Shoreline Cable Plug Problem at Born Free Power Connection

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

Re: Shoreline Cable Plug Problem at Born Free Power Connecti

Post by stevek »

Thanks Mel, good read.
I did some shopping and looks like $170 for a new plug and socket.
Plus your labor or someone else to install.
Expensive little bugger :shock:
Free shipping at...
http://www.smartplugonly.com/product/B30ASSY.html

So.... is the expense worth it?
Yes More safety... does that Warrant the change over?
Wonder how hard the job would be for a do it yourself kinda guy like me?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I changed mine over to the Smart Plug. It's not hard if you are handy, can read directions and know how to strip and connect a few wires.

I reused my power cord, just cut the old end off and put the Smart Plug on. Then replaced the socket end on the RV.

The biggest drawback to the original plug setup was inserting the plug and then having to turn it. I think any plug/socket combination that is just a straight plug in type would work as well as the Smart Plug, probably for less $$$.

John
fair winds

Post by fair winds »

Well, my new Marinco and matching cord are working beautifully. Someday I'll probably get a Smart Plug, but until then will just have to do what I've been advised most cautious RVers do: check the hookup often to make certain all is as it should be, especially at the post/surge guard.
Isn't there some sort of association or federation that oversees RV park electrical systems?
Fair winds!
Donnis
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

The reason that RVs have the twist - in female plug is that they are an adaptation of the marine cable system where a more secure connection is needed to compensate for the wave action in a marina which could potentially jiggle the plug out of its socket and leave the boat without power for how many days without detection. so it boils down to the cost of production of a new system versus the adaptation of a proven and adequate system.
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Excellent article on why not to use an L5-30 connector:
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/inst ... smart_plug
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
stevek

Post by stevek »

What is the NEMA number for the Smart Plug?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

Add me to the Smart Plug conversion list. When we were preparing for spring break this year, the night temps were in the low teens. I had the strip heater on to keep some heat in the coach while we packed. Like Bill Hemme, we too, use a Kill-a-Watt meter in the coach to monitor voltage. I noticed the voltage about 5 volts lower than normal and went looking for the problem. The Marinco cord connection at the coach was warm. The poor connection had high resistance and was generating heat. The coach was only drawing 15 of the rated 30 amps. I’ve always used the Marinco locking ring and everything appeared to be fine—other than the heat at the connection.

I replaced the plug and receptacle with a kit from SmartPlug. Other than the connection plug, the cord was in fine shape so I kept it. I was very impressed with the strain-relief nylon and quality of the original Marinco cord. It was a pretty simple installation and conversion. The mount holes for the receptacle matched and there was no cutting or drilling required for the replacement kit.

The SmartPlug kit cost $161 and was backordered 9 weeks from Amazon. It was worth the wait. If you have an older coach, this may be a worthy upgrade.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PI8U5U
Attachments
old plug and new kit.jpg
old plug and new kit.jpg (385.89 KiB) Viewed 11833 times
SmartPlug installed.jpg
SmartPlug installed.jpg (358.99 KiB) Viewed 11833 times
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Nice install/conversion Chuck & Laura. Thanks for the photos.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

Chuck, you know how the original plug was fried - disconcerting it under load, otherwise it would last forever, like a kitchen appliance plug. :D

If the new plug did not allow disconnecting it under load, then the name Smart Plug would be well justified. Otherwise it is just a new replacement with a shiny cap. :roll:
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

Oliver,

Yes, but the shiny cap is very pretty! :)

No argument from me on any of your points. I'm pretty good about turning off the load in the coach and the switch at the post before connecting/disconnecting the power cord. We've had the coach 3 years. I don't know what procedure was used in the 13 years of previous ownership. The original plug always seemed loose until the black locking ring was tightened. It was probably just time for a new plug set.

I considered installing new Marinco parts but the SmartPlug kit had one feature I wanted—a built-in thermal breaker. While that doesn't make it smart, it should help to prevent a fire at the plug if a high resistance condition occurs again.

