Installing PD4655 Question

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Rob

Installing PD4655 Question

Post by Rob »

I have purchased the PD4655 upgrade. However I did not purchase the remote pendant thinking I didn't need it.

After reading and rereading Bill Hemme's excellent install manual I came to the conclusion that maybe the remote pendant was required as part of the installation. Am I crazy or just over caucus?

Rob and Joan Beery
2003 24RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Rob,

The remote pendant is an option and not required. Without it, the PD4655 will automatically select the appropriate choice of one of three charging voltages, 1) +13.2 vdc, 2) +13.8 vdc or 3) +14.4 vdc.

What the remote pendant does is add a couple of features. 1) it has a push button switch you can use it to over-ride any of the above automatically selected modes and allows you to pick the mode you want the charger/converter to assume and 2) the pendant has a green LED indicator in it that allows you to know which of the three modes it is currently operating in.

Your choice if you want these additional features that the remote pendant provides. You can get the remote pendant from Randy at http://www.bestconverter.com
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
jimb

Post by jimb »

Bill,
I am ready to replace the converter in my 2003 26 rb.
I talked with Randy @ Best Converter and he recommended going with the Ultra III kit for $213 instead of the PD4655. Any thoughts? Advantages? Disadvantages?
Thanks,
Jim
Jim & Jeanie Barta in San Diego
2003 26' RB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Jim, looks like the Ultra III has the same 3-stage output voltages as does the PD unit. Seems like it would work just fine. I coverted to the 3-stage 55amp WFCO unit several years ago and have been very happy. IMHO, any of these units will work just fine. The fact that Randy from Best Converter recommended the Ultra III, would lead me to go with it over the others.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
whemme

Post by whemme »

Jim,

I have no experience with the Ultra III. However, I value Randy's opinion and experience very much. You probably would be happy with either the PD4655 or the Ultra III. You can decide.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Rob

Re: Installing PD4655 Question

Post by Rob »

I now have received my PD4655 and am ready to install it. My question is this. Is the Installation and Operation Guide provided with the PD4600 series in the box the only instructions needed to correctly install the unit?
Thanks

Rob and Joan Beery
2003 24RB
Tuolumne, CA
whemme

Post by whemme »

Rob,

The installation instructions that came with your PD4655 should be adequate. However, there are two posts on in the Coach Modifications section of this forum that contain additional installation information.

One post is by me and it is titled Converting Parallax 7345 Charger/Converter to PD4655 system

The other post was authored by Bruce Hinde and titled Installation Procedures for PD4655 Charger/Converter but posted for him by me. This post contains two different pdf files that you can download concerning installation. I believe one of the two file probably is the same installation procedure that you received with your PD4655 unit.

Let us know how the installation works out for you.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Rob

Post by Rob »

Bill,
I am going to install my PD4655 between Thursday and Monday this weekend.
It occurred to me to ask what is the recommended way to verify that the installation has been completed correctly before I turn on the battery switch inside the coach?

Rob and Joan Beery
2003 24RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

Rob,

Probably the easiest way to determine that your new PD4655 is hooked up and working OK is to first leave your battery master switch OFF. Then either hookup to shoreline power or start your generator - either will provide power to run the PD4655 Charger/Converter. Then turn on some of your lights inside the coach since they are DC powered. If the lights come on then the PD4655 is powering up your coach's DC power buss with + 13 to +14 vdc. Also, the battery charge level indicator on the hood above your stove should light up with the top green indicator illuminated.

Then you can go ahead and turn on your coach battery master switch.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Rob

Post by Rob »

Bill,
That question was on my mind. I will test it out just like you said.
To have someone like you available is a real treasure. Thank you so much.

Rob and Joan Beery
2003 24RB
KevinVT

Post by KevinVT »

Hey folks,

I know this is an older post... but seems more related to my questions. I have reviewed several post on replacing the Charger/Converter. I need to replace my batteries because one burned up in the fall and based on what I have learned here.. I am thinking I should replace the Charger/Converter as well. We do not have solar... but do tend to plug our RV in when we are home and it sits in the driveway. I also think being able to replesnh the batteries with the generator in a few hours vs/ days is a huge plus if boon docking.

I have a 2003 24RB.

My Charger/Converter is a Parallax 7345. And it says 45 Amps above the model number.

I see in all the posts that the PD4655V is the recommended replacement for the 7345.

My question is why the 55 is recommended and not the 45? (PD4645V) -- In the factory installation instructions it states:

Model PD4645 (45 Amp) for replacement of: Parallax model 7345
Model PD4655 (55 Amp) for replacement of: Parallax model 7355

And then states "Do NOT install a converter whose amperage rating is higher than the one originally installed in your application.Doing so may cause wiring to overheat, resulting in damage to components and/or fire.

I trust the folks in this forum but just wish to understand why it is ok to use the 55 model since it is clearly a higher amperage rating?

One other questions - Will a Group 31 battery fit within the battery tray? I found only one reference in the forum to a G31 battery size. Was this the original size? Seems like it should.. but my used Born Free had Group 27 size batteries - that seemed a bit smaller in the tray. I know there are a lot of opinions out there... if someone know the tread that has good advice on which batteries are best these days let me know. I have been searching the forum as well.

Thanks!
--Kevin
2003 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6685 -- 11/2003

(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6176 -- 9/2000)
(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6185 -- 3/2001)
KevinVT

Post by KevinVT »

Hi again,

So I just got an email back from Randy at Best Converters.

"Hi Kevin, The single best thing you can do is upgrade that single stage 7344 to the 4655VL. That is still the one I recommend. Get the remote too, you'll love it." 4655VL -- Randy Best Converter

So I am guessing this might be why the 55 is recommended here.. because it is the recommendation of Best Converters :-)
--Kevin

whemme

Post by whemme »

Kevin, I was one that also some time ago recommended the 55 amp rated 3-stage charger/converter upgrade. For two reasons: 1) the 55 amp unit is only about $10 more than the 45 amp unit and 2) the Born Free wiring can easily handle the increased charging rate. By the way, that 55 amp max charging rate will only last at most a couple of minutes before gradually decreasing below a 45 amp rate.

Concerning your size of your house batteries. Born Free originally supplied a pair of Interstate SRM-27 batteries. The higher capacity SRM-29 size battery will fit your carrier if you remove the wood spacer block from the carrier. I don't know that the even larger SRM-31 battery will fit the carrier. I have been using the SRM-29 batteries for several years due to their increased capacity.

Randy at BestConverter.com is really a good guy and offers good advice.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
KevinVT

Post by KevinVT »

Thanks Bill,

Thank you for the battery info. I am going to go with some interstate SRM-29, and I just ordered a 4655VL converter/charger based on Randy's advice. I did also order the remote pendent.

Would you still advise to NOT change out the pc board? Seems like this might make the install easier and faster. I don't think the VL I am getting is very different than the model you mentioned. I think the main difference is it includes a jumper for charging Lithium-ion batteries - incase I ever want to consider that in the future.

--Kevin
--Kevin

whemme

Post by whemme »

Keven,

Especially since your are also getting the remote pendant, you won't need to replace your existing fuse board. Replacing that board can be a ton of work - don't do it - not necessary.

I also just checked the Interstate Battery website - it appears that the SRM-29 is no longer listed??? Recommend you contact an Interstate dealer to check on availability.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”