If it can go wrong

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ray

Post by Ray »

I do the same as Dallas, I never hook up the water, I use the water tank.

I have seen water running out of the doors or RV's and I have seen boats sink when water was left hooked up and turned on in unattended RV's and boats.
larihack

Post by larihack »

So we had the coup de gras today. As we were driving along we heard a loud crash outside of Bertha. Quickly pull over to find our awning in the middle of the highway with the metal brackets banging up against the side of the RV. Another CW issue. They not only inspected it, but they "fixed it". We never even got to use it. So we spent an hour by the side of the road with a nice KS state trooper watching the traffic while we dismantled what was left of the awning and left it all by the side of the road. This has not been the trip from heaven.

As far as water and cooking go, we tried to boil water for pasta inside and it took an hour to heat up to almost boiling. That is why we elected to use the old coleman stove.

And I appreciate the input on the water hook ups. We were trying to limit weight when we planned to tow our son's car, but then we chickened out, thank goodness, so the added weight of the water only affects gas mileage I guess.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I think I can assure you that your trials and tribulations are not the normal daily routine of BF travel!!!

It has to get better, but as I follow your story I will not be surprised to read of more "things gone wrong."

It will take the passage of time for your experiences to become a funny story to tell your friends and grandchildren :cry: :wink:
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

larihack wrote: As far as water and cooking go, we tried to boil water for pasta inside and it took an hour to heat up to almost boiling. That is why we elected to use the old coleman stove.
The flame on the stove, as you probably know, should (ideally) be completely blue or (less than ideally, as for my RV) mostly blue. Again, this is something CW should have checked and corrected, if needed.

I haven't timed how long water takes to boil but would estimate for us about 10-15 minutes for a full coffee pot's worth.

Sorry to hear of your continued RV troubles. Hope things turn a positive corner soon!
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
stevek

Post by stevek »

On my 2011 BF, the awning brackets for the Awning support arms are held on with
4 Lag Bolts. 2 for each bracket.
To me this is a poor design and just waiting for an accident to happen.
I was able to drill a hole all the way thru to the interior and fasten with a 1/4" nut and bolt w/ large washer.
That way I was darn sure the awning wasn't going any where driving down the road.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Getting water to boil for pasta was a problem in our 2004 RSB as well. We got a Tupperware pasta cooker that we use in the microwave and it works pretty well for portions for 2. It is a simple blue plastic thing with a lid and cooks the pasta in a couple of minutes longer than the directions on the pasta package suggest. Hope your luck turns soon! This coach must have been really neglected because the magnitude of your problems is very unusual.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
whemme

Post by whemme »

larihack,

Was the awning latch on the front of the roller tube in the locked position before you left on your trip. If not latched properly, the awning can and will unfurl aided by the wind as you drive down the road. Once it unfurls, the wind probably will wreck the awning.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

I sure hope things turn around for you soon. I'm sorry you've gone through so much, but you are teaching us newbies by your experiences. Thank you for posting what you're going through. Hang in there. It will get better !! :lol:
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

When the Suburban cooktop in my coach started giving me grief I decided to upgrade to a residential cooktop. I opted for a Smeg 24" model. The biggest obstacle was filling in the front of the countertop. I built a shallow drawer to fill the void.

Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
cmeadows

If it can go wrong

Post by cmeadows »

Tom

Wow! That's an impressive cook top. You probably gained 3 times the BTUs in that swap. My guess is that you don't stray too far from it when it's fired-up. I like your custom shallow drawer to fill the void. Very nice work!

Chuck
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Impressive... and the drawer is an extra bonus.. great job !!
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Nice upgrade Tom. Others considering upgrading to a residential cooktop should ensure that it is outfitted with the proper LP/propane burner orifices.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Me thinks the thread was accidentally hijacked.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
larihack

Post by larihack »

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. Nothing happened to bertha today. Of course we are now in OK City, dropping our son off to begin his new adventure with Teach for America, so we are driving a rental car!

As far as the latch on the awning, I assume it was latched. We never even opened it. It was noted to be a little loose by the guy at CW that we paid to give us a 2 hour orientation to her, not by the guys that did the inspection, so they took her in back and supposedly fixed it. No one said anything about checking the awning before driving if it wasn't used.

I like the idea of the newer cook top and may look into when I get home in October. Until then I just hope there aren't any more surprises.

Also, how do you guys get the info about your rig on your signature?

And does anyone have the extended warranty by US Warranty? I think that's what we have. Wonder if they will cover the hot water tank, the plumbing or the awning.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I note that Bertha has been demoted to lower case.... :lol:

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”