If it can go wrong

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

larihack

If it can go wrong

Post by larihack »

So we got on the road Tuesday with our new, old BF and have had one problem after another. This is particularly bothersome because we paid Camping World to do a full inspection and I am not sure what they were inspecting. First, our fridge wouldn't work on LP. Stopped at CW and they said there was rust on the electrode. Blew it off and it worked...until day 2. Now carry a small air can to clean it as needed. Then tried to hook up to water at RV site and no water came in. So filled up clean water holding tank and have been using that. Turned on hot water heater, but water didn't get very hot. That was because there was water running out of the pop off valve putting out the flame. Called CW again and was told that sometimes these old rigs just do that and need to be replaced if can't form air bubble in tank. So day 1, fridge is questionable, hot water nonexistent and can't hook up to city water. Today we find water dripping under her. The toilet connections are leaking. Can't fix them. Have to turn off water to toilet. So we are basically car camping. Have to heat water on old camping stove to wash dishes (took an hour to heat water inside), no shower, no toilet, no hot water heater. I am still trying to figure out what they inspected at CW.
:twisted: :twisted:
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I would definitely contact Marcus Lemonis at Good Sam/Camping World and demand a refund. BTW, I wouldn't trust CW to inspect anything.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

In my BF the toilet black water drain is a separate system than the gray water drain for the two sinks and shower. In other BF's the shower drains into the black water tank but the two sinks drain into the gray water tank. If I am wrong here someone please correct me. If your toilet leak is under your BF you most likely can use at least your two sinks.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Dallas,

In our 2006 24RB the kitchen sink and shower drain into the gray tank. The bathroom sink and toilet drain into the black tank.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

My bathroom sink drains into the black tank.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

BTW, the RV.net forum has a 'Dear Marcus' section where he will respond to such complaints. It might be worth your signing on if you aren't already just to tell your story. He does answer and often resolves the issues. It seems he is trying to improve CW's reputation since taking over the company.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I stand corrected. But at least one sink drains into the gray water tank as well as the shower and possibly may be used if the black water tank or plumbing is the source of the leak. Right?

Larihik, lack of a direct hookup to fresh water is not a problem for me. I use my fresh water tank and my water pump all the time. I need it when traveling and when camping without a water hookup and I have found that my gray and black water tanks combined hold about two fill ups of the fresh water tank. Since the tank gauges are notoriously inaccurate this gives a good idea of when I need to dump my holding tanks.

There was an earlier series of posts regarding blockage of plumbing for direct hookup to city water. Perhaps someone reading this thread will provide a reference.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Ditto what Dallas says about filling the water tank and using the water pump. After 10 years of camping in our Born Free, we find it to be the the most reliable measure of when we need to dump, plus we empty the water tank frequently and with a water filter, know that we have good water. We never hook up to the city water option.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

harrisgowing wrote:Ditto what Dallas says about filling the water tank and using the water pump. After 10 years of camping in our Born Free, we find it to be the the most reliable measure of when we need to dump, plus we empty the water tank frequently and with a water filter, know that we have good water. We never hook up to the city water option.
That and the fact that you don't have to worry about a sudden water pressure surge flooding your RV. I prefer to fill and use my freshwater tank, too.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

double post
Last edited by mockturtle on Sat May 31, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

The OP paid CW for 'a full inspection'. Did he get what he paid for? I think not.
larihack

Post by larihack »

Thanks for all the input. I shut off the water directly to the toilet and haven't seen any more water dripping out. I also appreciate the info on CW. We live in Eugene, OR, so we have a lots of RV places. I figured CW was a pretty good name so went there. Will go to Guaranty next time. In addition to the above issues we discovered that the generator didn't work after they supposedly inspected it so we spent another day up there getting that fixed. And when they dewinterized they didn't turn the water on to the water heater so we didn't get hot water until I figured that one out. And the toilet looked like it had leaked in the past as there was water damage around it, but i was assured it worked fine when I picked it up. As my friend said the 49 points they checked were in a circle the size of a quarter on the dash board. I will definitely be contacting CW when I get a chance. Unfortunately I won't be back home for 4 months as part of Bertha's mission was to get me to a medical mission on the Navajo reservation for the summer.
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

There is a subforum on RV.net called Camping World Service and Installation. There is also one for CW Sales. If you have access to the internet, you can use this forum to state your concerns. Mr. Lemonis does read these and often responds. Don't just let it slide! Hope everything goes better for you in the future. Also, you might want to check some reviews here before dealing with Guaranty. JFYI. http://www.rvservicereviews.com/
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

I also just use the water tank and pump for water.

Water heater: if you don't use it for showers you don't need it. You can heat up water faster on the stove as you only heat what you need vs. heating all of the water tank gallons. Combine this with one of those digital temp reading guns and you can heat the water to the exact temp you want. The valve on the water heater should be an easy fix/replacement.

Old camp stove: don't understand this. Why can't you use the RV stove top?

Toilet connections leak: not possible to tighten them? Otherwise, turn off pump and add some plumber's grease and re-connect.
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Wasn't there a thread recently discussing a check valve in the city water line and it's malfunction thus blocking flow?

Could this be a solution to larihak's lack of water flow? I have no expertise here. Would someone explain this to Larihik?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”