Shoreline Cable Plug Problem at Born Free Power Connection

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

whemme

Shoreline Cable Plug Problem at Born Free Power Connection

Post by whemme »

Kevin Mason sent me some photos of scary damage to both the connector on the end of his shoreline power cable and the mating connector on his Born Free coach. I explained to him that a common cause of this damage is when you plug the shoreline power cable into the power pedestal without first shutting off the 30-amp circuit breaker in the pedestal. As you mate two connectors together in which there is an immediate current draw, the mating terminals will arc and start to cause burn damage to those terminals. As the arcing damage continues over time from repeating connecting up to shoreline power with the pedestal 30-amp circuit breaker turned on, the damage caused by the resulting arcing will cause an increasing resistance to build up between the mating terminal which in turn will cause the terminals to over-heat, causing the insulation on the wires connecting to those terminal to over-heat and burn also and even cause burn damage to the outer insulation jacket of the shoreline power cable.

Four photos below show in his case what can result.

The message here should be clear - always shut off the circuit breaker in the power pedestal before hooking up to shoreline power!
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (113.09 KiB) Viewed 16972 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (104.13 KiB) Viewed 16972 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (106.97 KiB) Viewed 16972 times
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (100.98 KiB) Viewed 16972 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Ray

Re: Shoreline Cable Plug Problem at Born Free Power Connecti

Post by Ray »

Bill - Couldn't see the photos - Darn new software - :)

But your right on - I have seen this plenty of times on boats. And had to replace the socket/plug on my previous BF.

I have seen this more on boats as there is more corrosion on boats due to moisture and other elements. But keep the contacts as clean as you can (brush, sand paper, whatever) and when there are noticeable burn marks replace the plug/outlet. I know they are expensive - but thats the way to roll.

Bad connection = resistance/heat/burn/low voltage/more amp draw - and ????? (more heat/burn)

Kinda a problem that festers its self into bigger problems.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Wow - now I see the pics
fair winds

Post by fair winds »

Wow! That is what my plug-in looked like. The plug, however was tight and secure, but I think lightning hit in a huge Florida storm a couple weeks ago. Had to call Tweety's and get a new cord and inlet and the tech is coming Monday to put it in...he had made it usable until then. I think the socket at the 30amp post was melted too and the park replaced their post socket.
Lots of good advice on here and with great photos. Just wonder how to check the post in these parks for possible problems. Thank Heaven for my surge protector. Not sure how it worked, but while the post socket was melted somewhat and my chord and inlet were damaged, the surge protector (a Progressive 30amp outdoor type) had no visible effect on itself. It seems to work okay with the readouts and working order.
Anyone else have good advice on this subject? Is there anything else to do, such as having two surge protectors at the time as I read on another forum?
Donnis
2010 27' Born Free RSB
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

I had a similar problem with my old coach and I replaced the Marinco receptacle with a "Smart Plug" inlet. It fit exactly over the Marinco screw holes and was easy to replace. I suggest that you purchase a new "Smart Plug" RV cord rather than try to adapt your old cord. The RV cord with a 30 amp shoreside connector is available although I could not find it on their website. The Smart Plug has a significantly greater contact surface than the Marinco style plugs which increases the flow of electricity and reduces heat. It is also what is being installed on all new Born Free coaches.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
fair winds

Post by fair winds »

Thanks Joel and Sandy. Unfortunately the message I originally sent a week or so ago didn't go through or got lost, so I just received my new cord and inlet from Tweetys...they ship within a couple days. And since the inlet is truly in need of repair, I will use what came in yesterday and then look around to see if I can find a "Smart Plug" style inlet and see if it matches the new cord prongs. Maybe will call Kim Monday and see if I can get information as well.
One question: do the cord prongs from the regular cord match up with the Smart Plug? Does anyone have a photo of the new "Smart Plug" face? I have the new cord and Marinco and I don't want to wait weeks with the "unfixed" inlet, so I, out of necessity, will use the new cord and inlet. Just have to make sure it is a tight fit and doesn't have opportunity to arc.
Thank you for the information, and if anyone has more information it's greatly appreciated.
Donnis
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
fair winds

Post by fair winds »

Thanks for the photo! The next setup I get will definitely be this type. Alas, I have the Marinco and cord now, which being new should be okay for a while. Isn't there some sort of goop that goes on the prongs of the inlet and the cord that helps increase contact or prevents arcing?
Again, thank you all for the information.
Donnis
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I installed the Smart Plug in 2011, an excellent modification from the original Marinco. http://www.smartplug.com/index.html
Mel & Connie
fair winds

Post by fair winds »

While I wish I had known about the new power connection stuff, I will have to use what I have right now. Bought my Born Free right after Bill passed, and someone may have mentioned a new kind of plug and cord, but it was a confusing time and I didn't know what I didn't know :shock: . The old one lasted almost 5 years, and this new one will at least suffice until I can address getting the new style of plug and I want to study it a bit more to make certain I don't make any errors. Mr. Hemme's advice about making certain the electric is off at the post before hooking up, seems a good bit of advice. Also my surge guard should also be helpful. The first thing I do is check the socket at the post to see if it's damaged, then plug in my surge guard alone and let the screen tell me the information of voltage, herz, amps. Turn it off at the post, and then set up the cord connection tightly and turn on the electric and wait out the delay. I think if it's another "mother of all lightning storms" I'll unplug completely and just use the generator. Geez, it gets hot here. :twisted: Wonder how it is to drive in mountains.
Donnis
whemme

Post by whemme »

Below is a photo of the Smart Plug and compatible cable installed on a Born Free. And yes, the Marinco cable connector is not compatible with the new Smart Plug installed on the coach.
Attachments
photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG (148.01 KiB) Viewed 16768 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I still am not sure why the smart Plug is better than the Marinco plug. Can someone please enlighten me? Thanks!

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
stevek

Post by stevek »

I was wondering the same thing and why it is better.
From their website, this must be it?
http://www.smartplug.com/marine_features.html
and this..
http://www.smartplug.com/marine_why.html

Bottom line is it worth me updating my plug that came with my BF?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I agree that the Smart Plug may be easier to use since it snaps in rather the having the screw on ring of the Marinco plug, but other than that, I can't detect much difference, since my Marinco plug is weatherproof and has a locking feature (screw on ring). I recently replaced my 25-foot Marinco cordset with a 30-foot Furrion cordset, which is even more weatherproof and has a more secure locking ring.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... d-25/69580

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Bill & Steve - if you have the time here is a rather long article by a marine electrician comparing the Marinco and Smart plug system.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrica ... -post.html
Mel & Connie

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”