How to use the inverter

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

ChuckM

How to use the inverter

Post by ChuckM »

Hi,

As a new owner, not having met the previous owner even once, (long story) how do I use the inverter?
My 110 plugs work with shore power, otherwise they don't.
So.....how do I get 110 on the road or parked? Thanks
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I don't have an inverter. Are you sure you do? Your 110 should work with the generator. Otherwise, everything not 110 is on 12V, e.g., your lights, refrigerator, fan, water pump, etc. Not your microwave/convection oven nor TV [unless it is 12V] nor 110 outlets.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Chuck,

First you should be able to run your 110 VAC appliances from your generator while on the road or dry camping. That is if your coach has a generator - you failed to tell us if your coach is equipped with one. All the lights in a Born Free are generally DC powered - not AC.

As far as how to run you inverter, it all depends on how is was wired into the system when it was installed. Several different possibilities as a result and it is hard to give you any guidance because of that.

Since you probably can't get any info on your inverter system from the previous owner you might try to figure out the system this way:

1) Turn on the inverter without being plugged into shoreline power and with your generator not running
2) Try to run any and all 110 vac appliances to see which ones will work
3) Unless you have a very large inverter (say 3000 watts or more) you can assume that the air-conditioner and microwave will not be powered from the inverter.
4) If the inverter is rated in the 200 to 1000 watt range, it probably is wired to run your TV system and possibly one other AC outlet so that you can run a small coffee pot or your electric shaver or chargers for you cell phone and/or a lap top computer.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Most RVs do not come with an inverter as standard equipment. Almost all RVs will have a converter that will power the 12 volt devices when plugged into shore power or when running on generator. Make sure that you indeed have an inverter, either a separate unit or a combination inverter/converter.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
bill crommett

inverters

Post by bill crommett »

Just remember that inverters put a sizable drain on you house batteries when being used. So don't get caught with dead batteries just before you really need them.
ChuckM

Post by ChuckM »

mockturtle wrote:I don't have an inverter. Are you sure you do? Your 110 should work with the generator. Otherwise, everything not 110 is on 12V, e.g., your lights, refrigerator, fan, water pump, etc. Not your microwave/convection oven nor TV [unless it is 12V] nor 110 outlets.
Ah. I guess I don't have one then. I didn't realize the Parallax system wasn't an inverter. I got it now. Thanks. My 1990 fridge is still working on all three sources. Assuming it's original.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”