strange noise in engine compartment

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

robert newby

strange noise in engine compartment

Post by robert newby »

I just started to get a very loud sound that sounds like a cross of a loose V belt and a dry bearing -- it mainly comes on when going up a hill and is not consistant with speed or engine RPM -- the dealer said it was not the belt or idler pulley --has anyone else had this noise - mine is a diesel 2004 RB -- SLO Bob
Jon Pollei

Post by Jon Pollei »

Robert,

I have had a similar problem with my V10. I get a high pitched whistle and a roar it lasts 5 to 10 seconds. It is always on a grade. The Ford dealer can't find it or get it to duplicate. It occured more with fewer miles. I have 13500 miles and it is now less frequent.

MotorHome magazine had a article on this problem on a class A. They suggested it might be a vacum leak, or a faulty radiator cap.

Ford can't find a vacum leak and I tried a new radiator cap but neither worked. They also thought it might have to do with high elevations but mine occurs at 2000' to 11000' it makes no difference. They then suggested heat but mine happens at any temp.

They always try to tell you it is the fan coming on. But you and I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. My warranty is up and I still have it but I'm hoping it will stop with more miles. It happens every now and again just to let me know I'm still blessed with it.

The shop here had it on one other Class C.
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi -- Jon - my coach is now at the dealership and they now tell me it is a gasket problem in the exhaust system --- I'll let you know if they fix it when I pick it up -- thanks for your input -- BobN
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

I just received a call from the Ford dealer about my noise problem -- it wasn't the " easy to get to " gasket so they are going to check the other gasket -- it ONLY takes 9 hours of labor to change that gasket !!! -- Hope none of other diesel rigs has that problem -- I sure hope the factory guarantee covers the problem - at todays labor costs in California that will be a big bill -- has anyone else had this problem ?- what was the cost to fix and did it come under the warantee? -- Bob Newby
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

If it's under the 3 year 36,000 mile ford factory warranty, I'm pretty sure it should be covered.

Did you get a book from Ford with the rig? It should say....
CANDE

Post by CANDE »

We have a 1997 Born Free 24'RB with the 7.3 diesel engine with 175,000 miles on it. At 92,000 miles, the left-hand exhaust manifold leaked (warpped) - it was replaced by Ford under the 100,000 mile warranty and the smog warranty covered the entire bill. The bill broke down as follows: Parts $256.47, Labor $136.16, Total $392.63. They (Ford Agency in Buellton, CA) charged us $100 fee under the 100,000 mile warranty - than later they decided it was covered under the smog warranty and refunded our $100.00. This occurred 1 May 2000 so labor costs have gone up. If you have any further questions, our e-mail address is freye@bytehead.com

CANDE
Ed and Carol Freye
2016 Born Free 29' Splendor
Towing a 2014 Mini Cooper Coupe
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

I want to thank all of you for your input -- the Ford people checked the " easy to get two " gasket and said it wasn't that one so they are in the process of getting to the other one -- it just seems that 9 hours is a lot to exchange a gasket -- maybe they have to remove everything but the engine to get to it -- I'm still interested if anyone has had this problem with the new 6.0 diesel engine -- I also had to have the transmission changed in Canada while on a trip to Alaska last summer -- the mechanic joked and said that my chassis must have been made on " hang-over Monday " -- I'm begining to wonder if his joke might be a fact -- I'll get an update latter this afternoon and I'l post the lattest findings -- Bob
CANDE

Post by CANDE »

In today's Business Section of the newspapers, there is a short article that reads as follows: Ford Motor Co. may delay the rollout of its redesigned 2007 F-Series Super Duty pickup until January, a move that could reduce 2006 earnings, as analyst's report said. The vehicle were to goon sale in the fourth quarter and will be delayed because of problems with the trucks' 6-liter diesel enginer, said a Deutsche Bank analyst, citing news reports.

CANDE
Ed and Carol Freye
2016 Born Free 29' Splendor
Towing a 2014 Mini Cooper Coupe
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

thanks for the info Candy --- the lattest on my diesel is that they had to order additional parts and it won't be done till latter today --- I asked about the news article and was told that it is true -- turbo's are on a multi-month back order -- I guess all the hype about the new diesel was not true --- sure hope my unit is fixed before we have to leave for the home-comming rally as I sure don't want to show up in a Country Coach to a BornFree rally ---
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

just got my coach back -- it was the gasket near the turbo -- they had to remove everything from the engine block forward to get to it -- a great job was done at the Ford dealer in Atascadero, California -- also a switch in the trans was replaced -- glad to get my Born Free back -- we are now getting ready to go to the Home Comming rally --

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”