Garmin GPS

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bill crommett

Garmin GPS

Post by bill crommett »

This thread does not involve a discusion of the 2730 or any other RV attached GPS, but rather an older hand held Garmin GPS # 48 which does not function any more because of a discharged Lithium "memory" battery. This unit appears to fall into the class of " no consumer access " because there is no apparant access to the guts of this machine so one could change out the internal memory battery. Does any one out there know of repair facilities other than returning the unit to the factory and being told to buy a new and better and more expensive unit ?
robert

Post by robert »

I suspect you are out of luck. I have had the same experience with a handheld, Dell Axim 3. I keep on getting a warning message that my battery is low and need changing, but there is no way to charge it or replace it. I must keep the main batteries charged at all times or I lose all of my data.

These early models were made in China back a few years, and I assume your Gramin was made there also.
whemme

Post by whemme »

bill crommett,

If you have not already done so, please go to this Garmin website address
http://www.garmin.com/products/gps48/ and click on the FAQs button on the left. It gives a couple of different procedures to recharge your internal memory battery there
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bill crommett

Garmin GPS

Post by bill crommett »

Thanks, Bill. I plugged the unit in over night, but according to the instructions that was not long enough. So I will start over.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”