new beds

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

new beds

Post by 5865 »

Has anyone replaced the sofa bed and chairs to put in twin beds? My wife can't climb the ladder to sleep up top, so we sleep on the sofa bed. As you know it is a little tight. We were thinking about changing it over to twin beds.
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

You might consider having the sofabed "widened" instead of replacing the lounge chairs. That's what we did instead of having a second sofa installed.

See the discussion on page 5, Nov. 22, entitled "widening the sofa bed," where you will find our explanation and description. It also included a posting from a BF owner who had a second sofa installed.
Barbara & Ken

new beds

Post by 5865 »

We like the captain chairs and the table, but would like a better bed. We widened the sofa 5", but I sleep on the outside and I'm sinking into the top on the sofa. We had the sofa cushion padding replaced with thicker material. This didn't help.
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

We use an upholstered memory foam mattress topper that we purchased from Camping World. I also sleep on the outside of the sofabed, and this mattress topper made a big comfort difference for me. But then my setting on our Sleep Number bed is only 35. So, this mattress topper might not help your problem. Maybe a "support board" might help; one that can be folded and stored behind the sofa back. Have to admit that I don't where you would find something like that, though.
Barbara & Ken
robert

Post by robert »

We use a sofa bed and a twin bed.

To counter the problems with the sofa bed, I purchased a two inch piece of foam which is placed on the back part of the sofa to equalize it with the seat portion of the sofa (when it is open). I also bought a foam topper which I place over the entire bed. that makes for a smooth bed.

I have storage area in the cab over so that I am able to put away the foam piece and the topper during the day.

The new cab over enterterainment system with the LCD TV on the door would probably allow you to do the same.
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

when we ordered our 26ft rear bath we did so with twim sofas but have now replaced them with twin beds which we like better -- I also had removable backs made that go against the outside walls so you have a back rest when sitting on the beds as a sofa -- I then got a fold-up table from wal mart and placed a walnut table top on it for the dinning table -- it works great - I'll be at the home comming if you would like to see it -- BobN
Barbara & Ken

Post by Barbara & Ken »

robert wrote:I have storage area in the cab over so that I am able to put away the foam piece and the topper during the day.

The new cab over enterterainment system with the LCD TV on the door would probably allow you to do the same.

We also use a foam strip to level the sofabed, then place the upholstered mattress topper over the entire sofabed and foam surfaces. However, we roll the foam strip and the mattress topper lengthwise (separately) and store them behind the sofa back. Fills in the extra space behind the sofa back . . . and keeps the cat from getting under the sofa.
Barbara & Ken
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

We've got the twin beds in our BFT. We love them. I'm sure the factory can replace your sofa and chairs with the twins beds. Why compromise?

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”