Tire Balancing Beads

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

cmeadows

Re: Tire Balancing Beads

Post by cmeadows »

Mary,

Thanks for catching this . . . it looks like the previously mentioned Crosman BB has been changed to the new one that you found. Here are the new beads that I will be using:

GameFace 5000 Count Maximum Precision Black Airsoft BBs, 0.25gm (Model: 25GPB5J)
http://www.amazon.com/GameFace-Maximum- ... B00IVKB72Q

You will only need 1 jar of beads. I use 3 ounces of beads per tire.

I use a ratio of 3/4 ounce of beads for every 10 pounds of tire. That ratio has always worked fine for me. If you use 3 ounces of beads per tire, you will have enough to balance 14 tires. Because of where the beads run inside the tire, 3 ounces of beads is equal to 5 ounces of traditional rim mounted wheel weights.

You can make this easy for your installer by premeasuring the beads into 6 – 3 ounce ziplock bags. Then all the installer has to do is dump them in. I also carry a couple bags in the coach in case we need tire service while traveling.

Chuck
Attachments
GameFace 5000 Count Maximum Precision Black Airsoft BBs 0.25gm.jpg
GameFace 5000 Count Maximum Precision Black Airsoft BBs 0.25gm.jpg (107.64 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
Mary

Post by Mary »

Thanks for the heads up on the confirmation of the correct item to order, suggestion to measure correct amount into baggies for the installer and the need to purchase only one jar of BB's. Now all I have to do is figure out how to measure contents for each bag, order my tires and I'm good to go. :)

BTW, do you hear the tinkling of the BB's when you stop or start?
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Mary, I bought a small pocket scale from Harbor Freight (about $14.00) and it works well.
Mel & Connie
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

Instead of using scales to measure the beads into 3 ounce bags, you could divide the jar of beads evenly into 14 baggies. A slightly rounded 1/4 cup measurement will get very close to the 3 ounce weight. Another method would be to count—340 beads per bag. :) You could take whatever beads are leftover and divide them among the 14 baggies.

We don't hear the tinkling noise in our coach—but it's a diesel and we usually have the dash fan on high. With the V10 gas engine and steel wheels, the tinkling noise is probably not noticeable with the dash fan on.

Mary, if I understand correctly, you now own Mel's coach and it has Alcoa aluminum wheels. With the V10 gas engine and Alcoa aluminum wheels on the front of the coach, I'd say that yes, you will hear the beads without the dash fan or radio on. I have a gas V8 pickup truck with aluminum wheels and I can hear the beads tinkling down on the front wheels if I'm not running the dash fan or radio.
Attachments
3oz -- quarter-cup slightly rounded -- or count of 340 beads.jpg
3oz -- quarter-cup slightly rounded -- or count of 340 beads.jpg (200.05 KiB) Viewed 3089 times
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”