Input for coach absent of Spare tire

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

neutronrandy

Input for coach absent of Spare tire

Post by neutronrandy »

Please advise before departing cross country in 2008 BF BFT with E 350 chassis acquired 8 weeks ago.
My only thought is to subscribe a Coach-net Roadside service or Good Sam Service to be towed to the
closest Michelin radial distributor. A rear mount spare won't work with fiberglass bumper.
The forum's input will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Randy
96rsbowner

Re: Input for coach absent of Spare tire

Post by 96rsbowner »

randy, i carry a spare wheel and tire inside behind the the chair by the wall , i have a tow hitch and could get a hitch mount tire carrier but dont want the extra weight that far back. i have coach net service but there are times i cant get cellphone reception when i travel around the state here . i can change a tire if i have to . i know this isnt for everone but i like having everything i need to change one if i had to.
stevek

Post by stevek »

This is another option. If you have a front receiver hitch, you could carry in front.

Heres another pic I found to give you general idea. Not Mine..
Beware of the additional weight you are adding to the back.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

When I travel long distances like going to Alaska I carry a spare on top of my coach in the luggage area. It has worked good for me as I have never needed it.
whemme

Post by whemme »

Randy,

I am not sure if your 2008 Born Free BFT has true new style fiberglass rear bumper or the old style. The Leap' Lions club member listed below has designed and built a number of spare tire carriers for the older style rear bumper.

Virgil Dutton
Ft. McDowell, AZ
602-320-2853 (cell)
602-320-1232 (cell)
virgildutton@gmail.com

His carrier has been for sale at various times on our website forum in the section section titled Club Member Vendors - scroll near to the bottom to find it. A direct clickable link to his post is:

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... f=9&t=3779
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
neutronrandy

Post by neutronrandy »

Thanks to all with spare tire ideas and excellent photos. This is an excellent group
to know and interact online! I have the newer rear bumper and the rear door so perhaps
my best option is to incorporate a small trailer for the spare and our golf cart. THANKS, RANDY/
2008 22 ft/ BFT
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

We have Progressive insurance, with their roadside assistance coverage, which I always thought would take care of the occasional flat tire while traveling. (We do carry a spare tire [no rim]. It rests on the rear bumper which supports the weight of the tire and is secured to the roof ladder. See picture: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... hp?id=1773 )

Last week we threw the tread off both inside duallies at the same time. We called Progressive and were quite surprised to learn their roadside assistance does not cover any services that are incurred because of not having a spare tire or jack :shock:

I had pushed my 10 year old tires a little too far :oops: but fortunately we were quite lucky. The tires blew at about 40 mph on a gentle curve 10 miles from home. Our local Michelin dealer brought out 2 loaner tires, and put them on my rims at the site of the blowouts for $35 - in consideration for buying 6 new Michelin LTXs.

We lost 4 hours but were no worse for the experience. Now, I'm wondering if I need to get new insurance???? ...or a spare and jack? What will it cost us to have the tire guy come out to a remote Alaskan hwy and put on our spare tire? What companies still offer this coverage?
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
whemme

Post by whemme »

I also have Progressive insurance coverage for my Born Free. However, I also carry AAA Plus RV Roadside Assistance.

I follow the recommended advice to change out the tires every 5 years even though the 5 year old tires still look good and with good remaining tread depth.

A friend of mine with a Class A Blue Bird diesel pusher had a left front Michelin tire blowout several years ago. The tires were 9 years old but with only 26,000 miles on them. Total cost to repair the damaged coach was $120,000. He now changes tires every 5 years.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Mike Jean Bandfield

I know better but just kept putting it off cause we haven't taken any long trips and the tread looked so good yet - even with 53K miles. I had a spike near the edge of the tread in one of them last fall and the roadside tire tech said it looked like the separation started at the point where it was repaired. We're lucky to have only lost a mud flap. I've been reminding myself that my cheap, save-a-penny mindset could kill someone :!: The grandkids were on board.

