getting started with new (old) RV

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Sam,

I surrender. You win. After all these years I should have learned to avoid challenging you.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Dallas... had to add my comment. I seldom read anything he posts anyway... so no challenge for me.... been on this website many, many years so experience over that time has turned into how I practice reading posts.... :wink:
Dude

Post by Dude »

Just something I wanted to point out......Don't you have to Park your RV before you can camp in it? So if you are camping in it you have parked it :P
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
Dude

Post by Dude »

***Back on track****

Larihack---- How was the visit with the mechanic? Did you get everything fixed? You said you are taking your RV on its first run to your son's graduation. Any other trips planned before then? It took me and my wife a couple of trips to get things organized in the RV. Where clothes go, where food and other stuff goes, etc. Also to work out the kings. My first trip out I broke the awning and the dump valve. Thankfully the valve broke after I dumped so I didn't have to deal with a full black tank. That would have been crappy :lol:
Matt
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Dude,

Your posting reminded me ... Our first trip in our first motorhome was in our driveway. We had created a list of everything we thought we would need and put it in the RV. Then we went out and used the RV for a day or two.

Oh, crap, we forgot that! No problem, we got it, put it in the RV and added it to the list. Repeat. By the time we started our first real trip, we pretty much had everything we needed. Our list is now up to nine triple-spaced pages!
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
shezonit

DUDE YOU ARE FUNNY!

Post by shezonit »

Oh yeah, if you're camping, you are parked.
Shilohdad, that's also funny about camping in the driveway and realizing what you forgot. NINE pages???

You are certainly sending these newcomers off with a laff!
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Yeah, nine pages. It is a very detailed list. For instance, we like to cook. One whole kitchen drawer is various spices (we do Chinese and Indian which use LOTS of odd spices). Each spice gets a line. Ditto every thing we put in the pantry. So, when you think of EVERY little thing you carry, it's a lot of stuff.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
larihack

Post by larihack »

This is sure a fun group to interact with and full of good information. Thanks so much!!
larihack

Post by larihack »

Dude wrote:***Back on track****

Larihack---- How was the visit with the mechanic? Did you get everything fixed? You said you are taking your RV on its first run to your son's graduation. Any other trips planned before then? It took me and my wife a couple of trips to get things organized in the RV. Where clothes go, where food and other stuff goes, etc. Also to work out the kings. My first trip out I broke the awning and the dump valve. Thankfully the valve broke after I dumped so I didn't have to deal with a full black tank. That would have been crappy :lol:
We haven't gotten Bertha back from her hospital stay yet. We had planned to take her out this week, but she was under the weather and now we won't have time to do so, so I think we will do the driveway campout scene. Luckily our first real trip will be more for transportation than camping so we can learn from that run.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

We use a 5 page double column check list. Some of the stuff stays in the MH between trips. Really beats getting on the road only to find you forgot something.
larihack

generator questions now!!

Post by larihack »

So we got Bertha back from the RV hospital with a clean bill of health, except the generator doesn't work. They found a sticker on the fuel filter that indicated the generator hadn't been serviced since 2008. It starts, runs a minute and then stops. It's an Onan with just a few hours (175?). Fix or get a new one? :cry: :cry:
Dude

Post by Dude »

I have the same issue with my genny. Starts, runs for a bit and stops. One of these days I'll get around to looking at it. For now I either plug in or run off the battery.

What type of camping will you be doing mostly? Hook-ups, dry camping, boondocking? Will you be dry camping for more than 4 days in a row? I can easily dry camp for 4 days no problems.
Matt
larihack

Post by larihack »

Dude wrote:I have the same issue with my genny. Starts, runs for a bit and stops. One of these days I'll get around to looking at it. For now I either plug in or run off the battery.

What type of camping will you be doing mostly? Hook-ups, dry camping, boondocking? Will you be dry camping for more than 4 days in a row? I can easily dry camp for 4 days no problems.
Well, I have no idea what kind of camping I do. I have never done RV camping! From what I understand tho there are a lot of things that need the generator and won't run off the battery? For our first trip I think we will stick to places we can plug in. Don't plan on TV. But may need A/C or fan.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

FIX. Doesn't sound serious, especially with such low hours. These gensets cost $4-5 grand to replace. Lots of places work on Onans, unlike Generac.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
daryl&mary

Post by daryl&mary »

Had the same problem. Camping World fixed for about $100. Definitely worth it.
Daryl & Mary
2006 BFT

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”