenna on the side of the left front metal fender.
Photo of location to mount CB antenna on the side of the left front metal fender.
Born Free CB Antenna.jpeg (32.45 KiB) Viewed 26419 times
Last edited by whemme on Fri May 19, 2006 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

You know, that reminds me of another question. It gets really hot in that engine compartment. Have you ever wondered how that affected wiring that you added (or had added) that ran through the area? Do you do anything extra to sheild them from the heat.

Got to thinking about that when they wired the braking mechanism and noticed where the wires ran and just how hot it gets there. Has anyone had any experince with wiring overheating?

Back to the antenna...I guess it's got to be a dual something antenna to do the best job. I have the right verbage where I need it when I go shopping. Was going to do some research on the web first. Like your location. It doesn't ever hit the coach up higher does it?

me
whemme

Born Free CB Antenna Installation

Post by whemme »

All I can say is that the only wiring for this antenna in the engine compartment is the RG-58A/U coax cable and so far in 7 years I have not had any heat damage to it. Of, course you would not want to run the coax near the engine, especially the exhaust manifold area.

Below is additional information on the two major Radio Shack components used and a website link for both.

Adjustable 48" Fiberglass Whip Element for CB Antenna - $17.99

Catalog #: 21-974

http://tinyurl.com/e9rvl

Mobile CB Antenna Ball Mount Base - $15.49

Catalog #: 21-1115

http://tinyurl.com/kakjy

Also below are two additional photos showing that the antenna is no where near touching the cab overhead - but you can't really see that in my first quarter angle view photo.
Attachments
View of CB Antenna Installation from the Front
View of CB Antenna Installation from the Front
BF CB Antenna - front view .jpg (26.2 KiB) Viewed 26396 times
View of CB Antenna Installation from the Side
View of CB Antenna Installation from the Side
BF CB Antenna - side view .jpg (27.6 KiB) Viewed 26396 times
Last edited by whemme on Wed May 24, 2006 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Bill Ruh

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi Trisha,

Two thoughts on the cb antenna.

1. Bill's right, some of the better cb antennas (e.g. wilson) are specifically tuned for cb frequencies and aren't so good for weather, so we use a separate weather radio and antenna. I made a dipole weather antenna tuned to the weather frequency (468/162.4 = 2.88' = 34.6") from speaker wire, which works pretty well.

2. It's important to us to avoid adding height, as we occasionally end up in low-clearance situations.

Our motorhome's former owner added a magnetic mount cb antenna (wilson 1000) placed on the metal between the hood and windshield. It angles a bit to avoid the cabover. It's been good enough, but it's not as nice as any of the permanent-mounts I've seen Bill and other do.
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

As with everything RV there is always different options.

Having lived thru the 70s I'm happy to no longer have a CB :) however I can see the value to caravaning. I always thought we'd get a handheld for that situation and keep it in the closet for the other 99.99% of the time.

So Trish, how do you intend to uses your CB? Do you wish to go thru the expense of a permanenet installation? ...do you wish to optimize CB performance or maintain the clean looks of your Born Free? (Cutting holes in your cowling seems pretty extreme to me.)

I found a compromise antenna:
http://tinyurl.com/gbdvv

Since it has been so long since I've been involved with CBs I'd have to ask for some internet wisdom regarding the performance of these. I noticed it is tunable for SWRs - that's a good thing. And it would replace your Ford antenna keeping your esthetics.

Also, I'd have to question the performance of Bill's set-up. Given the antenna's location, I'd expect the the best radiation pattern to be off the right rear of the Born Free. Just hypothetically musing, I'd suggest mounting a 108" whip on the right rear bumper.

Another possibility would be to glue a plate to the roof in a strategic location and use a magnetic mount antenna - only when I needed a CB which would be rarely for me.

Just food for thought.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Mike and all...

My main CB experience is ....ok, i'm gonna divulge some secret history here... back when I was hitching across the country in the Big Rig trucks and everyone had one. Yeah, I was a bit 'wild' as a child...that's a different story.

I am going on the Alaska Born Free caravan in July and they do more than strongly recommend a cb. To be honest, I always enjoyed using mine if I was travelling in a group.

So, I'm going where it's nearly required, and I wanted one anyway. and it doubles as a weather radio. Yes, I'll care how well it gets out. I was thinking first of trying to install it on the rear view mirror but I dont' see how to do that in the arm and I don't want to mess with the electronics in the mirror. So I've changed my mind.