Update:
I checked with Progressive again and they confirmed that even though the contract says they'll change the flat with "your spare". "Your spare" means "your inflated spare on a rim" and not a loose tire. It's still ambiguous what liability the policy holder has if the flat could be serviced with 'your jack and spare' and you didn't have one. Looking over AAA's roadside assistance and there is also ambiguity in their coverage as well. They require an "inflated spare" as well and excludes coverage of flats on vehicles with duallies. It's also twice the price of Good Sam. So it looks like I'll be canceling the roadside assistance option on the Progressive policy and getting Good Sam's for $80/year. Good Sam is pretty clear: They'll change your flat with your spare for free. If you have no spare the service call is covered but you'll pay for roadside work to change or repair tires.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Mike Jean Bandfield

Sam Ryan wrote: Mike ,
I'm of the belief that both your inner dually tires were at near zero air-pressure when you left your home that day.
Sam,
I'm pretty anal regarding tire pressure. All 4 were at 75 psi when we left home. I felt a vibration and thought it was probably a tire. I slowed and looked for a turnout for about a mile when the other side started vibrating. 10 seconds later they blew. The tire guy said he's seen several go like that. He also zeroed in on a split emanating from a previously patched hole and said it was a likely cause.
Everyone should research and realize the limits of their roadside policies, before needing them. The other week I pointed out where your coach's insurance carrier will perhaps raise your rates or drop you completely, if you ever use the roadside assistance coverage that comes with your policy - if you have such coverage. -Also, learn what these policies will and won't cover. Mine has a $750 limit to what it will pay in towing, but using it may jack the insurance premium sky high.
I agree and though I had recently read the policy, I failed to recognize it was subject to interpretation. The Good Sam coverage is a separate policy that should should not trigger rate hikes. Their contractual wording in the policies and their advertising is also much less ambiguous than Progressive or AAA. That makes me feel better.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Ray

Post by Ray »

:? :? :? :? :? :?

Discount tire is good

Got my last tires there (Firestone) - I listened to Bill - my tire tread was darn near perfect, but tires old.

A couple had slight side wall cracks so I had them pitched - the others I sold for around $35 bucks each if I remember right - I think the guy offered $30 - I said $40, and he said $35 was fine, or something close to that.

Out of date tires have a market - just not on a highway vehicle or RV
Ray

Post by Ray »

WoW - I didnt know that, I am going to have to check into this. I have roadside thru my insurance and also Good Sam as a back up - Maybe neither is what I really want/need

Does anyone know if anyone will help you out if you dont carry a spare tire or rim?

I guess I always assumed that you could call the insurance roadside or Good Sam roadside and tell them I dont have a spare bring a tire with you - I realized you would probably pay a premium for the tire but thought that was a option.

Maybe it isnt???????
Ray

Post by Ray »

OK - To clarify Sams comment :(

Straight from Good Sam, 1-800-842-5351

Good Sam WILL NOT not cover the charge for mounting the tire on the rim.

Good Sam WILL pay for the service call for them to come out and mount the tire on the rim

Now the one little hitch here is the service provider has to have the capability to mount the tire on the rim roadside.

If there are no service companies in the area that have the capability to mount the tire on the rim roadside Good Sam WILL pay to have the RV towed to the service provider.

I feel more comfortable with that - now I have to call my insurance company and see what they will do, but nobody would be interested in that.

One last caveat - There are some places and situations that darn near nothing can help you out and you may be stuck by the side of the road for what may seem to be an eternity - - - - Hey, Dallas - How long did it take to get a service provider up in the great north country????
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Ray,

It took 28 hours to get a tow truck to my accident site. I was 183 miles from Dawson City. I must say that my USAA roadside assistance policy paid the entire cost which was more than $1200. The problems I encountered were unique to my unusual roadside assistance needs. USAA has notified me recently that they have made changes to their towing procedure as a result of my accident and my complaints

http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... ity#p20623
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Mike Jean Bandfield

Sam Ryan wrote:The basic Good Sam policy will not pay for changing out a new tire to wheel that blew. I found that out too. They would not even come out because of no mounted spare tire. Lots to learn getting up to speed regards these roadside policies.
Sam, I think that policy may have changed.
Good Sam (not to be confused with Sam Ryan who is a 'Very Good Sam' :) ), from their website [url]http://www.goodsamroadside.com/rv/ra/[/url]: wrote: With over 40% of motorhomes disablements being tire related, and less than 5% of motorhomes that carry a spare – this benefit is priceless.
I hope that isn't just hype or marketing speak!

Good Sam's pdf policy supports this advertising innuendo. Methinks some product team comprised of a product manager and a lawyer at Progressive (both, totally out of touch with the realities of RV'ing) wrote the product description and the legalese.

Progressive's contracted consumer experience interviewers called me today and I gave them an earful - including this public discussion. Maybe Progressive will wake up.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”