I need a rear end repair, desperately!

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

djmajors

Post by djmajors »

Hello, my father and mother bought a 2000 26 ft Born Free 3 years ago to go to Yellowstone with my family and we had a great time. Fabulous Class C!

Since then, we have lost my father, and have only used the Born Free a few times. On a road trip to the Hill Country in Texas and back to Lousiana, where we live - we broke a rear axle in Houston.

We have found some very patient, very professional repair people at Milstead RV in Spring, TX. They have quoted us at price of around $3500 to repair, BUT cannot find an axle that matches. (they would gladly change the whole rear end if we find one of those.

Please, please - is there any suggestions on where 8 might find a contact that could help us with this? My family and I would be eternally greatly for any help.

In advance, thank you so kindly for any help and certainly your prayers. As you all know, we have found ourselves in a wonderful family as a Born Free owner. God bless each and every one of you and yours,

By the way, if it would be more appropriate, my phone number is 337-945-8287 and my name is Danny Majors.
Dude

Post by Dude »

As for finding a used rear end for a Class C RV.....I'd contact a Truck shop that works on Big stuff, not cars,vans, pickups. I mean some place that has dump trucks, tractor trailers, box trucks, etc in the yard. I wouldn't let your local shop that works on cars and pickups work on it. A truck shop would be able to get the parts you need.

The RV mechanic I use has the big stuff in his lot so I know he knows how to work on heavy duty trannies, rear ends, motors, etc.

Sorry to hear about your Dad's passing.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
shezonit

But I have to ask....

Post by shezonit »

How does one break an axle? Really deep pothole? Sorry, BUT I had to ask, since my rig is way older than yours. If you don't want to talk about it, I APOLOGIZE.
Dude

Post by Dude »

You can blow a rear by not inspecting it or maintaining it....change the rear diff fluid.

You don't know what the prior owner did or when. When I got my BF it had 50,000 miles on it and it was a 1989. I don't think you are supposed to change the rear diff fluid until like 75k miles but the fluid in mine was 25 years old!!! It was leaking but there was no play in the drive shaft and no noises coming from the rear. So I just needed to have it changed. $80 if I remember correctly.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father.

This axle might work . . .

05 FORD E250 E350 E450 RV Dana 4.56 NON Limited Slip Rear Axle Suspension 24k miles
http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-FORD-E250-E3 ... a1&vxp=mtr

These guys might be worth a call for parts . . .

Ray & Bob's Truck Salvage
http://www.rayandbobstrucksalvage.com/c ... ?pg=parts2
101 South 35th Avenue | Phoenix, AZ 85009
Phone: 602-278-7411 Fax: 602-233-1158
info@rayandbobstrucksalvage.com
DISMANTLING FORD ECONOLINE E-350 & E-450 TRUCKS
1999-2012 Ford Econoline E-150, E-250, E-350, & E-450 parts. Single & dual rear wheel drivetrain. The Southwest's largest selection of dual rear wheel cutaway vans and bodies.

It might also be worth a call to a dealer to get prices on repairs.

Joe Myers Ford
Ford Commercial Trucks & Vans
888-470-8078
16634 NW Freeway Houston, TX 77040
888-470-8078
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
randallrae

parts

Post by randallrae »

2012 25' rb
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

You probably have a standard E-450 Van. There are hundreds of thousands of these Ford Vans around the country. If someone is telling you they can't find the part, run from them as fast as you can!

If perhaps it is a chevy van, there are fewer, but still thousands around.
ddpjep

Re: But I have to ask....

Post by ddpjep »

shezonit wrote:How does one break an axle? Really deep pothole? Sorry, BUT I had to ask, since my rig is way older than yours. If you don't want to talk about it, I APOLOGIZE.
The V-10 engine is capable of great horsepower. In the past, when ambulances would start out quickly upon receiving a call, the full power of the engine would tear out the gears in the rear axle differential. Keep this in mind the next time you drag race with your Born Free.

Dean

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”