I do want a permenant mount, I believe.

I like what you did Bill Hemme, except does it make it a bit 'directional' to have it mounted on the side like that?

The reason for not putting one on the back is the same...directionality (plus long wiring for cable) plus it will hit the back of the rig and I don't want that either.

I bought the radio at Radio Shack. It's not a cheapo. i bought a good one. The whip you have Bill Hemme is the one I got, but I'm not sure it's the one I want. It's for fiberglass hull installation (no grounding) but I can see you got around that where you installed it by putting it into the metal are of the cab.

Gotta run for the moment.....
whemme

CB Antenna Installation

Post by whemme »

Trish,

A CB antenna installation on any vehicle is always going to involve some sort of a compromise. As a former owner of an aircraft radio installation and repair shop, I know the importance of having some sort of a metal ground plane to mount a vertical whip antenna to.

The ideal situation would be to mount a full 1/4 wavelength (102" tall) vertical whip to a horizontally mounted metal round ground plane that has a radius (not diameter, but radius!) also of 102". Obviously, that can't be done in a vehicle even one as large as a motorhome. Anything less is a compromise and will reduce performance.

I chose to use a shortened 4" fiberglass whip that is constructed as a continuous loading coil tuned to the CB frequency band and mounted to the metal fender to provide some semblance of a mounting ground plane. It was the best compromise that I could figure out for my unit. Mike (and Trish) are correct in that my mounting location may cause the antenna to be directional, but again as I said, mounted one of these antennas on a vehicle involves compromises.

My best guess is that the range up and down the interstate system that I can talk to other motorcoaches and truckers is approximately 5 miles. Remember that the CB frequencies are very crowded along the interstates and the actual range is further but you will generally be limited to a 5 mile range because of all the interference from others on the same channel. And that range is OK performance for me because my main interest is using the CB to communicate with other motorcoaches within a caravan. I also use it to monitor the trucker channel when I am interested in road and weather conditions ahead. It is surprising the information you can gain just by listening to the trucker chatter.

It is also surprising to have to listen to all the filth on that channel. I generally don't use the CB most of time during my Born Free travels because of all the filth and swearing going on on the CB bands. The penalty for doing this is supposedly a $10,000 fine but the FCC has long ago given up trying to police, regulate and/or control the CB band.

I use it only when I really need it, but have the darn thing shut off most of the rest of the time and listen instead to XM radio or a CD book on tape!

Bill Hemme
Last edited by whemme on Sun May 21, 2006 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
norijake

Post by norijake »

Our coach came with a CB antenna installed on the driver's side of the cabover. The coach is at our storage facility now but we plan to bring it here tomorrow or the next day depending upon when I finish repositioning a few water sprinkler heads. I'll try to get a couple of pix for you to use as another option. The install is clean and neat. I do remember seeing the name Tiger on the antenna, the CB does have the Wx bands and reception is very good, at least on the Wx bands. I haven't used the CB so I can't report on that. I spent a good portion of my life with a VHF, UHF or HF blaring away in my ear(s), so I rather like the peace and quiet of soothing XM music or nothing at all. However, I can see the use of a properly operating CB radio aboard.
2004 26' RB
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Well, after reading and educating myself a little, I think I'm going to do exactly what Bill Hemme has done. For the same reasons. The ground plane. And the continuous load antenna would make it better than a bottom load when mounted there (eliminate at least some directionality).

I'll tune it after I install it. Now that I know what Ineed, I can go get it, get brave...(ugh)...you know how bad I DON'T want to drill into the coach?

Bill, 102" radius ground plane is what's called for, eh? wow! Nobody's got that. That's why all the coiled whips.

did you have do to any additional grounding via groundstraps or is that location all the grounding you need?

Your applications, bill, and mine are nearly identical. 5 miles will be satisfactory. And no, I have no idea how they manage to have so much filth on there...ummm...but it won't be the first time I've heard it. Just won't swim in it or anything.

What did you use for a drill bit to drill into your 'hull'?

Thanks for all the ideas. After that, i'll mount it so I can do a little SWR tuning. The radio has a meter and I'm not shooting for perfect, just working.

Thanks again,
Trish
whemme

CB Antenna Installation

Post by whemme »

Trish,

I will try to answer your questions as best I can about my particular installation. Too bad your are not coming to the Iowa Rally in Ft. Dodge, IA - you could visually inspect my installation there.

