Off-the-beaten-path apps

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Off-the-beaten-path apps

Post by Dallas Baillio »

As I travel I see many intriguing signs along my routes for possible places to stop and site-see, maybe for only a few minutes, or just for fun. Not the major attractions but little off-the-beaten-path places. World's largest chicken statue, grave of Billy the Kid, etc.

I can search and probably find info on each one on the Internet but this isn't as good as an app similar to the All Stays camping guide -- a GPS that identifies and maps the ones nearest your route of travel and updates as you move.

I searched for apps that would meet my needs but found nothing. Any recommendations or search suggestions?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Hey Dallas,

At the factory rally I won a book playing bingo. The title happens to be "Off the Beaten Path" from Reader's Digest. The #1 spot for Iowa is "The Ice Cream Capital of the World" at Le Mars, 100 miles due west of Humboldt. You can buy on Amazon used for $4.00.

Quote from Amazon:
Explore America’s lesser-known travel treasures! This bestselling vacation planner offers innovative ideas for quick day trips and memorable vacations for travelers of every temperament, penchant, and budget. Organized alphabetically by state, the completely revised and updated travel guide boasts almost 200 new sites, nearly 400 stunning new photographs, and all-new, detailed road maps. It shows you where to go, how to get there, and what you need to know before you begin your adventure, with a wide variety of suggested trips, including:

- Climbing the top of an Indian burial mound in Ohio
- Strolling down America’s oldest street in New York City
- Navigating jumbled lava beds in Oregon
- Discovering New Hampshire’s castle in the clouds
- And more!
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Tom,

I have a second edition and have used it extensively. The edition you have may be even better than mine as it must have the "fun" places included. Mine is aimed more toward the educational and unusual.

If I can't find an app I'll search for websites.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Trix

Post by Trix »

Check out RoadsideAmerica.com.

They have an app for the Iphone and Ipad only so I haven't tried it. The website is good though. Use the state dropdown box on the upper right on the home page.
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
learning RV'g in my 2007 24' RB
2011 Subaru Forester toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”