getting started with new (old) RV

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

larihack

getting started with new (old) RV

Post by larihack »

I am brand new to the RV world, having recently purchased a 2001 26'rsb with 75K miles on it. Love the rig, altho have found that the RV place we purchased it from was a little less than forthright regarding it's mechanical needs and it is going to the hospital for a week of treatments and fixes. I have so many questions I hardly know where to start, but here are a few:
What do you all do for shower curtains? Nothing I have found stays in the little shower and it has those itty bitty hooks to hang it from.
Do you put cargo in the cabover and if so how do you keep it in place?
Do you run with the fridge on?
Do you need to use special soaps and shampoos?
Any other info I need to know?
javascript:emoticon(':roll:')
whemme

Re: getting started with new (old) RV

Post by whemme »

larihack wrote:I am brand new to the RV world, having recently purchased a 2001 26'rsb with 75K miles on it. Love the rig, altho have found that the RV place we purchased it from was a little less than forthright regarding it's mechanical needs and it is going to the hospital for a week of treatments and fixes. I have so many questions I hardly know where to start, but here are a few:

What do you all do for shower curtains? Nothing I have found stays in the little shower and it has those itty bitty hooks to hang it from. I have the same model Born Free coach as you have and the standard shower curtain works fine for us. If your problem is that the curtain is getting old and ragged, call Kim Olson at the Born Free factory and have them ship you a new one.

Do you put cargo in the cabover and if so how do you keep it in place? My coach has the entertainment center so cargo is stored in front of the two doors. My previous 1999 24' Rear Bath coach had the cab over bed option and I did not have any problems with cargo moving around when placed on this bed.

Do you run with the fridge on? Yes, all the time

Do you need to use special soaps and shampoos? No

Any other info I need to know? You will probably have more questions after you travel in you Born Free for a while
javascript:emoticon(':roll:')
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dude

Post by Dude »

Welcome!!!

I haven't had any issues with my shower curtain so I can't help you there. I would think any shower curtain could work, you probably do have to cut it to the right size. I'm sure it is a custom fit.

Yes, I do put cargo in the cab bed. Usually sleeping bags, pillows, roll bags, soft stuff. I will flip the bed up while I am driving to keep stuff from falling/shifting.

I like to use body wash while I am camping. 1 bottle does it all and no dropping the soap.

Fridge on....Yep. Gotta keep the beer cold. I do shut it off when I am getting gas.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
larihack

thanks so much

Post by larihack »

Great info. Anything else you veteran RVers think I should know?
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

Our folding bikes ride in the cab over space in clear vinyl storage bags and haven't fallen off yet.

Another vote for body wash - no wet soap to deal with. We also use the nylon scrubbies - no wet wash cloth to deal with either.

Perhaps an extra long shower curtain would solve your shower problem.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Carefully read the manual. Go over every square inch inside and out. Remove drawers and open cabinet doors to trace plumbing, wiring, etc. it will take a while to familiarize yourself with all systems. I would also suggest you slide under your BF and find the air bags, holding tanks and be aware of all the underside components that are different from a car or truck. Use the search link above as your first place for answers to your questions.

You and I have the same year and model BF. PM (personal message) or email me and I will promptly answer. I can assure you that I am far from an expert in many areas but I have been RVing for more than 40 years.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Yes, we put cargo in the overcab area. Lots of stuff.

First, we never try to sleep there, so we removed the mattress. In our coach, this leaves that whole area carpeted. Many of the things we store there (pillows, Travasacks) are rough-surfaced enough that they don't move.

We also got two stacking plastic drawers in which we keep heavy stuff like extra canned goods, flour for baking, etc. Again, we have never had problems with their sliding, and the drawers sort of lock in place. Putting heavy stuff there rather than in some of the galley cabinets also helps take weight off the rear axle, which tends to run heavy.

Then there is our more esoteric but bulky stuff we put up there. Joe's small harp, Lucinda's spinning wheel and fiber for spinning. These things are in rough-surfaced carry-bags that grip the carpet and have never slid. Our computer printer lives behind the plastic drawers.