No additional grounding by ground straps are necessary. The ball mount thru the metal fender provides a good ground. The shield of the RG-58A/U coax for the termination at the ball mountend goes to one of the 3 ball mounting screws, nuts, and lock washers inside the fender to provide a good ground termination there.

The Radio Shack ball mount will come with a paper template so that you can make the necessary holes in the fender. The three 3/16" holes around the 1.0" diameter hole is for the mounting hardware for the ball mount and the 1.0" hole in the center is for the RG-58A/U coax center conductor termination via a crimp-on or solder-on terminal to the whip antenna.

Since I was the past owner of an aircraft radio shop here in Spencer it was easy for me to acquire a recommended tool to make that 1.0" diameter hole - the 3/16" diameter holes can be done just with an electric drill. I would recommend the 1.0" hole be made with a Greenlee 1.0" round chassis punch. The Greenlee P/N for this punch is 730BB-1 and can be purchased from a couple of different places. The other possibility is to use a 1.0" diameter hole saw but the Greenlee punch (or equivalent) will make a cleaner hole.

Newark Electronics has the 730BB-1 punch available for $49.10. Their website link page for this item follows: http://tinyurl.com/eo7ur

Allied Electronics has the 730BB-1 punch available for $41.67. Their website link page for this item follows: http://tinyurl.com/fynvw

Since you probably will only need to use this punch once, it seems wastefull to have to purchase one at that cost. Maybe you will want to go to a commercial two-way radio shop and just have them do this antenna installation for you - no need to buy this punch then.
Last edited by whemme on Mon May 22, 2006 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
norijake

Post by norijake »

Trisha,

I see that you may have already decided to go with mounting your CB/Wx band antenna on the side of your fender. In case you might want another option to consider, here is a pic of how ours is mounted. The antenna is made by Evehardt – here is their ad hype: “
Marvel Communications Company, Inc, home of Everhardt “TIGERâ€
Attachments
image0.jpg
image0.jpg (23.44 KiB) Viewed 26211 times
MH Interior Left.jpg
MH Interior Left.jpg (38.04 KiB) Viewed 26211 times
2004 26' RB
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Wow, norjake (you didn't sign with a normal name...don't know how to address you)...I like that installation.

And I have 2 questions for you:
1) what year is that rig? b) Is that an aftermarket slimline console? (or are you a brand new rig) and
2) if it's new, is the factory making those bolsters again? (but the blue interior suggests not new...pre-2005 actually). If it is pre-2005 you have a beautifully maintained rig. And I suppose that antenna wiring was done by Tiger or their representative?

Okay that turned out to be like 5 questions. Sorry.

Bill Hemme, I will be at the factory Birthday. Just not at the pre-rally rally. Too much to do getting ready for Alaska.
Brent

Post by Brent »

I've used a CB for several years, wouldn't be without one.

It took about 3 trys to get it where it worked well. I consistently get out about 2-3 miles and more occassionaly.

The "no ground plane" didn't work well for me at all. I have an inexpensive Francis antenna mounted to the rear ladder at the top. The antenna is a 4' fiberglass. It does restrict my height (about 12.5') so I only use it on the open highway.

The wire runs down the ladder up under the body and up in the cab with other wiring under the seat. NO HOLES WERE DRILLED in the coach!

The radio is the smallest Uniden. No weather stations.

I regularly have it tested and everyone is always surprised how well it does.

I tried the no ground plane, mountings on the side, better antennas on the ladder, etc. Most got out about a half mile to a mile. I'm really not sure why this one works so well, not being a "no ground plane".
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Well, Sam, you can show me when we're all in Iowa, if you're going. I'll be at the main rally, but not the prerally. I live close enough and drive through Iowa enough that well, it's a bit like going over to the neighbor's again and not very exciting anymore <g> and I have WAY much to do... so I'll be at the birthday rally.

The lack of a ground plan does concern me. A friend who's a ham operator gave me a good bit of explanation, and basically, the ground plane is a big factor.

That said, these big rigs are doing fiberglass mounts all the time and the seem to be able to get by without it somehow. I have no idea how.

I am going to a radio place later (it's a ham hangout). So I bet I'll learn more than I ever wanted to know...fine with me.

Trish

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”