Coach Battery Tray

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Tom and Jennifer Pierpan

Coach Battery Tray

Post by Tom and Jennifer Pierpan »

After 10 years of ownership, we decided to remove the battery tray that holds the coach batteries in order to sand it down and paint it. It was quite a battle to remove the rusted nuts on the four bolts that hold the tray in place. Thanks to several gallons of PB Blaster and help from a neighbor, we finally got them off and were able to remove the tray from the battery compartment.

We are amazed at the depth and extent of the rust on the metal tray where the paint failed and peeled, despite what appear to be adequate drain holes at each corner of the tray. We have scraped, wire brushed and machine sanded the tray to where it is ready for primer. We have also done the same to the two pieces that hold the tray and allow it to slide back and forth.

My question applies to these two pieces that hold the tray and allow you to slide the tray out to service the batteries. What do you use to lubricate these slides? My guess is it's some kind of grease similar to what mechanics use to lubricate parts of the suspension on cars. In the ten years we have owned this BF we have never lubricated the slides, so now seems to be a good time to do this. Thanks.

Tom Pierpan
randallrae

lube

Post by randallrae »

Some RV slide out lubes don't attract dirt , but an anti corrosion lube try http://corrosionx.com/
2012 25' rb
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

On this subject, but a different problem: My tray was so badly corroded that I called Kim and he told me that they had changed to a new style of tray that resulted in the batteries coming out further so that it was easy to tend to the cells water needs. I ordered the new tray and it does what he said, BUT, I did not foresee the fact that with additional travel my cables are not long enough to allow the full travel of the tray. Thus I am back to square one.
Any suggestions on how to extend these cables? There are several. The small ones should not be a problem. I can splice them and extend their length. The big ones, like the feed to the generator etc. are another matter.

Thanks in advance
Jim
karls

Post by karls »

Walmart has battery cables that should be adaptable.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... 4=&veh=sem
stevek

Post by stevek »

Speaking of battery trays, has anybody changed over to Golf Cart 6 volts Batts? These batteries are taller. And will not fit in my Batt Tray with out modification .

And what is a good paint to repaint the Batt Tray?

I am looking to replace my Batteries. Thanks.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
randallrae

golf cart batteries

Post by randallrae »

On our 98 we had room and height for Trojan golf cart batteries . I would measure the max LxWxD of the tray and opening , and see if you can find a manufacturer that makes one that fits . Golf cart batteries will last longer dry camping between charges , and are designed to withstand MANY more deep recharges than conventional deep cycle batteries .
2012 25' rb
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Jim Hofmann wrote:On this subject, but a different problem: My tray was so badly corroded that I called Kim and he told me that they had changed to a new style of tray that resulted in the batteries coming out further so that it was easy to tend to the cells water needs. I ordered the new tray and it does what he said, BUT, I did not foresee the fact that with additional travel my cables are not long enough to allow the full travel of the tray. Thus I am back to square one.
Any suggestions on how to extend these cables? There are several. The small ones should not be a problem. I can splice them and extend their length. The big ones, like the feed to the generator etc. are another matter.

Thanks in advance
Jim
Concerning cables, I suggest you go to a welding supply store and buy electric welding cables. You can get a gauge which is big enough plus, they are quite flexible with really high quality insulation. Welding supply folks will also likely have connectors. This will cost more, probably, but you will have an easier to install project and cables will bend easily when tray in moved in and out.
Learned this from my local independent RV repair guy.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

Regarding the "extension" of battery cables. I did not make it clear, that I was hoping that I could "extend" the big battery cables 6" to one foot +/-.

I was wondering if I could fasten an extension on to the existing cables and if so how? There has to be a better way than to run all new cables.

Thanks
Jim

r
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Jim,
Until an electrician joins in to correct me, I will stay with original suggestion. It is not a good thing to have unions in high current lines.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Rob

Post by Rob »

I have replaced my dead interstates with Trojan T105's. Batteries are great, very satisfied. Original battery tray, not so much. Trojans are placed in the long way. Short end of the battery faces out. Can't pull them out far enough to check the water level.

Am going to order the new battery tray that Born Free (Kim) has available. Also need longer battery cables.
Didn't realize I would need to do so many changes but I am still glad I changed over to the Trojan batteries.

View the topic EZ-Glide Battery Tray. Barb and Bill have great pictures of the change over on their 2004 Built for two.

Rob and Joan Beery
2003 24RB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Trojan 105 Plus in the EZ-Glide Battery Tray.

Bill
Attachments
Trojan T-105 Plus 1.jpg
Trojan T-105 Plus 1.jpg (153.15 KiB) Viewed 18561 times
Trojan T-105 Plus 2.jpg
Trojan T-105 Plus 2.jpg (173.54 KiB) Viewed 18561 times
Trojan T-105 Plus 4.jpg
Trojan T-105 Plus 4.jpg (184.81 KiB) Viewed 18561 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have the "new"battery tray. I have the. 6 volt golf cart batteries. I did not change out the cables. I can pull out the tray far enough to add water if needed.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
stevek

Post by stevek »

Bill, what is the overall height of 6 volt batts.
I don't think my battery compartment is tall enough in my 2011.

I know the Trojans are $$, I have heard.
And heard some people buy Golf Cart Batteries at Sams Club or Costco.

So what are the total amp hrs you get?

And where did you get the Velcro strip?
The nylon strap that came with my BF was real rinky dink and I could not pull it tight enough to secure the batteries.

Thanks.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Jim Hofmann wrote:On this subject, but a different problem: My tray was so badly corroded that I called Kim and he told me that they had changed to a new style of tray that resulted in the batteries coming out further so that it was easy to tend to the cells water needs. I ordered the new tray and it does what he said, BUT, I did not foresee the fact that with additional travel my cables are not long enough to allow the full travel of the tray. Thus I am back to square one.

Thanks in advance
Jim
Jim, my cables were long enough when I turn the batteries port to starboard in the new EZ tray (see photos in my post above). Have you tried this?

Bill
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

stevek wrote:Bill, what is the overall height of 6 volt batts.
I don't think my battery compartment is tall enough in my 2011.
SEE IMAGE BELOW
I know the Trojans are $$, I have heard.
And heard some people buy Golf Cart Batteries at Sams Club or Costco.

So what are the total amp hrs you get?
SEE THIS WEBSITE: http://www.trojanbattery.com/battery/plus-series/6v/
And where did you get the Velcro strip?
The nylon strap that came with my BF was real rinky dink and I could not pull it tight enough to secure the batteries.
SAME NYLON STRAP THE TRAY CAME WITH.

Thanks.
Attachments
2014-06-03_113759.jpg
2014-06-03_113759.jpg (33.22 KiB) Viewed 18515 times
Barb & Bill

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”