But what I really wanted was the shiny cap. :)
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

Well Chuck, smart RV-er is preferable than the "Smart" Plug, but hey, no arguing against the SHINY CAP.
Enjoy the view :D :D :D :D :D
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Chuck
It looks like a worthwhile upgrade. I'm curious as to what actually failed. Did you find evidence of over heating on the wires inside the coach on the backside of the Marinco receptacle? And, from your photo it looks like the safety ground could have been carrying high current on it :!: :?: :!: :?: Did you see evidence of that?

Mine also failed a couple of years ago and Marinco sent whole replacements for the cord and receptacle for free. When I replaced the receptacle I found the factory hand tightened the neutral lead screw over the wire's insulation and there was little area making contact and overheating the wire and the connector. I felt bad :oops: that Marinco had assumed the responsibility, without investigating, for the factory's mistake and the factory seemed unconcerned and was pointing fingers at everyone else. But it did explain a lot of borderline issues I'd been having for the first several years and it has worked great since re-instilling my faith in Marinco products - until I saw yours. We were actually pretty lucky - it had the potential to start a fire. :shock:

Mike
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

Mike,

I found a couple photos from March when this happened. The ground and hot wires were intact—neutral was fried. The bulk of the heat damage was inside the Marinco electric box. The wires inside the cordset had very little damage.

The problem was most likely caused by a weak connection on neutral within the plug on the cord. Since this is a molded cordset, there is no way to inspect these connections without destroying the plug. While the black locking ring on the cord makes the connection firm, I think it gives a false sense of security for a good connection.

A pretty good argument could be made that even if a person abuses the cord and connection by plugging-in and unplugging the cordset under full load, the penalty for such an act should not be burning down the coach. I think a thermal breaker in this connection is a good idea.

We were pretty lucky as well.
Chuck
Attachments
Coach connection front-outside.jpg
Coach connection front-outside.jpg (357.88 KiB) Viewed 11747 times
Coach connection back-inside.jpg
Coach connection back-inside.jpg (376.68 KiB) Viewed 11747 times
cord connection.jpg
cord connection.jpg (390.79 KiB) Viewed 11747 times
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
Mike Jean Bandfield

Chuck, your pictures make the point so well. Mel posted a link to an article here last year which contained this picture: Image
I've changed my thinking about power cords and connectors. Here's the bottom line for me. With low voltage connections at campground pedestals being a very, very common occurrence there is no wiggle room. This problem is additive and self perpetuating and once started it will end in failure without intervention. To avoid problems like these we have to make sure all of the connections in our coaches and power connectors are maintained to perfection to prevent the bad power, which we are certain to encounter at the campgrounds, from over heating any of the connections in our equipment. Inspect your connectors often for signs of corrosion or over heating - once it starts it must be fixed or it will grow. Replace plugs and sockets in pairs along with 8" of wire. And, I'm now convinced that the Marinco system is minimally adequate and only when maintained perfectly. The Smart Plug system is better insurance.

Here are my procedures for connecting and disconnecting shore power:
1. Turn off all high current heating and cooling appliances before connecting to shore power (i.e., converter, refrigerator, water heater, AC, furnace, space heaters, etc.). Don't do this at the main breaker - unless there is no breaker available at the pedestal; then you'll want to use the BF's main breaker to prevent arcing when connecting your power cable between the BF and the pedestal.
2. Make your power cord connections before turning on the pedestal breaker to avoid arcing at the connectors which can burn and pit the contact surfaces..
3. Turn on heating and cooling appliances sequentially to avoid an instantaneous full load.
4. Turn off power at the pedestal breaker before removing either end of your power cord to avoid arcing.
5. Turn off the heating and cooling devices' switches so they're ready for the next hook up.

Mike
Last edited by Mike Jean Bandfield on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Jean Bandfield

stevek wrote:What is the NEMA number for the Smart Plug?
Steve,
This was an answer to the same question posted on Amazon's product reviews:
Alan B on Amazon wrote:As of Jan 2014, NEMA certification is in the works. Intertek, ETL, certification has been done (OSHA considers Intertek same as UL approved).
Mike

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”