Did the test drive today

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jobrien

Did the test drive today

Post by jobrien »

I took the 3 hour drive to the closest BF dealer this morning to look at the 26' RSB and RB models. While there I took one out for a test drive of course. It was a 2006 model. Drove nice, comparable to my Jeep. Big difference from driving my current class A. Sitting in the cab, I could easily forget about the extra height over my head and the extra width outside.

Really hard to decide between the models though. Seems the RB has much more closet space, while the RSB of course offers more sleeping alternatives. If we decide to use the overhead bunk area, the dogs would have a huge dog bed in the back :lol: We sometimes bring our 2 granddaughters with us, so the extra sleeping area would be better for those times.

Option wise, are there any "unpublished" ones you have, or anything you truly regret not having? I know these choices are personal and made to suit you.

I'm leaning toward the RSB model (if the wife approves) so if you have one and have made any modifications, can you share them? HAve you had the factory customize it in any way for you?

Thanks again to everyone who has answered my 1,001 questions. I really appreciate the input (one day my wife might also) :shock:

John
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

Strictly because of personal reasons, we would never choose a RSB. The RSB galley and bath lavatory areas each have less counter space than the RB, especially in the 24' models. And we really don't like the idea of losing the living space taken up by the dedicated bed in the RSB. Add that to the smaller bath and galley arrangements, and the RB models are much more practical to us. Yes, we have to set up the sofabed each evening, but we have more flexible living space in the coach.

Of course, if you need extra space for your grandchildren, the C/O bed probably would be a practical setup. But we don't travel with our grandchildren, and we have no desire or intention to climb up into a C/O bed. So, we love the extra storage space we have with the entertainment center. We love our Born Free, but know it's too small for us to have others join us on a trip, because we would want more than extra sleeping space . . . we would want more floor and living space. We cannot imagine having four or six of us on a trip in a 24' or 26' Born Free, and then being stuck inside because of bad weather. We decided long ago that we would need a Class A to be able to take the grandkids or any others along for a trip, and still be comfortable.

We're sure that others have different opinions, but we gave our need for floor and living space very serious consideration when we did our research and made our choice to purchase a 24' RB.
Barbara & Ken
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Barbara and Ken;

Thanks for your feedback. When I looked at the models today, one had the entertainment center. It consisted of 3 cabinet fronts. The tv was mounted on the middle cabinet door. There was a HUGE amount of space behind those doors. A great spot for smuggling aliens across the border :lol: :lol:

I was thinking that with the oc bed option, we could still use it for storage also. Use the back half to store things and still have the front to sleep on if needed, or use it as a whole bed when needed.

Counter space is at a premium in both models. Would probably look for some kind of a flip up counter extension to mount someplace.

When I think back to the 12'x12' tent we had with 2 kids and a dog in it, a 26' motorhome sounds BIG. Of course now we are spoiled from having a 33' and a 32' class A with 2 slides. The more space we have the more "stuff" we bring.

John
Still in the thinking stage
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

You're correct about the huge amount of storage space in the C/O area of the coach. We have ours organized with Rubbermaid type containers and wire shelves. It's a great enclosed area to stash the Travasak and pillows, too. If you use a C/O bed area for storage, you might consider putting a web type "tailgate fence" across the area to stop everything from falling onto the driver/passenger. (Sorry, don't know what those "fences" actually are called.)

We just don't want to climb into a C/O area for sleeping. In the last two years, I have fallen and broken bones: the first time was my right leg at the ankle and four weeks ago it was my right collar bone, plus head injuries. This time I had a huge, ugly black eye and Ken's been getting a lot of dirty looks!! I've had enough with broken bones, already!! :oops:

I suggest that you do a lot of research before you make your floor plan decision. Since you're not a first time MH owner, you also can do a lot of "visualization" of how each Born Free model would work for you and your wife . . . and those three big fur kids.

Our Born Free 24' RB was a perfect choice for us . . . and our cat. But it also made us want to become fulltimers. Now, we are planning to buy a Class A, and that's the ONLY reason our much loved Born Free is for sale.

Barbara

P.S. By the way, "smuggling aliens across the border" isn't a joke out here, it's a reality. We actually drove the Born Free out to a southern New Mexico Minuteman base camp for an afternoon visit a couple of months ago. The experiences and photos those patriots shared with us were incredible. Not only about the numbers of illegals they have reported to the Border Patrol, but the illegals that they helped by providing water and food while they waited for BP agents to arrive.
Barbara & Ken
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

I can still climb the ladder and Greg does snore, so we picked the RSB so we could put some distance between us on the nights when the allergies kick up the snoring level. I didn't think I could get comfortable on the fold out sofa bed, so I really enjoy climbing up the ladder to a very comfortable nest (put a foam topper on the Born Free cushion).

