Where to mount CB Antenna

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

whemme

CB Antenna Installation

Post by whemme »

Trish,

I am a past ham radio operator myself but I admit, I don't know how those no ground plane antennas work as well as they do. I just decided that I wanted a metal ground plane mounted antenna myself.

Don't forget the other consideration evident in norjake's antenna system and that is that particular antenna appears to extend above the top of the cabover a significant distance. Of course, you want the antenna to be as high as possible for the best performance but not so high that it causes clearance problems going into such places as truck washes and storage buildings. The believe the standard height of a Born Free coach is approximately 10' 8" (128") without an antenna sticking out higher than that.

NOTE: Revised incorrect 8' 10" height above to correct 10' 8" height! Sorry for my mistake Bill Ruh.
Last edited by whemme on Tue May 23, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
norijake

Post by norijake »

No problem with the questions, Trisha. Nori is my wife’s nickname and I’m Jake.

Our Born Free is titled as a 2004 but the VIN indicates a 2003 chassis. The unit was built in mid-2003 and delivered to the original owner in July 2003. We found it for sale on this BB, drove over to the other side of FL from where we live to see it and ended up buying it that day. The owners had decided to stop RVing after 40+ years in the activity. They had pampered this coach and it was just what we were looking for.

Both my wife and I really like the interior color. It is actually Eucalyptus, a pale green; blends very nicely with the cherry wood cabinets and floor. The owners were very knowledgeable RVers and had added many options (hydraulic levelers, inverter, CB, slim-line console, etc) and all had been done in a professional manner.

The console is an after-market item that the PO added after seeing one in another BF. So far the only thing we’ve done is added a higher pressure water pump and my wife is making new curtains because she didn’t like the color of the original ones.

The additional height of the antenna has already presented itself as a minor problem. Pulling into my son’s home, there was a low strung wire that I wasn’t sure we’d clear. I can easily reach the antenna from the running board so it was a 10 second job to remove it. Still, it is something else to “rememberâ€
2004 26' RB
Bill Ruh

CB Antenna Installation

Post by Bill Ruh »

standard height of a Born Free coach is approximately 8' 10" (106") without an antenna sticking out higher than that.
Born Frees are 10' (120") plus or minus several inches, depending on the year. Perhaps they're lower if you don't have a cabover or air conditioner, but I haven't ever seen one like that.

Jake's cb antenna is much nicer than ours, but the extra height wouldn't work for us. Too many low bridges...
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I did wonder about the height.

We should do a thread about the jams or close calls we've gotten in on height. It could be funny (in retrospect.) i may start one.

I found out while washing and waxing today that I have a very light scratch from a treebranch I think. It's not even into the gelcoat. I'm hoping I can buff it out.

What are my chances of being able to stand on the 3rd of 4th run of the ladder with a 6" buffer and stay on the ladder? (It is a *sturdy/good ladder).

I also found a few cracks (spider like) on the top of my coach. Not happy there. And one chip by the moulding above one window that I suspect is hail damage. I guess they had a lot of hail in Forest Lake where my rig is parked day before yesterday. I was unaware of it because it did not hail here. But we found it while washing. I guess that's another thing for the list.

I really love that color. wish they'd bring it back. Beautiful Fresh.

Trish
Bill Ruh

limits

Post by Bill Ruh »

To all,

If you don't know your motorhome height and weight, I suggest printing a label for your dashboard. If you travel in canada, include english and metric.

It would be a really bad idea to cross a 3-ton bridge or go under a 9' overpass...
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Bill Ruh,

I wondered about the height of the antenna instillation mentioned we were discussing in this thread, not my motorhome.

I'm sorry I muddled the context with suggesting funny stories about height. I suppose if you went over and read the post on the new thread I started, you would find that most people don't post the height of their dog-walk ropes across the driveways and that at 4 a.m. it would be kinda hard to see them.

It's not about hitting bridges with the standard height of the motorhome. Since this is a CB antenna thread, and we were discussing one that is mounting above roof level, in context (which I admit I created a rabbit trail away from) one is safe in assuming that we are still discussing the height of antenna installations. That is the 'height I wondered about." Not the 10'8" or (11') that I know my motorhome is.

but if you need a label on your dash to remind you not to hit low bridges, that's a great idea.

Patricia
Bill Ruh

Post by Bill Ruh »

The born free website lists the height of a 26-footer at 118" or 9'10". What's 10'8"?

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”