So, yeah, we put cargo there!
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
ChuckM

Re: getting started with new (old) RV

Post by ChuckM »

larihack wrote:I am brand new to the RV world, having recently purchased a 2001 26'rsb with 75K miles on it.
The bathroom divider was missing on mine so I added 3 closet folding panels instead.
I'd stick with the divider if you don't mind it, even though I'm happy with my fix.
That's the second RV we found missing the accordion curtain.
shezonit

Post by shezonit »

shilohdad wrote:Yes, we put cargo in the overcab area. Lots of stuff.

First, we never try to sleep there, so we removed the mattress. In our coach, this leaves that whole area carpeted. Many of the things we store there (pillows, Travasacks) are rough-surfaced enough that they don't move.

We also got two stacking plastic drawers in which we keep heavy stuff like extra canned goods, flour for baking, etc. Again, we have never had problems with their sliding, and the drawers sort of lock in place. Putting heavy stuff there rather than in some of the galley cabinets also helps take weight off the rear axle, which tends to run heavy.

Then there is our more esoteric but bulky stuff we put up there. Joe's small harp, Lucinda's spinning wheel and fiber for spinning. These things are in rough-surfaced carry-bags that grip the carpet and have never slid. Our computer printer lives behind the plastic drawers.

So, yeah, we put cargo there!
Harp? Loom?
When do you find time for these hobbies? I took all kinds of hobby stuff with me, and never touched any of it in 5 months... Snowbirding is a full time job!
I store all my motorcycle gear and extra bedding in the cabover . It's a giant, lighted space. I put all my heavy stuff ( canned food, the BF manuals, etc, extra oil, etc) forward, but low. Used the drawers under the sofa. There is so much storage, I still have empty cabinets and drawers.
Last edited by shezonit on Tue May 06, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
larihack

parking

Post by larihack »

More great info! Thank you all so much. One more question: do you ever park on the street when visiting towns? We are driving to Walla Walla, WA, soon to attend our son's college graduation. We are taking Bertha for her first big run then. Will be renting a house there and wonder about parking her on the street.
Dude

Post by Dude »

I would check the town website for where you are visiting. My thoughts are it is a registered motorvehicle. If they don't say you can't park there then you can. I know the town I grew up on you could not park commercial vehicles or trailers on the street (don't know about RV's, didn't have one when I lived there). Then I moved to PA and one of the neighbors had his boat and trailer parked on the street during fishing season. Another person in town kept their popup parked on the street. My curren town does not allow any street parking so there is no reason to even look, I can't park my car on the street.....thankfully I have a huge driveway.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

When visiting my daughter in Florida I parked in her driveway. We were careful not to block the sidewalk. I did not know and did not ask if their was a city ordinance prohibiting it. My daughter let her immediate neighbors know in advance that it would be for four nights. I think the prohibition is really for property owners who use their driveway or side yard for storage of boats and RV's. Stop! This is not a criticism of those of you who do this, it's only a comment . Police have so much crime to deal with and code enforcement officers that are reasonable each will most likely look the other way. And remember at least in this minor violation. "Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission." If you are fined pay up since you know you have violated the law :lol:
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Sam,

Never is too strong a word. Common sense will tell you when you can and cannot park on the street.

Dude has it right. You are driving a registered vehicle. If a car or truck can legally park you can too as long as you don't block traffic

Sam, give me examples of specific ordinances you know of that prohibit occupancy of a parked vehicle.
And tell us of towns that have city property specifically allowing overnight parking of RV's.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Sam,

Read my post.

I did not say camping, I said parking
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
shezonit

Parking- never say never :-)

Post by shezonit »

I have "stealth" parked a fair amount since I first got a camper van 30+ years ago.
The only problem I have seen with city street parking is taking more than one space. I only do it is there is a lot of empty parking. I have managed to get my 26 ft into some "normal" size parking spaces in lots by backing the rear overhang over grass or sand- not sidewalks. The length was ok, but it's still wide.
In cities, I look for businesses (appliances, furniture) that have a big parking lot with their delivery vans and "hide" next to those. So far so good. I move as soon as I wake up, before they open.
I think the whole 5 months I was on the road this winter, I might have paid for one month at various places, usually when there were hot springs attached. :-) I also had some friends places to park for a few days at a time off and on. Also, many small towns have a little city park. I have parked in those, too.
IF an officer ever knocked, I'd say I needed some sleep, but no one has ever knocked.
There are many many website pages devoted to free RV parking, stealth camping, etc. The other thing is I don't call it camping, I call it parking or a rest stop.
Enjoy!

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”