Generator cut-out problem

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ralph Strauch

Generator cut-out problem

Post by Ralph Strauch »

The combination of A/C and microwave apparently tripped a generator circuit breaker in my 2000 24' RSB last week, and I can't find a way to reset it. I've reset the circuit breaker on the side of the generator and those on the power panel in the rv, and still get no AC power from the generator. My original BornFree documentation includes a page describing a "Power Guard Overcurrent Protector" that looks like it might be an additional breaker in the circuit that could be the problem, but I can't find it. The instructions say it should be installed in the generator compartment but if it is, it must be somewhere inaccessible. I do find a 4" electrical box mounted on the underside of the unit near the generator, but its cover is plain with no reset button.

Shore power still works normally, so the problem must be between the generator and the transfer switch rather than after the transfer switch.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Ralph
Attachments
Electrical box.jpg
Electrical box.jpg (26.69 KiB) Viewed 6267 times
PowerGuard.jpg
PowerGuard.jpg (31.76 KiB) Viewed 6267 times
whemme

Re: Generator cut-out problem

Post by whemme »

Ralph,

My 2002 BF 26' RSB coach has a hidden breaker located under the kitchen sinks on a carpeted wall under the fresh water tank. Look for my post dated July 30, 2013 in the series of posts that you can view by clicking on the following direct clickable URL link: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... 836#p19836

There are two photos of this breaker in my coach. If you have this breaker in your coach, that might be the problem. However, the location of the breaker varies by model and not all models were equipped with it. Let me know if you locate one and resetting it fixes the problem.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Ralph Strauch

Post by Ralph Strauch »

Thanks Bill, that did it. My breaker box was in roughly the same place as your; I just hadn't bothered to unpack the stuff in that cabinet enough to find it. My sloppiness.

This also brings up an issue with the message board, though. When I search the board for "generator" the only results I got were from postings this year. I thought that was strange at the time, since it seemed doubtful that no one had ever posted a generator problem before. The search box indicates "all results" as the default choice, but apparently doesn't search the full forum as your earlier posts never came up.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Ralph
whemme

Post by whemme »

Ralph,

Our club recently completed (about a week ago) an update of our commercial phpBB forum to the newest version. Unfortunately, this new version has had some teething problems now mostly solved. I am aware of some search function problems as you have noticded and will be working with our ISP to solve them as time permits.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Ray

Post by Ray »

Sam

From the couple I have seen it appears they were mounted wear ever it was convenient at the time. My 1997 24' was mounted inside the kitchen cabinet under the sink forward of the water tank and on the front inside cabinet. I could not see it from looking in the cabinet. I had to get down on the floor and look up between the water tank and the cabinet wall to see it - and then kind of blindly reach back to push the button. On my first encounter I had to trace wires till I saw it back there wondering what it was. I did find some literature about it included in the stuff I got with the RV but it was only like one page.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Sam,

The location of that hidden circuit breaker in Ray' coach appears to be the same location as in mine. Refer to my earlier post above that contains two photos of that breaker box - click on the blue URL link to view the photos. You do have to open up the cabinet doors under the sinks, get down on your knees with your head close to the floor, and look up to see it. The breaker has a red reset button.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I do not have access to my BF at the moment, but I will carefully search and find mine.

Sam, have you done a careful and thorough search? Your posts seems to indicate you have not.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”