Water leaks to inside the Coach

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

Re: Water leaks to inside the Coach

Post by stevek »

You sealed the front window?
If so, what did you use to seal such a large area?
Thanks.

Plus I see you have a solar panel.. :D
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
tedelman

Post by tedelman »

The front window is original. This BF is a '92.
Yes, I've a solar system installed because I like to boondook .
The leak I had was under the passenger side window in the front overhead sleeper. I removed the window and the seam over the top overhang. Caulked around all and laid down the 4" weather tape. Result: No more leaks.
Attachments
S solar Boost.png
S solar Boost.png (326.91 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
Inverter.png
Inverter.png (187.89 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
Untitled-14.jpg
Untitled-14.jpg (40.14 KiB) Viewed 2910 times
ejayk

Post by ejayk »

Thanks, Dennis. We are still fighting leaks, but so far have:
Replaced the pieces, front and back, that go across the top. Top front had never been caulked where it back joined front. Everything caulked including screw holes.
Sealed everything on the top, bathroom fan, AC unit and Fantastic Fan
Today we discovered that the screw holes on trim at the back, near the bottom of the coach, have allowed water to get into coach. This is odd because the piece does not cover a seam, but screws were wet and water came out when we took piece off. (Getting lots of rain in sunny Florida)
We are recaulking the compartment where the hot water heater is because water is coming in from that area.
Caulking around all windows.
Removed ladder screws and cleaned and caulked those areas.
Checked all of our weep holes, thanks to your advice. They seem to be working, but we did clean them.
I think we would advise anyone buying a used coach, either recaulk or have it recaulked before using it. It would have saved us a lot of time, damage and effort had we been that foreward thinking.
I think the newer coaches may have addressed some of these issues in design, but not sure.
It is so nice to be able to get advice from those who have had similar experiences.
Thanks again, and Safe, Happy, Travels.
DennisM

Post by DennisM »

Glad we where able to be of help.
Just remember that the air pressure test gave us confidence that we had found all the issues. Have it run after you think you have found all the water problems. Well worth the $100 they charged us at the local RV dealer for the peace of mind.

Happy travels.

Dennis

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”