The dogs have actually all slept on the pulled out sofa. Greg sleeps on the RSB.

Three sleeping areas for all our needs! I could store things in the front of the cab-over, but I roll up my bedsack and foam topper and it fills up that area.

What we give up in counter space in bath and kitchen we make up for in sleeping arrangements. Life is such a compromise!

But while I grouse about the lack of kitchen counter space (and NONE of the models would give me enough room) our first concern was sleeping well. If we don't rest well we don't travel well. So that became our first priority. It just turned out that what worked best for our sleeping needs would also accomodate dogs/grandkids/other guests if needed. But that wasn't a priority.

We fold most of our clothes. The closet provides more than enough room for our hanging items, plus carries all our gallon water jugs, brooms, garbage can, umbrella, dog supplies, etc. We've been quite pleased with the cabinets beside the sink and above the RSB for all the folded items.

But if we had the other model, we would love it too! Can't imagine traveling in anything other than a Born Free!

Good luck with your decision!
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Having both grown up it large families and having 4 kids of our own we are used to "making do" and the RB or standard RSB would not have been unworkable for us. But since we bought new we got to have it our way. For once that was nice.

We chose a 26' RSB but had the factory put a 2nd fold down sofa in the rear instead of the permanent configuration of the rear side bed. As I recall there was little or no additional charge for this configuration change. We call it a 26' RSS.

I'm a night person and Jean is a morning person. And on those voyages lasting longer than the lunar cycle the togetherness gets - well - we sometimes like our own space and to be on our own schedule.

With flat screen tvs and today's small AV components we are able to piece together a very nice entertainment suite without dedicating very much storage space to it. The facory helped by putting in speaker and coax from the "TV" cabinet over the closet to both the front and rear of the coach with additional 12vdc and 110vac power outlets in the front and rear locations. Dedicating the over the cab space to the entertainment center was akin to giving up the master bedroom for a TV - to us anyway. We also like the idea of having soft bedding overhead instead of big and heavy glass and metal boxes in the event of a collision.

We both sleep in the cabover bed and feel that is a very efficient use of that space. A Costco memory foam topper made it a great bed. So when Jean goes to bed early I go to the RSS (Rear Side Sofa) and work on the computer, watch TV or read. And with the dawn you will find me sawing logs in the overhead and Jean watching the Early Show and sewing, listening to music, reading or working on the computer in the back room. We don't always do this but it is an option we frequently use and sometimes just knowing the option is there is all that is needed to make the close quarters feel more comfortable. Having our separate space and time alone makes the RSS a very good compromise for us. We like that a lot and it's not easy to come by in coaches under 30'. That's not to say that we wouldn't like a another 12" of counter space in the galley :)

I think the 26' RSB has a little better weight distribution and handling than the RB although that didn't influence our decision (and I may be wrong about that). The safety and handling characteristics of the BF were our first consideration although esthetics were a big factor for Jean and ergonomics for me. Trading slide-outs for structural integrity was a no brainer. Since we spend a lot of time on the narrower back roads the thinner design and overall profile of the smaller motorhome makes the BF much easier to drive than wide body coaches.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Mike and Jean;

Having a RSS is a great idea. Being able to exchange ideas with current owners is one of the great things about forums like this. Getting practical hints and tips from real people who are actually using the product can't be beat.

And having a manufacturer such as BF who is willing to work with a customer is a rarity today.

Thanks again for the ideas.

John
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Mike;

How long is the sofa bed in the "back room" and where did you mount the tv?

Thanks again.

John
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

jobrien wrote:Mike;

How long is the sofa bed in the "back room" and where did you mount the tv?
John,

I believe the rear sofa is exactly the same size as the salon sofa. I'll try and remember to measure it the next time we're out at the ranch site. (Our Born Free is doing double duty as our construction office and temporary facilities. We are in the middle of building a new house which has consumed our lives temporarily.)

Since the new house has taken priority we haven't got all the details of the LCD TV mounts worked out yet. When we figure it out the LCD TV will be easily moved between a mount on the pantry wall in the back room, a mount above the driver's seat for viewing in the cabover bed and something like a jotto desk between the driver seat and the copilot seat for viewing from the salon.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”